for Dinoaurs - a wander down memory lane

Posted , 8 users are following.

Calling all dinosaurs. Frequently something on the forum, and elsewhere for that matter, sparks a memory that I have not though of in decades. such was the case just yesterday when the grocer's boy came to mind. Where has he gone? Where his iconic cycle with its big basket and small wheel up front? Pop your memories here. Other dinosaurs will enjoy the memory. The young will be amazed or even perplexed at the things we dinosaurs have tucked away in our memories.

6 likes, 401 replies

401 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My goodness, George - what a topic!  Most of us on here are old, or even ancient,(forgive me if you are young!).  You'll probably have hundreds of answers.

Constance

• Posted

Ha ha George,  the Corona van!

We were talking about Mac Fisheries recently too

• Posted

Me and Tiswas were talking about how our grandmas used to scrub their stone steps! Who on earth would do that now? lol

I miss the sixpence, marbles (actually I have marbles now), jacks, the lucky bag. I think children today are missing how great it was to go out to play safely when there were more open spaces, woods, parks etc.

• Posted

do you also remember that milk bottles were left on terraced houses windowsils not on the step ..are our lovely milkman loved the sound of the claterring bottles then followed by the post man .3 delivarys a day with a morning sunday post . along with the sunday papers. 

oh and my post office savings book. 

and little packs of sugar in blue bags 1ilb bags  2oz tins of nescafe 

brookbond tea with the orange stamp on the front . to put on a s avings card , 2/6 for half a card and 5/- for a full card .

green sheild stamps . oh the simple joys of british life .cheesygrin

• Posted

oh yes a pint for 30p and shorts for 35p  10p bus ride into town adult fare 40p to get in to pictures ,40p roller disco ,40p to get to dancing, 10p a bag of chips . pr of platforms a £5 a skirt from chelsea girl a £5 

yes boutiques remember them .not many now,god stop me now before i go mad .opps sorry to late rolleyes

• Posted

Metal Golliwog badges in cereal that you'd save stamps and collect! I loved the roller disco! eek and in another town later the ice skating rink and roller disco. I remember the Saturday morning pictures for 5p because I used to take my younger brother and sister. We'd better not hijack this thread!
    • Posted

hi yes i remember going saturday morning pictures with my brothers for 5p we also had a ice rink in leicester we had an out door one in december rigth in the main shopping area. to . i used to like speedway . and bangor racing which we also had not to mention a great football team  .bangor and speedway track gone now . cry
    • Posted

Do you remember the horsedrawn milkfloat and taking out a jug to be filled by the milkman from his measuring jug?  The man who came round with his grinding machine to sharpen knives, too, springs to mind.
    • Posted

not quite hun but i remember my nan telling me about them apparently they mended sauspans as well . i remember going to the offliscence for sweets and people coming in with jugs for beer or sherry . 

returnable pop bottles, and the rag and bone man .with a horse . the big recyling boom we were recyling for ages before this nonsence with bins and better .and the word that gets right up my nose 

is upcycling its recycling and we have been doing it for generations its not new only differance was in the past it was a nessesity now its a fashion statement .cheesygrin

• Posted

Oh yes, the Saturday Matinee, that was fun but only allowed when weather was bad. Cowboys and injuns then, Westerns now. The guy in the white hat never got shot so you knew who to cheer. And the near riot every time the heroine got kissed. Mmm that was fun.
    • Posted

happy days foggy nights as they used to say .

no idea what it means .eek

• Posted

Certainly I don't remember any food being wasted.  A meal was cooked and we ate it.  No choice!  I would rather forget the awful smog created by all those coal fires, though.
    • Posted

I agree Katlin, we were forced to eat food we didn't even like!

We grew vegetables and once my Sunday dinner had a slug in the cabbage. My parents said eat it, not the slug, the dinner after they'd removed it. I refused and went to my bedroom. That was just too much! eek

• Posted

grubs full of protien hun hahah , my great uncle grew veg and beautiful flowers he really had green fingers, and i loved him dearly .

but not when he gave my dad marrow to bring home ,YUK i hate marrow 

its desgusting .eek

• Posted

Hi Georgia again,

LOL.. at your slug in the cabbage! I'm so glad I am not the only person that suffered from this, but mine wasn't a slug! I was eating my Sunday Roast as normal and found a bloated dead caterpiller in it, I thought that was disgusting! I haven't touched cabbage since, I will eat all other vegatables but green or white cabbage is a NO NO!

I suppose I can't blame my mother really, she was blind in one eye from an accident in her teens. Shame she passed away before I had chance to say good bye, I did not reach the hospital in time.

Oh yeah, while I'm on this subject - and after I had moved out she had friends around, and offered them a cup of tea.. one of the ladies started chocking, eventually she managed to cough it up .... it was a curtain hook that was in her cup of tea! She meant well, and very friendly with so many friends. It was through her friends that I got to sell my paintings and drawings, and even pencil portraits. Course now that is one thing I cannot do...

• Posted

You remind me of the caterpiller blight in, I think it was 77. They were all over our house walls.

If you don't mind me asking why can't you paint and draw now?

• Posted

going to smokless zones and using smokeless coal helped in prove things

alot ,and smog was caused by still air and people backing up there fires and burning unsuitable rubbish on them.mostly , i know my grandparent burnt electric fires when there was a smog smile

i think it was more the  coal fired power stations and steam railways and steam canal boats that caused a problem .which went on well in to the 60s .

still love coal and wood burners , we live in north yorkshire and when i had my fire up untill last year was still allowed to use ordinary house coal as we are not in a smokeless zone .

• Posted

Now it is rare around here I love the reek of a coal fire. It transports me back decades. The smog I read about in the papers, and the smokeless zone being introduced for London.
    • Posted

Food wasted! During WWII the rations gave a healthy diet if you ate it. Adults ate it. Children were taught to eat it for there was nothing else. Indeed how many mothers went short to give their children just a tiny but more. I remember my big brother getting a terrible row from my usually mild mother for taking a second roll. I was 4 at the time. I did not understand but I noticed. Plates had always to be eaten clean, no arguments.

After the war the diet was less good for the rations were cut.

• Posted

Dear Katlin, do I remember the horse drawn milk cart! One of St Cuthberts Coop carts was driven by James Bond himself - before he was James Bond that is. I remember the floats in Edinburgh very well. 

My wife goes one better. She remembers her immensly strong milkman. He hoisted his milk churn from the cart onto his shoulder and carried it into the kitchen. There he ladled the milk into jugs. Then up on his shoulder and back up the setps to his cart.

The butcher brought the order and placed it in the larder and later in the fridge. 

The customers got service in those days. It was much more pleasant than finding you are an inconvenience to a modern large company. Some you cannot even communicate with when they foul up.

• Posted

Hi Tiswas, if only we could pay in today's money. Wages were very slim then.
    • Posted

the plain and simple fact of todays obessity epidemec is SUPERMARKETS .

when i was as old as 14 in 1974, people still used local  shops like [ARKWRIGHTS] and brought what they needed daily not what they were conned into buying thru packaging and speicial offers ,

ham and bacon were cut from joints and cheese from blocks .and mostly we shopped daily

brought as we needed.

i dont remember many fat people then . pity that even then, the local shops were on there way out . to be replaced by food giants .good food is fresh food ,war time helped us stay healthy the 50s took sugar of ration and saw us go a bit mad but still mostly ate at meals times and not in between .

now with so much food available and multi packs of all the unhealthy stuff .

stand up tescos, sainsburys, etc take a bow for encouraging people to over shop and other eat . and do we remember maggie thatcher messing about with school dinners saying that you can get as good nutrion from a burger as you can from a piece of meat  i think she was minster of education then ,and she stopped our kids milk . except nusery schools.

mad

• Posted

and was also partly responable for the invention of the machince that puffed air into icecream to make the crap the call mister whippy ,

if i am having a ice cream its from the itailian cafe on our sea front proper ice cream .cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Doc!

I just came across this discussion.  I'm not getting all the notifications via email.  Oh well.  

I recall one day I had to make a phone call from the drug store and I only put a nichol in it!  LOL I always follow up with this that someone probably put in the rest and forgot to collect it after they were finished.  No, it wasn't the case, I did make a phone call for a nichol! Beat that! lolol

<3 frustrated>

• Posted

Oh yeah, and the penny candy!  You could get like 6 squirrls for a penny.  For 5 cents you could almost fill a little brown bag up with candy.  Amazing.  Now, for 5 cents you can get one squirrl and it's half the size.  Many more candies for a penny but at the moment I cannot think of any!  Help?

XXFrustrated

• Posted

and sugar weighed out into stout brown paper bags. 

There was a chair the customer's side of the counter. A kindly service for older or infirm customers.

That splendid machine with the disc blade to cut bacon and ham.

That array of drawers behind the grocer out of which came many of the smaller items while open sacks contained bulk items to be weighed out as required.

• Posted

Do those proper ice cream places still serve Nickerbocker Glories? Perhaps just the factory stuff. That would be a shame.
    • Posted

the one in scarborough is still owned by the same itailain family

its been there decades the diner has  very much 1950s feel

they sell proper icecream made to the same oringal recipe

you can tell because it really fills you up .

they do knickerbocker glories and icecream floats to  its beautifulcheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Frustrated, great you are able to be on the forum this evening.

A nickle eh? Two coppers here. While you were doing collect calls we were doign reverse charge calls. What was your name for trunk calls also known as long distance calls. They had to be put through by the operator. Remember what an operator was, or did you have your own name. We had press button B. You got your money back if no answer. Press button A and your money clattered noisily into the metalic recesses of the equipment and your call was put through. Remember how you had to book transatlantic calls. They cost a bomb, as we used to say. Couldn't say that now. It would cause a national emergency. Here we had a choice of a big black handset tethered to a stand. For an additional fee you could rent a phone in off white. They called it ivory. You could not buy your phone. You had to rent it.

• Posted

Ooo Tizwas so you can have real live deja vue down memory lane in Scarborough. What a grand place.
    • Posted

yep, nickle lol not nichol (she's a friend of mine smile  )  Thank you Doc for the acknowledgement of being on tonight.  It's a night that will be short.  I still have PM's to answer and I'll get to those later or tomorrow.  Much love

Frustrated

• Posted

I remember when we had to put a penny in slots in public toilets to go, hence the term 'spend a penny' if you've heard it.
    • Posted

oh happy days jigging on the spot searching for a penny . then a nice lady toilet attendant came out with some change . 

oh how clean most of those attended toilets were . 

not so now thats if you can find any . eek

• Posted

Oh yes, Georgia. That was a very common expression.

"I must spend a penny"

"Just got to spend a penny"

"Where's the ..er. I've got to spend a penny"

I t must have been an old expression. I used it with my parents and aunts and uncles. Not with school fellows and friends my age. What expresion did we use?  ah yes " going to the bog". Yet the penny in the slot lock was still in wide use when I was at school. I remember my outrage when Edinburgh Waverly Station put up the price to a shilling.

• Posted

Hey Les, your story about the curtain hook in the tea reminded me about a certain cupa the wife made for me - she's a little short sighted! Got the tea and it had a twang of 'essence' about it like Darjeeling but she assured me it was normal tea. Anyway I drank it but the last mouthful had loads of bits in it and I needed to spit it out which revealed she'd made my tea in a cup that had been used for keeping paint brushes soft and still had white spirits in it, hence the taste!! I make my own tea now lol.
    • Posted

The expressions used these days are unreal:

"Going to the bog" - still quite common

"Going to the sh*thouse" - is another!

"Going to pebble dash the bog" - thats used often

"Got a log to drop" - is another!

"The dams about to burst" is another!

"Need to drop a nuke!" is another!

There are many more, but that's the ones that go around schools! these days, well some of them, others I wouldn't repeat! LOL

• Posted

Lmao Blu! Are you sure she's not trying to kill you? If I were you I'd be extra nice from now on. razz
    • Posted

My friend Luchia says the best one 'I'm going toileting'. 
    • Posted

My fave is 'it's mahogany log time' lol
    • Posted

Splutter, memory...my son's dad had a poo when workmen were working in the back yard, and they'd done something to the pipes. HIs mahogany log shot down the pipe, landed at their feet! lol And he said it was the biggest one he'd ever done. 
    • Posted

You missed 'Having a dump'. Just in case you're gathering info for a dictionary on toileting. I wouldn't want you to miss out.. 
    • Posted

or as jim royal says in the royal family ,i am going to have a little baby of my own 
    • Posted

Hello Blu and Les, 

I liked your tea adventures. They had me chuckling. But really I shouldn't especially with the delicate flavour of white spirits and old paint which could have been serious.

It puts me in mind of the occasion a couple of friends dropped in while my wife was out. I offered them tea which they accepted eagrely. So I made it. Infused it for about five minutes and, since my wife was out, poured large mugs of my steaming brew out for them. Their protests were quick in coming. I had fogotten put any tea in the pot.

I have never lived that down. Every time I offer tea thee rare hoots of derision. Anyone is allowed to make tes but me! ! sad

• Posted

Hi Les,

I do lead a sheltered existance. Those are choice, amusing and graphic.

Going to the loo (derived from the French l'eau) and toilet (also derived from the French toilette) all very elegant.

Bog after Mr Bog the maker of  the ceramics for water closets and his rival in that line of business was Mr Crapper.

I expect there are many hundreds if we go back through the centuries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.