For the first time in 15 years i feel normal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered from suicidal depression for 15 years. And anxiety for 5 years

18 years ago my dad died suddenly. 3 year's later my youngest brother died of cancer six months after being diagnosed.

My brothers doctor came to my sister's house to fill out the death certificate. Because we were caring for him there . And we were upset obviously upset

so he gave us a prescription each before he left. For antidepressants now i had never been depressed didn't even know anything about antidepressants

And for the next ten years i was okay or so i thought.

What i didn't realise is that a lot of things that I suffered from or had were probably due to the medication i was on and am still on but at much lower doses and am reducing slowly.

Over the years my antidepressants were changed. But it was never suggested that I should come off of them or reduce them ever.

Five years ago I was really ill with severe panic attacks and suicidal depression and the doctor decided again that I would have to have my antidepressant changed. So she took me off of my dosulpin 90 and put me on mirtazapine 45mg and it took me 2yrs to get over that cut. Not knowing what was wrong with me, not realising that I was having withdrawal symptoms i kept going to the doctors and she kept changing my meds

So the last five years have been hell how i am still here today i do not know. I have learnt so much from this sight .I've spent almost a year reading peoples post and deciding weather or not to join.

And I've spent so much time trying to find something to help me so as would not have to spend the rest of my life taking antidepressants, which give me anxiety and don't help my depression much either.

And what I've found is niacin. It gets rid of anxiety gives me support when I make a cut in my meds, and makes me feel normal . You can read up about it online everywhere

It's amazing and has given me back my life . You have to buy the niacin that makes you flush. And start on the lowest dose possible and increase gradually. Once you flush you can stay at that dose .Don't be afraid of the flush.

The feeling of peace and calm that you get after is amazing and no anxiety. Read about it and educate yourself and then you may want to try it. It is not harmful its a b vitamin b3 actually . It's give to people by the hospitals and doctors and it's very successful for people that suffer from schizophrenia

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline good to hear your story.. glad youv joined.. some real nice helpful people on here..& it's good for when you cnt sleep.. there's always someone to help ?? I'm quite like u .. I came off mirt & straight onto venlafaxine it's took 4-5 months for it to work.. Iv been feeling pretty suicidal of late because iv never felt so crap on meds I was starting to think it's just me ..the way I am nothing can help me.. but youv just hit the nail on the head iv ob been goin thr WD too. All the side effects I had with mirt . Ever known anything like it bt thought I was hitting old age before my time until I saw every1 is in the same place bar 2peoplease who were very lucky..

so how come the docs don't give us this vital b3?? Surely it's cheaper than drugs x

• Posted

Hi Sharon. You've answered your own question. Big pharm cannot make a profit out of it so there not interested.

I don't know why doctors don't give it to patients. My doctor never gave it to me. I did my own

research on different things. But the information is all over the Internet

about b3 and it's amazing and successful benefits on mental health

Anxiety etc.

• Posted

Hi Caroline iv asked the chemist he said no such thing as B3 ?? even when I said what it is for.. Iv googled it .. all I can find is high blood pressure & cholesterol. .

• Posted

Hi Sharon I just googled vit b3 and it came up for me try typing in niacin either worked for me

• Posted

Sharon amazon sells niacin. I don't think that the chemist sells it. Holland and Barrett sell it as well but not the one that you would want. They only sell the non flushing kind. You would need to get the one that makes you flush. If you were going to get it. I don't know if the doctors do it. But if you buy a good vit b supplement niacin is in that

But it's not enough if you buy it like that. I started at 50mg and will increase my dose after a week

• Posted

Hi caroline this post has got me very interested. Im on 7.5mg of mirt having come down from 15 but the depression is rearing its ugly head again. I get vitimin b12 onjections every 12 weeks and am going to ask the doctor tomoro about niacin. I get flushong anyway and terrible periods so maybe this will help me x
    • Posted

Kelly that's a good idea to talk to your doctor tomorrow. It would be a good idea to read up about it online as well. If you do decide to take it you have to buy the one that will make you flush. Don't be afraid of the flush as long as you only increase your dose slowly you will be okay. And after a while you will only get a flush with an increase. I cannot believe it but I am starting to lose weight now as well. That's because niacin keeps your blood sugar under control. Niacin is good for so many things it's really good for your heart

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I read online about the niacin vitamin b3 and really helped me for anxiety, but how long the flush will be stay as your experience for this vitamin.

Thank you so much for your advice .

• Posted

Hi Johnhanna

You should only get a flush with any increase that you do. Once you stop increasing your dose the flushing should go within a day or two.

• Posted

hi caroline! i am taking 1500 mg of niacin daily split into 3 doses taken at meal time started this 9 days ago and I must say it is helping with the anxiety. although I dont feel like myself yet there have been a few days where I felt like a light switched on. i have been in withdrawal from mirt since nov. and sleep has been the biggest challenge along with burning/tingling skin which niacin seems to also address. May I ask how long you took Niacin before all the symptoms went away? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.