For those who had a PAE, how long did it take to sleep all night again?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everybody.

I had my PAE on August 17th, with Dr. Francisco Carnevale in Sao Paulo Brasil and I feel I couldn't have chosen better.

I do feel that I empty my bladder much easier.

In the last years I have being waking up between 3 to 6 times every single night.

In this first week, I am still waking up several times to urinate.

I would like to know how long did it take for you to sleep all night.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had my PAE with Dr. Isaacson on Aug. 9 and have not noticed any imrpovement in my symptoms yet. The PAE was technically very successful as both sides were easily embolized and I do not have a median lobe or other bladder neck obstructions. But I still pee 4 to 6 times a night and have had to resume self-cathing once a day. My stream is weak and so am I.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this Neil- I know you had a big prostate- what did Doctor say about time need for procedure to show results- I think I have read a month. Also sorry to hear you feel weak- I thought the procedure was such that recovery time was minimal. I assume he went in through the groin. How many arteries did he embolize?

Hope you get feeling better soon

• Posted

Thanks spr for your kind remarks. Dr. Isaacson went through my wrist radila artery as it checked really well with the Barbeau test where he compresses one wrist artery and the other one (unar artery?) takes up the blood flow. He embolized both main arteries feeding my prostate - they were well defined and fully packed with embospheres. I read the procedure report and it was a textbook case. I can get you the artery names if you wish. My recovery actually was immediate - I had no ill effects at all from the procedure. That is part of the problem because if tissue necrosis did occur I should have had some discomfort which is why I suspect that my prostate is still firing on all cylinders. I am tired because I still don't sleep after all the effort surriunding the PAE. My peeing is actually getting weaker and I woory I will be in full retention soon. Whe I contact the doctor he just writes back a few words to give it more time - easy for him to say! I am trying to get a 3T MRI locally to visualize the results of the PAE and then I may take it to Dr. Bagla for a second opinion before considering a robotic SP again. All the best. Neil

• Posted

Robotic SP is a Simple Prostatectomy performed by a urologist worming with the da Vinci robot. It basically makes 5 small incisions in the abdomen and then cuts along the top of the prostate and reams out the insides and closed the top up just leaving a capsule. So it doesn't affect the urethra, or internal sphincetr or nerve bundles for sex and only requires an overnight stay in the hsopital with catheter for one day. Also it has much less blood loss and faster recovery than a traditional simple prostatectomy. But the surgeon must be well qualified whihc means over 500 of these procedures under his bellt. Neil

• Posted

What was the cost of your procedure if you do mind me asking? Also how big was your prostate?

Thanks for any information.

I am glad you are happy with the procedure and hope you sleep through the night soon with no waking.

• Posted

Doctor around USD 6000, Hospital around USD 2500.
  • Posted

The 2 radiologists I spoke to said that the PAE wouldn't necessarily help reduce the nightime bathroom trips.  That said, it did for me within a few weeks (dropped from about 4 to about 2, which I consider a significant difference.  Unfortunately for me, since I had gone in to AUR and had a large median lobe, the PAE was largely unsuccessful in other respects for me.

• Posted

I don't mean to hijack your thread. I am just curious what the cost was and why you chose to have it done in Brazil? You can private message me if you prefer. I'm sure some people will advise about the sleeping all night question.

• Posted

Doctor around USD 6000, Hospital around USD 2500.

I live here.

• Posted

Brazil and Portugal are the two sources of this procedure and doctors there have done a lot more procedures than anywhere else, most others learned from them
  • Posted

that's more then everywhere else, even in US is cheaper

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.