For women out there that are menopausal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone with AS that has gone through menopause experienced their AS as having gotten a lot worse?  Mine sure has as it started creeping up my spine and wrapping around my ribs causing it to hurt as I breathe.  I also had costochondritis which felt like I had broken ribs and it hurt to breathe.  Just wondering as men and women are affected differently by the disease.  Maybe female hormones help in staving it off.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I was diagnosed fairly late and had been having hot flashes for over ten years ( since age 40) .  The A.S. had progress hugely & the very hot & intence hot, flashes have got progressivly worse over last 15 years especially at night. On average 30  in 24 hours.  According to several of the medical staff I see, the hot hot flashes 'are mentioned' by in advanced A.S..   I dont know & I dont think the medical people know much about the differences in A.S. between male /female according my questions. Some have even said so. I have bad Costochondritis. For instance it is even difficult for me to have a verbal conversation at present because of flare up and tightness in my chest & inability to get enough air.  

Tip = Lactose free milk has helped me & others reduce hot flashes.  It has reduced my day time ones but not the really hot flashes I get at night.  But every bit helps.

• Posted

Hot flashes are normal during menopause, but my question was more about if symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis have gotten worse after menopause.  I have had this for 35 years and after menopause the AS has gotten so much worse.  I have both peripheral and axial AS. 
    • Posted

Hi.  As I have said "According to several of the medical staff I see, the hot hot flashes 'are mentioned' by patients in advanced A.S..   I dont know & I dont think the medical people know much about the differences in A.S. between male /female according my questions. Some have even said that they dont know.  I know male patients get the hot flashes in advance A,S.  Since A.S. is a progressive disease all aspects are potentially due to get worse.  I suggest you contact one of the A.S. associations.  

• Posted

Hmm...interesting.  I wasn't aware that hot flashes can be a symptom of AS and that men can also get them. 

• Posted

I am sorry to hear your problems. It could mean many things.  I was only repling to an email about A.S. & menopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.