Four weeks post op with setback

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had right knee tkr four weeks ago. Recovery had been going well, decreasing pain, range of motion good, swelling down. Now, however, ANY attempts to walk, even with support, cause swelling and pain within a minute. I can still do my exercises but walking and bucycling are too painful. Is this a normal part recovery? Should I try to walk and/or bucycle through the pain? (If possible). 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No, don't push yourself into a level of high pain. 1st, you are still very young in the rehab process. Keep w irking but don't overdo do it. Stay on true p described disease of pain meds and use as directed not waiting until pain hits. Slow down . I would guess you are feeling so good you are speeding up movement instead of slow and steady. You aren't going to fool the body. You have been through an unusually dramatic e xperience and time is important. Increase your water intake substantially. Dehydration can cause all sorts of adverse reactions. A dehydrated system won't heal properly. When you walk take full slow strides with the heel hitting 1st then the toe and ending with a bend as much as possible. You'll look and feel funny but practicing correctly is much more important than number of repetitions done incorrectly. Ice not only after excercise but any time you an then elevate. Again, slow down......do everthing correctly and give it a few more weeks of healing before concern. Let your body be your guide and not the suggestions from someone that hasn't been through it. Stay with this forum for help. Unlike the Dr's and v therapists.....we've all been through it and its very personal tobus.
  • Posted

Everything already said.  At about 4 weeks I started to massage so if you can raise leg, ice and massage before and after you exercise.  Surprising how much more movement you can get after massaging - I used E45 cream.  Good luck and hang on in there.
  • Posted

I completely agree with Old Fatguy here. Better to make sure you are doing exercises correctly rather than going for number of repetitions done incorrectly.

There is a pain barrier that you will have to get through at some point but listen to your body and trust your own instinct.

It does get better, I have been there, done that and come out the other side.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sasrah xxx

• Posted

ya i agree with OFG  its very early days i supose we were all in a hurry to get back to normal ! ha!! but there is no hurrying this take your time listen to all he said because he has said it all , let the leg heal and it will.    good luck
  • Posted

We are at exactly the same length of time (although mine is a revision TKR) & eperiencing the same problems. I now know mine were caused by REALLY overdoing it on Monday. It has taken me 4 days of icing/elevating/resting/drinking loads of fluids/doing moderate excercises & keeping off the static bike, but I am now back to where I was Sunday, before I overdid it. It's not a case of the more you do, the quicker you get back to normal, it's a case of "steady but sure". We'll get there!!
  • Posted

Thank you so much for the support. The uncertainty is a huge problem for me as I imagine the worst and that I will never recover. I did think I would be walking independently by now and am realizing that my expectations were unrwalistic. I will go more slowly and trust that this is part of the healing process. Thank you all.

Also, I cry so easily now, which is unlike my pre surgery self and is freaking out my husband. Is this the meds?

Jdy

• Posted

Not the meds just more of the process. Not unusual and can be theraputic unless, of course it becomes totally all consuming. If you feel you are having uncontrollable problems talk to your Dr. There are meds that can be used on a temporary basis to get you over the hump.
    • Posted

hi judy16658 ia male 61 years old had 1st r tkr done post op 7 months and are still usung crutches due to no 2 to be done january 2016 and yes all above info go by them it is good advice regards danie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.