Fractured proximal humerus help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm Wendy 54 next month from UK. I have osteoarthritis which started in lumbar spine 5 years ago now it's in cervical to T1 both wrists both knees and after GP suspecting bursitis in both shoulders in May ive now discovered left shoulder has above fracture and severe arthritis. I'm fed up of doctors asking have I fallen etc when I haven't the pain just gradually got unbearable but unfortunately fracture clinic won't help me so have to wait in agony till 7th sept to see surgeon. Having a bone density scan tomorrow as this type of fracture happens in elderly with severe osteoporosis . Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I hope that once your bone density scan is complete someone offers you some relief to tide you over until consultation with the surgeon.  Is your primary care physician not willing or able to do anything for you?  If your suspicions are confirmed and you do have osteoporosis please check back with us on the forum as many here are facing the same problems, some with, others without, fractures.  💕

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your kind words. My GP has upped all my existing pain meds and given me oromorph. There's a lot of meds I can't take because of other conditions unfortunately

• Posted

Hello Wendy. You sound like you are in a lot of pain and I can relate to your predicament. However, I have never broken bones from osteoporosis although having severe osteoporosis.

I also have osteoarthritis especially in my hands which are very painful at times. I also have it in my back and knees, Eric.

You may not have osteoporosis and here's hoping you do not.

When you have your bone density test make sure you find out your tscores because that indicates how serious your osteoporosis is. 

I always find mine out at the same time as the scan is done. I am in Australia.

Can you get some pain killers from your GP? You should not have to suffer like this!

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your advice and kind words. I really hope this isn't osteoporosis as I have 2 daughters and I don't want them to inherit this, no offence but it does run in my family and I had a hysterectomy at 29 now 54 next month

• Posted

Get your body with good nutrition to help everything heal forward, make sure you're getting nutrients such as calcium magnesium and vitamin D the way that your body can best absorb it stay active but with cautions for not falling and not twisting until you know more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.