fractured wrist 3 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

3 maybe 4 breaks scaphoid could show on next set of xrays.  I am 62 year old female and my GP has referred me for dexscan following protocol for post menopausal women.  Osteoporosis seems definite fell onto outstretched hand I would be concerned if I had'nt been referred. Anyone else with similiar experience.

thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Myra

Why do you say that osteoporosis seems definite before seeing the result of your scan? I recently fractured my wrist (distal radius). When I went for my 1st  follow up fracture appointment with X ray, I was able to take with me the results of a scan which I had already had at the end of last year. My results were then fine. No osteoporosis. .  No change since a previous scan 10 years earlier. I haven't had another scan after the accident. I am a bit younger than you (52)  but also post menopausal (by about 18 months). I also fell onto my outstretched hand.

• Posted

Hi Kate

My GP seems fairly certain I was crouching down so my hand was inches from the floor and 3 probably 4 fractures seems a lot of damage but as you suggest i should wait for the scan.

thanks Myra

• Posted

Hi Myra

How does the GP 'know' that if he/she didn't witness the event? What is your recollection of what happened? I know that I skidded on a wet pavement in the rain and my wrist took a lot of my weight.

• Posted

Now I have seen your reply to Bronwyn so it makes more sense. I still hope that it won't be osteoporosis though.
    • Posted

Hi Kate

My GP followed protocol its just most injuries of this type occur in young males on motor bikes not elderly! fixing the catflap. I fell heavily but will wait for scan. A cominuitated fracture is the problem 3 fractures your sounds like a single fracture.

• Posted

Yes i have read at least 1 example of a motorcycle accident with similar injuries on this forum. As you fell heavily, it still might be bad luck. Yes mine was a single clean break (minimal displacement) so i was lucky. I am having the plaster off this week so have to wait and see how it will feel then.

When will you know the results of the osteoporosis scan? Fingers crossed!

• Posted

hav'nt had scan waiting for appointment.  Will post results here when available.
  • Posted

Hi Myra;  yes, I too, ask why Definite?......anyone can fracture wrist, scaphoid or other joint/s when falling and putting out hand/arm to stop themselves  ......(my daughter has broken both....her wrist when she was 9, and her scaphoid 2 years ago, and now only 36 in September).....please don't don't let yourself get anxious until you have had the dexascan.............and if positive, there are treatments that you can have, medications that are available if you choose............take care,  Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bronwyn 

thanks for you reply I was crouched at ground level so a sprain seemed more likely 3 fractures does seem excessive I posted originally as I thought anyone else with similar minor trauma injuries post menopause should'nt pass getting a scan.  My GP runs the local fracture clinic so it it was picked up (the referral for scan) at the fracture clinic. On the day I attended the initial response did not suggest osteoporosis should be considered for follow up.

thanks again

Myra

• Posted

yes, if crouched to ground, then that wouldn't be "taking a LOt of Counter Force".........when is the scan, (you prob answered this question)......we will have to wait and see.....if it is positive, then you will Definately have to take care, as any minor thing can cause fractures (mostly what is Called Stress Fractures, and particulary in the Spinal Processess......and can be a result of nothing much....even lifting).................so keep us informed....B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.