Frequent Urination

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had problems with frequent urination since I was in hospital 10 years ago for a lung biopsy.  The biopsy went well but sadly the nursing staff negletcte to bring me bottles when requsted and as I was "anchored" to a pleural drain I was unable to get to the toilet.  As a result of having to "hold my water" for so long I've had the problem ever since.

The fact that I'm now Type 2 Diabetic since 18 months ago hasn't helped either.

This month I had a blood test taken for prostate cancer which thankfully came back negative and my doctor has given me a "digital" exploration and said that for a man of my age (75) my protate is not unduly enlarged and she put me on "Contiflo XL" 400mcg prolonged release capsules.

Are there any on this forum who have any experience of the above medication or who have had similar symptoms?

I would welcome any advice

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You did not mention why you were tested for cancer and what blood test that was done. Was it PSA test ? If it was, what was the PSA reading ?

However, with your age and symptoms, it seems you are suffering from prostate enlargement (either benign or cancerous - both are very common among older males).

Frequent urination is usually a result of urinary retention (the bladder is always almost full).

Contiflo, more known as Tamsulosin, is an alpha blocker used to relax the prostate muscles and in your case should help to void more each time, therefore reducing the frequency.

If you can tolerate the side effects, you will be fine.

Hank

• Posted

Thanks Hank - I don't know the result of the PSA and I think the doctor. after a "physical examination" decided to "try out" the Contiflo to see if it made any difference.

• Posted

If I were you, I would ask the doctor for the PSA level and start saving it and all future PSA readings.

Generally speaking, low PSA level is good but not necessarily excluding the possibility of cancer.

High PSA or a big increase in PSA readings would warrant further cancer testing.

Hank

• Posted

Thanks again Hank.  

My father-in-law took ten years to die of proatate cancer back in the mid 1980s having refused chemotherapy.  I guess treatment has moved on since then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.