Frequent urination later in year

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all,

Last year around December time I was experiencing frequent urination throughout the day though usually in the mornings/early afternoon and then late evening and at night. I'd go to urinate and then, minutes later feel a tingling in the end of my penis. Then minutes later i'd feel the urge to go again. Maybe something would come out and maybe something wouldn't - often just a small amount of urine.

Anyway, this got really uncomfortable. I had tests done and everything was clear, including a test for a urinary tract infection. 

Then, come February this year, nothing. It all went away without m changing anything in my diet or routine.

Suddenly today I have it again and am worried it's going to continue.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this? My mother in law reckons it's somehow connected to the time of year or being cold, although it's still October and in Copenhagen where I live it's not that cold. Saying that, I have been outside quite a bit.

Does anyone have any experience or can anyone recommend anything? Or perhaps someone has expeience something similar?

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I should add that i'm currently taking panteprazole tablets to cope with stomach acid reflux. I wonder if this had anything to do with it?

• Posted

Have you had your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels checked as an untreated B12 Deficiency can cause bladder problems if left untreated.

The fact that you are on panteprazole means that your stomach acidity is lowered.

Vitamin B12 can only be obtained naturally from eating foods - such as red meats, fish, seafoods, eggs, poultry and dairy produce.

High stomach acid is essential to "grab hold of" the B12 in the food as it passes down through the stomach to the Ileum where it enters the bloodstream.

Lowering your stomach's acidity with the panteprazole could mean that you are not absorbing the B12 efficiently.

Folate (Vitamin B9 - or Folic acid) is found in leafy green vegetables, sprouts, brocolli, beans, asparagus etc and this is essential to process the B12.

Are you on any other medications such as antacids etc?

I  am not a medically qualified person so I can only suggest you go back to your doctor and request the blood tests for B12 and Folate.

• Posted

I was found to be B12 deficient and for the last 3 years get regular 3 monthly B12 injections.

• Posted

I don't think the B12 deficiency had anything to do with my water problems. I had early stage bladder cancer which was successfully treated and am now free. Still get B12 injections though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.