From sitting to standing...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Do you find it difficult? Every time I have to stand up from sitting on a sofa, chair, car I have to sum up all my energy and I must hold on to something...It's not particularly painful, it' s just hard, difficult to achieve...I need to concentrate and I have to take my time. I also need more space than usual. Once I am up, I can make a couple of steps, still quite unsure, like a 13 months old baby...but after this I can walk fast and for quite  along time, with no problem.I would be interested to know if it's the same for you...I am on week 10 from my hip replacement.

7 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am like you, if I sit for a while it take half dozen steps before I find myself walking properly, yesterday we went to a wizard maze with grand children, I had my stick with me as the ground was uneven, I am 13 weeks post op
    • Posted

Hi Marily,

I am using th stick to help me when I have to get up...I could walk without it, in fact at home I don't use anything!

• Posted

hi

yes I find similar to as you describe.  I am 11 weeks post op but do have to

push upwards after sitting for a while.  I assumed it would be stiffness too.

I am still trying to strengthen the operated hip by standing on the leg and

it does help but when I dont exercise I find I am slower getting up out of chair.

I think the muscles will take a while to strengthen but also interested to know what others think.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

The longer I have been sitting the more difficult it becomes to get up...I woudn't be able to say where is the stiffness, it seems to be everywhere in my body...I hope my muscles are getting stronger soon!

• Posted

Hi Briskwalk II have exactly this problem I sometimes sit for ages just summoning the energy to stand up, but once up I am fine. I am going for my six week check tomorrow so I will add this to my list of questions and report back with the answer ( hopefully ) though  I am sorry you are having this problem I have to admit it makes me feel more normal knowing it's not just me !
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

yes, I sit for a long time...meditating on the action of gettin up again...it's like climbing a mountain! Normally I would feel like this if I just had a two hour work out at the gym...It's good to talk about this!

• Posted

Dearest Ella, 

I am not a good example here as my unoperated (left) leg is really bad right now - so for me, it is freaking challenging too ..

I think it might still take more time though ... at least you you don't have pain and can walk without any problems ...

LOL on needing needing more spacerolleyes ...

you are getting there, briskwalk !!!!

Love,

renee

renee

• Posted

My dear Renee,

I am so sorry you have pain ont he other hip...Yes, I need more space! For example I try to park my car in a larger space, because I coudn't wriggle out of the car in a swinging motion...I need to open the door so wide that it's embarassing! If I sit at a coffe shop I end up moving my chair and the table to make more room for me...but because I have a walking stick  people undersand I am struggling!

• Posted

What you could always do if somebody parks next to you and squeezes you in is to simply ask a stranger to back your car out for you.

We need mre space because we are trying to get comfortable. I can relate to what you are saying, although as for myself I am past that stage. But I was there once.

• Posted

Hi Brisk,

short answer: yes.

slightly longer answer: if I sot for more than 10 minutes, getting up I'll be stiff and the first steps are wobbly at best.  If and when I sit longer, I need to stand up, re-adjust my to-do hip until it stops aching, then I can waddle and then walk. 

Once walking though, it is all pretty much okay, aside from the left hip being bummed, but that should get sorted end of the month!

the body needs its time, so I'm going with that, but once both are done, I aim to hit the gym asap and get going again!

• Posted

Hi am6ft8,

thank you for answering...I am looking forward to swimming and doing some workout as well.

• Posted

Yeah! I'm just past week six and don't need stick. Last night walked 20 mins to a lovely little Italian restaurant, no limp, no problem. Got up to leave and friends thought hilarious that I could barely walk. Took me a while to get going and then I was OK. Presume this will get easier as i get stronger.
    • Posted

Hi Karen,

To get up after a meal at a restaurant it's the worst! If I don't have my walking stick people think I am drunk... I find it quite embarassing at times...

• Posted

Hee hee, that does describe it. Wobbling everywhere after 1/3 bottle vino.
  • Posted

Yes very much so. Stiffen up and slow to start after sitting or driving. Once I get going not too bad, varies with tiredness to some extent. 
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

of coures...if I am tired I have to make such an effort just to get up...I would like to scream like Tarzan!!! It's also hardare if I have been sittin for a long time...sometimes I just get up to keep the body supple, sort of speak!

• Posted

Of  course...(not of coures)  I have never made so many spelling errors like in this forum, it seems to have a mind of his own!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.