Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a capsular release and an extensive debridement for a frozen shoulder about a month ago under GA. My ROM is much better but I am still in PT for internal and external rotation. Does anyone know how long the pain will last? I thought 4 weeks post op I would statrt to feel some relief. I am still waking up every 2 hours in pain and taking pain medication and a muscle relaxant.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice,

I have just had capsular release surgery 2 days ago for frozen shoulder and am feeling pretty sore though trying to push through the physio exercises they have given me to do at home before the real stuff starts next week.  I was hoping that I would start to feel better within a week or so as I am sick of being sick.  Surgeon said that as I start to get my movement back the pain will subside.  I think with this condition everyone heals differently - one size doesnt seem to fit all unfortunately.  Lets hope we both start to feel better soon.  Let me know how you progress and hopefully some other people further on than us in recovery can give us more advice on what helped them. 

Good luck!

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Jace, I feel your pain! I had capsular release and debridement, bone shaved etc last October. I also have calcification deposits that were up reachable for reval.For some, they are pain free very soon after the op, for others not so. I found that I had to discuss better pain relief with my GP. Once on tramadol by day and one slow releasing tramadol at night,  I began to improve. He physio unsettles it all, but as you know, it has to be done. It took me 8 weeks before feeling more like my old self. Unfortunately I have just had to have manipulation under anaesthetic last week, as my shoulder remained frozen. It needed another nudge. Nowhere near as debilitating and far less painful. Keep at it and monitor your rom as it can take some time to improve. I also pushed for hydrotherapy,me which was really beneficial.

ali.

• Posted

I am almost 6 weeks and still not back to myself I had one good day last week I have great ROM but not much internal and external ROM. I hope by 6-8 weeks I will have less pain thank you for your response
  • Posted

It will improve. Try a warm wheat bag 20 min prior to exercise, followed by ice pack after exercise. A slow release painkiller at night was my saviour. It saves you waking up in pain and taking another tablet. It aims to keep pain relief constant throughout the night. I took tramadol, but your GP can advise you. It's a pain like no other, because it's activated with every movement of your body. 

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.