Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have had a frozen shoulder since November 2016. It is now February 2017. I have been prescribed Naproxen, Vicodin, and Percocet. They take the edge off, but nothing really helps. I had a cortisone shot 3 weeks ago that helped for a week, but this week nothing helps. I am in agony, I can't find a comfortable position to sleep in, a comfortable position to work in. Nothing helps. It is a constant burning that runs down my arm. If I turn the wrong way tears come and the pain is so intense it makes me nauseas. If I can get my husband to rub it that will help temporarily and I had a massage last week that was great.

I can't live with this for years till it thaws

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain.

I can certainly relate.

I was in PT for months, had 2 rounds of injections, and finally had MUA February 3, 2017.

I started intensive PT 2 times a week 3 days post-op. Which continues and will for months I understand. I'm still frozen in the back rotation so trying to work that out without more surgery...

I have read that in order to break the frozen muscles and tendons you have to go through excruciating pain... That's why MUA is offered. I also needed dibreedment.

I pray you can get relief soon.

C

• Posted

There seems to be a lot of disagreement about the best treatment for frozen shoulder but I can assure you that having to go through excrutiating pain to cure it, is not necessary (or desirable).  The frozen shoulder was painful enough and physiotherapy did not help me.  What worked for me was hydrodilatation - I was pain-free after 2 days and my ROM started to return with gentle excercise - stopping if it hurt.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear your pain. I've had frozen shoulder since July last year. There is no break from it. My neck and arm were very painful as well as my shoulder. After a stressful flat out day at work my hand and arm would keep twitching.

Painkillers didn't help me. I couldn't afford to not work so went to a Physio every Wednesday evening to help relax some of the knotted muscles.

I was miserable.

In January I was referred for a cortisone injection. My doctors instruction was to inject into the shoulder joint. At the appointment there was some discussion whether to inject into the bursa or into the joint. Eventually they decided to inject the joint as that was more appropriate for frozen shoulder. Initially the dr doing the injection had said he'd inject into the bursa then if that didn't work I could go back and he'd inject into the joint.

It has made such a difference. Still limited arm movement but not in constant pain. Such a big relief.

I wondered if you should check where they injected the cortisone?

• Posted

They injected it into the joint, it helped initially, but yesterday the pain ramped up. I can't seem to take enuf meds to get a handle on it. I have PT excercises, they help temporarily but after 20 min or so, the pain is back x 10

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping u could go back and get it done into the joint. I know cortisone doesn't help everyone. I keep worrying mine is starting to wear off. I so hope it doesn't.

So many people say to hang in there as it does pass, but when you're in the middle of it, it's a long time to be in pain.

I can't believe how many people seem to get it tho!

• Posted

Hi. I never found a pain relief that helped. I had surery and after the surgery they gave me co-dydramol, which certainly helped. You could try getting that from your doctor, but I would keep going back to the doctor until you find a pain relief that does help. Otherwise, get yourself some heat and ice packs - they were the thing that helped me most.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Oh poor you! Think everyone on here can sympathise with how you are feeling and knows the pain is unbearable and crippling. I started a thread a few weeks ago about seeing a chiropractor who I saw twice and it helped the shooting pain down my arm but was too intense for me - I went to see my GP who put me on naproxen and I'm on the waiting list to see the PT. I'm now into my fourth visit to see the acupuncturist after GP and a friend who is a nurse recommended it and honestly during the day the treatment has helped reduce the pain so much - I can sit at my desk at work and drive with less stress, the pain is still there but I can control it. I have some movement back but still spasms if I get knocked or I reach for something. At night it's hell at times im trying V pillows, volteral, v warm showers extra painkillers - they are helping v slightly. I do hope you find something to ease it for you and keep chatting on here it's helped me knowing I'm not alone. Also there are still options MUA & injections. Acupuncture is my recommendation x

• Posted

Thank u, I will see if I can find acupuncture in my area. The pain radiates down my arm and is a dull ache mixed with awful sharp burning spasms. I feel like such a baby but last nite I was in full fledged tears from the pain.
    • Posted

You are not a baby! I try to go without pain medication and the sling. My surgeon and therapist said I'm not helping myself heal.im protecting it and not relaxing.

The exercises hurt way too much without.

Pretty much got scolded by both. 😔

Remember to ICE a lot!

• Posted

I have found both ice n heat alternating will help. My husband tells me that I just need to deal with it n stop being such a baby abt it😥😰

• Posted

He obviously hasn't had frozen shoulder. It's so many horrible kinds of pain together. Difficult to imagine.

• Posted

I think only fellow sufferers know just how painful this condition is - you're not a baby!  Your husband is lucky he has never experienced such pain and it's a shame he can't be more sympathetic.  If your physiotherapy (PT) is making it ache more - stop!  I know there is disagreement, even between "experts" but many agree that agressive physio can make it worse and last longer.

• Posted

3 years ago my husbamd had his rotator cuff operated on, so he has some idea of it. But u r very correct, he needs to be much more sympathetic to this pain, and to the entire issue. I just keep hoping I will wake up and it will be magically gone😢

• Posted

I love him dearly but he is a lot of things, sympathetic is mot one of them. Right now to compound everything I am in bed with pneumonia, and my asthma is flaring bad. I feel like a train wreck😢😴

• Posted

I keep researching ways to make the adhesions release quicker. I figure there must be a way, but no such luck, they say time. I had to have a chest X-ray for pneumonia today and the tech wanted me to put my arms on the bar up in front of me. I tried and said nope, it hurt too much and now it aches because of it😰😰👎

• Posted

@ shoulderouch373

Ugh your husband needs to understand that he has no clue how painful and frustrating a shoulder injury is! I have had both thumb joints removed in this past year and now my shoulder 😔

I am SO OVER IT!

You have my sympathies!

• Posted

I had the same experience with my mammogram  - a note was made on my records.   The thing that helped me after trying cortisone injections x2 & physio sessions x6 -'was a session with a hypnotherapist -amazed that the pain was gone!   Have now managed to swim 22 lengths of the pool now that movement has improved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.