Frozen shoulder a year on and don't know what to do.....

Posted , 12 users are following.

feeling a bit deflated today, living in the UK ..... It's cold and damp and my shoulder is starting to play up again.

i injured it a year ag, beginning of the year I developed a frozen shoulder with a range of movement down to 20% I was in agony, decided to go privately as NHS was too long await and I couldn't work. Saw a consultant and in May I had a hydrolition injection, fantastic!!! It gave me so much more movement and took away the excruciating pain still haven't had a decent sleep in a year but things did improve. Have kept NHS in the loop and saw consultant in July, he recommended I had surgery, but things carried on improving and had lots more movement still occasionally ached and still can't sleep on that side, anyway I decided to cancel op for fear of getting a frozen shoulder after surgery. ......Now to date !!! Hence I'm writing this, I've been in so much pain today, a deep almost bone aching toothache pain aaaarghh!!!! All day! Seeing consultant next week, so should it be operation or another hydrolition injection????? That's my question to you lovely people, I don't know what to do, I just don't want to go back to that hellish pain again but am I heading that way anyway?? ....... Advice answers anything I'd really appreciate xxxxx thank you xxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get the surgery!! It works!!  Don't worry about having to get it a second time.  Most people do not have to get it a second time.  Think positive!!  It will work!! I can reach way above my head now and sleep through the night! Go for it!!
    • Posted

Hi lambchop, I haven't had any surgery yet, I've had this hydrolition injection back in May and think it's run its course, I could have another or the surgery this is my dilemma I don't know what to go for...... I would love a nights sleep that would be amazing 😊😊
    • Posted

The shots only offer a temporary solution. The surgery will release the scar tissue that has formed and finally get rid of the frozen shoulder.  There is also the manipulation under anesthesia which they also do but I am a proponent of surgery myself.
  • Posted

I am now 9 weeks post op having suffered a frozen shoulder for 4 years. I was also very unsure of whether or not to have surgery but I was fed up with the constant pain. I was hoping I would be able to at least drive by now. But my sideways arm movement has become frozen so I am seeing my surgeon just before Xmas to decide whether I should have a third injection or more surgery. The worst part is that I an not working and am dependent on benefits that could stop after my assessments. I have already had an Esa and Pips before surgery with 8 years of Fibromyalgia and 4 years of frozen shoulder.So know what this entails.
    • Posted

Hi poll, firstly what is Esa and pips? Are you in the UK? Did surgery help? This hydrolition injection I had definitely helped but I think it's run its course. I guess I'm nervous about the op I've never had surgery and just don't want it to go backwards ..... It's a gamble I guess. So has this side movement worsened since the op 9 weeks ago ??? Have you had any benefits since surgery? Look forward to hearing back from you xx
    • Posted

Hi Sara ESA is a benefit given to you if you cannot work but you need to and it loads of paperwork , a sick note from  your doctor above all. Pips is a Personal Imdependence payment paid to people who have a medical condition that lasts more than three months. As I have a life long condition Fibromyalgia. I was really scared to have surgery but I am still hoping it will help. I had previously had two steroidal injections over the past 4 years. I am seeing my physio tomorrow . I live  in the UK ,a single mother and used to cook professionally before my sons came along. I also design jewellery. That is what worsened my condition. I have no idea what job to do after this problem
  • Posted

Get the surgery! I had rotator cuff repair in July, had 2 steroid shots prior to surgery. (they only work for a few months each time). Then in October I developed frozen shoulder, had manipulation under anesthesia..it was the best thing I ever did. The movement and pain get better sooooo much fastersmile
    • Posted

Hi Kim, are you in UK? I'm under the impression they don't do manipulation over here the surgery he's suggested is key hole and cutting through scar tissue I guess, I'm glad it's feeling better for you though long may it continue xx
    • Posted

Sara I hate to confuse you but you could still have scar tissue trapping your arm from moving normally that is causing you pain. If you cand find a therapeutic massage person you might avoid surgery. I had one arm operated. The second one I did with this alternative. It was uncomfortable and certainly not a normal massage but much better than the physical therapy I endured after my first shoulder surgery. Good luck. Feel your pain!
  • Posted

just to let you know I live in the UK and was manipulated under anaesthetic
    • Posted

There seem to be very mixed opinions on MUA in the UK (as there are for most frozen shoulder treatments!) - some do it but others say there are too many potential complications.  It obviously can work for some people but having read up on it, I wouldn't personally go through this.  If surgery is needed, the keyhole release seems a much less brutal approach.   I'm having hydrodilation next week and hope this will be enough to set me on the road to recovery.  Fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Had a frozen shoulder for about 2 years. Tried therapy for 5 weeks. Still only had 15 percent movement in all directions. The pain well we all know what that is like. The Doctor said it was the worse case he had ever seen in his 30 years. Wonderful just my luck. Had the surgery and the manipulation. My whole left side swelled and arm was black down to my forearm. It's been 3 months sense the surgery. Go to therapy 3 times a week and its aggressive and very painful. The bad part I still only have 20 percent moment in all but one direction. In that direction which is elbow bent moving it sideways I have none. The pain is not only there but worse. I am thinking shoulder replacement on down the road. But I will never have that done again. But that is my case and I am not say you shouldn't have it done . Just thought everyone should know it's not all the same. Good luck with your shoulders. God Bless

• Posted

Hi Sara

Everyone seems to be giving you mixed advice here before you agree to surgery or another joint injection, can I make a very simple suggestion and this has helped me tremendously with my pain, range of movement and now I can sleep peacefully once again -  My suggestion is to eat hot chilli peppers and ginger - Both chilli peppers  and fresh ginger are known for removing inflammation in joints. I have been eatting both jalapenos and red chilli peppers for 5 days now and I highly recommend this and also if you can drink smoothies with a thumb sized piece of ginger blended up this will help your body to heal. If you can cut down caffeine, and milk products for a bit this will also help the inflammation build up.  You will feel a big difference....These simple things have helped me more than the injection in my joint my oesteopath have stated that surgery will not help me but every person is different. Be wishes with your healing - Get the chilli peppers and ginger!

• Posted

HI I had my 3rd of In October, Arthroscopic capsular release, then MUA, then Arthroscopic capsular release revision. I was offered Hydrodilation but the cosultant said he did not like doing them and the results are poor. Hence I went for the 3rd op. I feel so much better. 90% movement and the pain is the best it has been and yes I do get at least 5 hours sleep. The damp will not help and I also find going down the chilled cabinets in the supermarket plays it up. I do use a wheaty bag that you pop in the microwave for a couple on minutes and then rest it on your shoulders. That really helps and they are not expensive about £15.00. The deep pain you are experienceing is awful as everyone with this condition will know. My suggestsion is the op, but only you can make the decision. I have had it 3 years Oct just gone, and Just feel like I am seeing the light. Some days the shoulder feels heavy but rather that than the pain. You wil make the right decision for yourself, but for today get some heat on it. 

Best Wishes

• Posted

It's no wonder people are confused - so many differing opinions on the various treatments from different "experts".  Glad the ops worked for you,  My consultant recommended hydrodilation and claims a 70% improvent in movement an 90% in pain relief for the treatment.  I'm having this done on Monday, so will let you know if this works for me.
    • Posted

The only "experts" are the consultants who can only guide you. At the end of the day the final decision lies with the patient. I took my consultants advice and was glad I did. No one patient is the same and that is why this forum is invaluable help for people to hear others experience. Good luck for Monday. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jay - looking forward to Monday with a mixture of apprehension and relief that something is being done. By "experts", I meant consultants, who themselves don't seem to agree on the various treatments.  There is also plenty of more dubious advice out there, that it's best to avoid.  It's clear there needs to be more research into this awful condition.

Having found this forum, I've also found it invaluable - i't good to hear the sufferer's point of view and real-life experiences and was a surprise to me, as to how many people are affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.