Frozen shoulder after labrum tear surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I am a 46 year old woman. On June first I underwent my first surgery ever. I had a torn labrum slap tear, biceps was cut and attached down my arm a little way do to it being shredded up at the top, acriom was hooked so that was shaved down and quite a few bone spurs were shaved off! My rotator cuff was not torn just p*ssed off! I also have some bulging and degenerative neck problems. The surgery seemed to go fine I was very nervous going in too surgery but felt pretty good after! At day 10 I was still feeling pretty good although my neck was really starting to get sore from sling! After that things went downhill! I started getting shooting pains down my arm that would just about toss me to the floor in pain! My neck was agonizing and I seemed to be getting worse every day not better! At three weeks I showed up for the start of my pt and she removed my sling and started her evaluation. The look on her face was alarming but I had no clue what was happening just figured normal surgery stuff! Well apparently I had gotten extreme frozen shoulder which she avoided telling me but texted my dr! I am now 8 weeks out of my surgery and 6 weeks into frosen shoulder! I do pt 3 times a week and exercises at home daily! I did a week on the heavy steroids and also take meloxicam! I saw my surgeon last week and he ordered me a passive motion machine for my home! I am not improving still feels like the freezing is just starting but I am also still recovering from surgery so it's hard to separate the 2! Has anyone else used the passive motion machine for therepy for FS? This is awful I can do stuff for about 4 hours a day then mainly the pain is too much! I'm so afraid this is just the beginning of the FS! Is there anyone else currently dealing with this and surgery recovery simoutaniously? Please tell me how this should play out!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison,

I haven't had an experience like yours however have had the searing pain and totally understand how debillitating it can be. I have had arthography (one injection a month for 3 months) and it really helped with mobility and pain! I don't know if this is an option for you however would ask your doctor just in case. Hope you get some relief soon!

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Yes it is a cortisone injection done in a hospital using flouroscopy (sp?). If you google "arthrography and frozen shoulder" you can get a good description.

• Posted

Hi Alison, I am a 41 yr old female and I have been in the same situation. I broke my humerus on March 20 and had surgery twice over the next two weeks. I had a torn rotator cuff tendon, posterior labral tear (2-4 0clock), and debridement/shaving of bone fragments plus the fixation of the lesser tuberosity bone. I had arthroscopy the first time but open incision the second time. I can tell you that what we have is postop stiffness, which is not the same as idiopathic frozen shoulder. There are differences in how ROM comes back. Some good, some bad. Studies have shown it typically resolves within six months, but if it doesn't, it may require surgical intervention. I was so limited after surgery that I couldn't move my arm out from my body enough to wear an abduction pillow sling. I had -45 degrees of external rotation.  After 16 weeks of intense therapies 5 days a week and 3-4 hours of personal stretching a day, I am now at neutral but still have a tone to go.... I can drive, but it's painful. I found the intense night pain went away at about 10 weeks, so I slept through the night. It returned a bit at 13 weeks as I started doing more strength training. I lift 2-3 lb weights now and use bands.  However, my shoulder blade is stuck out since I have no external rotation. I will see the surgeon at 6 months and decide if he is going in again to release whatever is jammed! Very frustrating, but hang in there, it does improve, but you have to work through pain if you want results faster. I stretch multiple times a day until I cringe. Then ice like crazy and use a tens machine .

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply! I hope you are right and it is not frozen shoulder! It would be much easier to do the excruciating painful exercises if I knew it was going to help! I have made progress in pt. I started at -15 external and on good day my theripist can get me to 30. Although that only happened once! There is improvement but I have to go through extreme pain to see it! I just keep reading that some believe that makes it worse so I have been reluctant this week! I think I will push myself and see! Keep me posted on your progress! Did you do cortisone shots or steroids? Have u heard of the continuous passive motion machine as an option?
    • Posted

That's great progress on ER! That pain is def the worst I've felt. I have not had shots because they hinder tendon healing and can risk a r-tear but I will ask in September if I'm not recovered.  My surgeon showed us a flyer for the passive motion machine but it was $1000 and he wasn't sure it would help so I didn't investigate it yet. I walk 5km every morning swinging my arm and jog parts of the route where I can. Deep tissue massage and intense stretching by a sports therapist has helped me the most. And the hot tub at the gym! I go back and forth between hot and cold pool about three times a week. I can't possibly do any more rehab, so my body must just have its own agenda!

• Posted

Hi, well I went to physical theropy last Friday as I do 3 times a week! I did not end up getting a continuous motion machine but my dr ordered me a dynasplint! They fit me for it in physical theropy and basically had some of the newer theropist watched as I was fitted! The head theropist kept talking how I was a classic case of frozen shoulder! They demonstrated from other patient that had stiffness but how mine was actually locked! So I guess I do have frozen shoulder. Anyway This torture device is a splint that I am suppose to strap myself into 3 times a day working up to 40 min each time! It is literally torture! Then I now have an at home theropist that will come once a month to adjust the tension! She was definatly letting me know that it would be a long slow process! I tried to get in it the first night and had a panick attack and tried to rip my hand out of the cast! I have now learned to do 30 min of stretching before I go anywhere near the thing! The longest I have been able to stay in it is 12 min! Then the pain lasts the rest of the day! Anyone out there working with a dynasplint for frozen shoulder?
    • Posted

Here I thought all the perpetraitors of the Holy Inquisition had passed away.

​Try youtube :convex concave movements of the gleno humeral joint: and show it to your therapist

• Posted

Do you I've in the states I had a similar situation after a labral repair.

• Posted

Unfortunately I'm 2 years postop and still in a ton of pain. I've had 2 capsular releases without relief. It's extreamaly frustrating I'm not sure what to do. I doubt you'll end up like this. Your really fresh out of surgery hopefully it will loosen up. I live in northern ca. 

• Posted

I had 4 anchors put in after a dislocation for my initial surgery. Did he repair your labrum with your tendonesis 
    • Posted

Yes i had a bunch of anchors for my labrum then open incision to cut the bicep and move it down the bone! I had neck issues before surgery I really feel like my neck in the sling caused the frozen shoulder! My neck at about 13 days post opp just was excruciating and was sending zingers down my arm! I was doing fine with the pendulum movements but as soon as my neck went a couple days letter it was just too painful to do the swings!
    • Posted

Try to stay positive it's really tough being in pain all the time. If you ever have questions I'd be glad to help. Where's most of your pain mine is all in the front. How did you tear your labrum

• Posted

It sounds like I have a similar situation to you.  I originally had surgery 2 years ago and since then have had a MUA and 2 capsular releases, PT, massage, and accupuncture.  Nothing has worked and still only have 0 degrees of ER and can't get my arm behind my back.  Has anything changed with your situation?  Have you found anything that has helped?  I agree with you that this is extremely frustrating and confusing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.