Frozen shoulder - anyone used a chiropractor to help with this?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I am two months into this frozen shoulder and am in absolute agony - I'd never heard of it before I'd got it so I'm in a whole new world - of pain & frustration to me and no knowledge! Treatment wise I'm dosing up on painkillers to little effect and excercises from YouTube. I have GP appointment this week but scared they won't take me seriously for any treatment anytime soon looking at what people are saying on here! I honestly can't cope with the pain and no sleep and just want the fastest route to be pain free and get movement back! I've been recommended to see a chiropractor but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of using this method to help with FS? Thank you

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ami117,

I tried a chiropractor at some point for a few sessions which helped unlock my body (it felt like more than just my shoulder was locked up), but I had to ask the chiropractor not to touch my shoulders. I just had some back and neck adjustments to help free up the rest of me. It did help. Then at a certain point it felt like too much, and so I stopped going. Frozen shoulder is a very individual journey, and it's important to listen to your body and seek therapies that feel right to you at each stage of the journey. I absolutely understand that part of the journey where there is nothing but pain and anguish and no sleep and a feeling of desperation. Keep talking with your doctor and keep trying whatever feels right to you. Pain management is really important, and then which ever therapies help you to feel looser, or more comfortable along the way. Read the many posts oin this blog - tey are full of care and comforting advice. You are not alone, but this is a long journey with few answers. You will most likely recover in time and that, for now, is what you must hang on to. It does happen. The pain reduces, movement comes back slowly... it can feel like a miracle after what you're going through now. Hang in there. The best thing I found for that late night unrelenting pain was hot showers, magnesium baths, the pendulum swing (using the body to gently move the arm when my arm couldn't swing), and good quality anti-inflammatory drugs. But many many times nothing took the pain away and distraction (TV, reading these blogs) was the only thing that I could do. Different solutions work for diffent people so keep reading and keep trying things and know that we all care and hope you recover soon.

• Posted

PS mine was definitely an idiopathic (unknown/unrecognised cause) primary (not secondary to anything noticible) frozen shoulder (diagnised by active and passive restriction of movement alongside a clear Xray). I am recovering from concurrent (at the same time) bilateral (both sides) frozen shoulders... 3 years along and they are still getting better... this is a challenging journey on many levels. But if it's definitely frozen shoulder that you have, then take heart, it does improve over time. We have to learn to take very good care of ourselves and take one step at a time. You are not alone.

• Posted

Yes and it didn't work for me. Insist on an xray to assess underlying problem. I had agonising physio etc, to eventually discover that it was calcification impinging the joint. Excercise would never had eased it, merely added to the damage and pain. See my post from much earlier.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hello the first stage, the horrible pain stage, is the worse. I elected to do nothing. No PT and no procedures. At 12 months I was 95% thawed and no pain. I went they the typical stages, painful, freezing, frozen, and thawing. The pain eased up after the painful stagecand continued to ease they the other stages. By time I was in the frozen and then thawing stage, the pain was mostly dull and achy. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi ami

I was planning to.reply with a long helpful message but after reading hilary's I couldn't of put it any better myself... I too went to a chiropractor who gave really deep painful massage and carried out a few realignments. I also used a TENS machine and heat pad; took magnesium tablets and curcumin for its anti inflammatory benefits; and I visited a guy who pressure points therapy which I believed helped a great deal. But as hilary said we are all individual and need to take our own path for what works for us. I am now a couple of months into my second FS so I am feeling your pain. The only thing is this time I know there is an end to this. I know that I have to go through the stages as nothing will speed up or stop the pattern so I have a more positive attitude this time around.

Take care and good luck x

• Posted

I used a chiropractor for first FS 7 yrs ago. He basically did a MUA over a long period of time...he manipulated and it hurt. Second time round I'd had enough after 3 months...MUA...but done privately...

• Posted

Thanks for all replies I'm just sitting in my crying in pain after driving my daughter to school the knowledge of this pain and it getting worse for months is just an unbearable thought I can't cope now! I just want to be myself again for my families sake - as you can tell I'm quite a wuss with any pain!

• Posted

Ami, you're not a wuss. Anyone who lives through this is a hero. We are strong people to survive this. It's intense, long-lasting and very very difficult to live with. It can become quite psychologically challenging because for so many of us - by the time we are diagnosed we have been living with pain and difficulty for quite some time and going to the doctor is a plea for help... then we find out that for some time - maybe months - things will get worse before they get better. Find me a person who has been through a journey like this who has not shed meny tears - of frustration and dispair as well as pain. The impact that frozen shoulder can have on our capacity, quality of life, mental health, productivity at work and at home, our independence and relationships,... our general, mental, social, work and financial health is underrecognised. And, as anyone in this forum will confirm, it's hard, if not impossible for anyone who has not experienced this to really understand or appreciate what we live with. And perhaps it's lucky for them. No matter how low you feel, just remember that you need to be the executive of your own management and give yourself as much comfort and understanding and as many tools and therapies as you possibly can. Make as many adjustments as you can, ask for support and get help with the kids and home duties, and take the best care of yourself as you can. People in this forum will probably be one of the best supports you can find as there will always be someone who will reply and offer some hope here. Go gently and take care. smile xx

• Posted

Yes, driving and trying to put seatbelt on, let alone look over shoulder was painful.
  • Posted

Update

Saw dr earlier as felt so much pain and was feeling v low - given more tablets naproxen and wait list for physio but can't been seen until end of march! Dr recommended not to see chiropractor but siestas acupuncture?

• Posted

Hi Ami117. I'm in Canada, and like in the USA, naproxen is available over-the-counter here and didn't come close to addressing my pain (though it does work to decrease inflammation.) You may have to ask your doctor for something specific for the awful pain. Mine recommended long-acting codeine (at the lowest dose, with regular codeine for breakthru pain.) It made a world of difference for the 3-4 months of worst pain. I agree with others to keep reading back on here, even the old threads - there are lots of tips & we all get it, no matter which treatment plan we've chosen. Hugs, Liane

• Posted

Hiya thanks fir your reply - I suffer terribly with my er um bowels with codeine lol (goodness sorry!) so I'm not really up for that pain as well I'm just fed up!!!!

• Posted

LOL! There's something for that too. With x grams of codeine, you take x grams of laxative. All short term really. 

• Posted

I tried to have manipulation of my frozen shoulder by a chiropractor right at the start of the symptoms.  However, the pain I was experiencing went into a whole new stratosphere afterwards.  I am a strong believer in alternative treatments, however on this occasion what a nightmare.  I couldn't even drive myself home, and had to call my husband to come and get me.  I was an alternative therapist before I had to give up due to the onset of my third frozen shoulder.  I loved being able to help others with frozen shoulders, by reducing the pain they were experiencing and leading to an improvement in their range of movement.  

Have a look at the chiropractors testimonials, if they have had patients who have achieved improvements in their symptoms it will be on their websites.  This is one way of evaluating if a treatment may improve your symptoms.

I hope you find my comments useful.

• Posted

Yes thank you! I'm dreading it stopping me driving as that's my escape route, life wouldn't work with without it me being a single mum I'm v reliant on my car and this frozen shoulder is making me feel isolated from the world already without taking that away from me too x

• Posted

Even when my left side was totally frozen, I was able to drive. On the left side, I held the wheel in the 7 or 8 position. My driving wasn't affected. Some of my earliest thawing signs was noticing I was holding the wheel in the high postition. Good Luck

• Posted

Hi ami, your question about using a chiropractor to help with a frozen shoulder, got me thinking and even contemplating trying again after all not all chiropractors are the same.  My husband had a few friends at work who were raving about an osteopath they had used for various complaints including frozen shoulders.  I still have no date for my Manipulation, in fact I;m not even listed yet since October.  I have reached the point where I am ready to consider anything, so I took the plunge and booked an appointment yesterday for a treatment today at the osteopath.  Before I could back out, my daughter said she would drive me and go in with me to give me support and make sure he didn't hurt me.  I'm glad I went, the osteopath was lovely very professional and very gentle, he used an infrared laser to reduce the inflammation in the tendons and put on menthol infused strapping to help support the joint.  I'm willing to continue with the treatment if I can get some movement back in my shoulder.  So, I'm glad you posted the question because it made me re-think what else I could try to get movement back in my shoulder. xx

• Posted

Hi ami117, I was feeling some pain relief, and then did something stupid and went to the gym to use the bike and cross trainer and undid all the good work, and put my backk out.  So went back again this week, and he sorted my back out using cranio-sacral technique, instant relief.  He gave me a row about going to the gym and said I had damaged my shoulder more than before, but again he worked some magic and I am back to where I started when I first went to see him.  Note to self don't run before you can walk etc.  Still waiting for MUA, but will continue seeing the Osteopath as it is definitely helping, even if I am a looney trying the gym, what was I thinking! Still not sleeping though.  Don't let my foolishness put you off going though, as if I hadn't gone to the gym who knows where I might have been today xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.