Frozen Shoulder - MUA - outcomes / recovery / pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have bilateral frozen shoulder - idopathic.  Several professionals have stated my left is "severly affected".  Right is manageable and seems to be on recovery but full ROM is not there yet.  Ortho is considering MUA with a scope to clip any scar tissue on the left.  I'm wondering what is the true pain level of this surgery?  How soon after were you to "functioning"?  I have 3 kids (9, 6 and 3). 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had MUA and had scar tissue removed. I had lot of pain and sore around where they did the procedure. I wish you luck
  • Posted

I had this done in January and am still in a lot of pain.  I  am finishing up with my physical therapy which I have been doing 3 times  a week.  I think it just takes awhile to heal.
    • Posted

Yes Tiffany! It does take a while to heal and get back to motion on its own
    • Posted

I really don't know yet. I am still in process getting back to normal. I will see my ortho in April 4. I will ask how long will return normal. I wish I have the answer for you. Sorry!
  • Posted

Tiffany or Debbie - Did either of you have an injury that preceeded the frozen shoulder? 

Please keep me posted on your progress as the MUA is something that I am just considering - have the surg booked but can delay if I decide to.  Thanks!!

• Posted

Laura-I fell down on hard floor and injured badly. I had rotator cuff tear surgery back in October. Then in December my PT noticed I do have frozen shoulder. I went to see my ortho Doctor to confirm it. Yes it is. Then I had MUA and have scar tissue removed by arthroscopy three weeks ago. I am still in pain but passive ROM has improved than before. Hope active ROM will get there as of my shoulder is weak.
  • Posted

This is an interesting post and one I shall follow. I have an ortho appt 11th April as my FS has decided to play up again. The pain has increased, although not as bad as it once was. I have had so many different opinio s I am confused about the diagnosis ...so have decided to seek an expert's opinion in Sydney. My Dr wrote me the referral yesterday and he thinks I may end up with an arthroscopy and a 'clean up.' Reading your posts I am nervous about what he will do and whether or not this will set me back even further. I have had this since last June and it has gradually frozen leaving me with limited movement out to the side (very limited) and although I can wash my hair with my frozen arm, my entire shoulder lifts (the shrug). So, with this in mind, and not being prepared to put up with it for another 2 or 3 years (possibly) I am seeking some advice from the surgeon...?
  • Posted

Hi Laura,  I had capsular release on my left shoulder in May last year, pain wasn;t too bad to be honest, if its what i had done then the first couple of days were the hardest, the first because you are in a sling and your arm is totally numb, the second becasue you are abit scared to move it but to be honest the pain was less then the normal pain, i have three every small scars which healed quickly, the MUA was done three months later as my left was still frozen, MUA was great and i moved my shoulder into positions i couldn't straight away, it did go bad again for a couple of weeks where i had to work hard at physio but now i am pretty much back to normal, going through the whole lot again now with my right shoulder, so just waiting to see what the surgeon wants to do.... don't woryy about surgery, for me it was the best thing i did, i have three kids and managed and drove after about a week .... good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you thank you thank you for a POSITIVE response.  Everything I had heard was scary - but mostly because people had prior injury contributing to the overall shoulder issue.  Was your frozen shoulder due to injury?
    • Posted

Hi Laura, no mine wasn't due to any injury, just woke up with it!!!  Everyone is different and every surgery is different but my surgeon has been amazing and i thought i was better off trying the operation then living with the pain,its really hard when you have kids but i think you reach a point when enough is enough as it was effecting my kids anyway.  I really cannot comment on your op as it is different but good luck and i hope you get sorted, i can't wait to get back under the knife!!!!  only got two shoulders and its been in both so unless it comes back which i hope it won't......good bye FS in about 12 months hopefully!!!
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I'm so pleased I've found this site,

I had decompression surgery on my shoulder two months ago which left me with very bad inflammation which lead to a frozen shoulder! I'm having MUA in two weeks time, I've been suffering so much I can't wait to get it done! Am I crazy??

• Posted

Hi Laura, it's been a few months now did you have surgery

I'm 5 days post surgery and seriously I only had pain at 1am in the morning 16 hrs after surgery and then nothing the pain was not as bad as mine had been with FS. My surgeon said to have physio the next day but I couldn't get in for a week so the day I got home I researched FS post op exercise and started exercises straight away. I thought I'd have pain and stiffness for a while but basically nothing compared to what I'd been through before surgery i feel great and I'm looking forward to getting back to work so do as much exercise and stretching that you can because I'm seeing results

• Posted

I had MUA 4 days ago and I can't believe how great I feel, I doing my exercises every 3 hours I have minimal pain and great movement seems to have been a success 😀

• Posted

Hi!!  I've been doing therapy with a chiropractor all summer.  He uses ART.  Very happy with him as a practitioner.  BUT - we are at the point that both of feel that progress has haulted.  So now I'm scheduled for MUA with arthroscopy on September 13th.  Both shoulders are affected.  Will try to get both surgeries in this year if possible....  need 6 to 8 weeks between (minimum).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.