frozen shoulder not sleeping

Posted , 40 users are following.

Hi all of you out there, Now I really understand constant pain and I really sympathise with you all. When I was first diagnosed it meant nothing to me I was going on holiday to a hot country and thought it would right itself. I cannot afford to stay off work, but am drugged up to the eye-balls but that does not cover the pain, I am not able to do anything I planned and have very sleep interupted nights. I am waiting to see a Surgeon , the Physio said that there was nothing they could do - I lost over 50% movement from the start, so the pain, the longevity of this condition combined makes it all very gloomy. So all the best to you fed-up people out there, I just hope that you can have a comfortable night and get some sleep.

4 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I know what it's like. Had it 3 times in last 15 years. The first 2 months are usually the worst...I had to sleep in an armchair for weeks, propped with pillows...couldn't lie down or my arm got progressively more painful. It usually eases down in third month and lasts 10 to 12 months. If I were you, I'd think hard before any surgery, because it is usually the result of a trapped nerve , in the neck area, and I don't think they can rectify that. Try not to raise your arm above shoulder height and be careful with turning your neck to look behind or useing your arm behind you and it might just ease off quicker. Good Luck.

• Posted

[Hi everyone... In a way its nice to know there are fellow sufferers out there as you can understand the pain of what I am suffering... I first started with aces and pains in january and was referred to a physio from my doc... There she was great but the pain i was suffering was un bearable... I hated bedtime as i knew i was in for a very long uncomfortable night... Now I have been told i only have 20% movement and finally I am having the adhesive capsulitis injection... I have been told what to expect but if i can get some movement and less pain then im all for it.... xxx

Push for what ever treatment you can get, i have also invested in a Vulkan shoulder strap... so far i have had a better night sleep... This high quality neoprene shoulder strap helps reduce shoulder pain, reduce swelling and accelerate healing.

• Posted

Hi there I'm another frozen shoulder sufferer joining the club, wondered what it was until I read an article in the Daily Mail yesterday. The pain I experience runs all the way down my right leg as well, is this usual, all the other pain I read about is the same. I haven't been to the doctor, am just suffering in semi silence, the odd conplaint here and there. Any tips gratefully received
  • Posted

Hi Annie,

Ive been suffering for a few months, taking anti-inflamatories and paracetamol, but no relief. My GP refused to refer me for physio and the movement of my arm deteriorated. Finally, plucked up courage to visit my local hospital who were wonderful! They made a referral to their busy physio dept, and I waited 4-5 weeks for a consultation. It was recommended that I have cortizone to relieve the pain. Wow, within 4-5 days the pain subsided. Can't believe the relief, no more walking the floor or exercising in the middle of the night to bring relief, and have reduced the quantity of tablets. Definitely recommend the cortizone, from someone who was very reluctant. Ive now started physio, which is extremely painful, and there has been a suggestion that I may need surgery - but lets see how much movement can be achieved before the decision. Good luck to everyone - this is very debilating condition.

• Posted

Hi. I have been suffering from frozen shoulder for 6 months now and am totally fed up with it, especially as 2 weeks ago I had the steroid injection and it hasn't worked..so don't necessarily pin your hopes on it!My physio has tried acupuncture but hat had no effect either. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep going woth the pain and lack of sleep.
    • Posted

Hi fellow FS sufferers, feeling your pain tonight everyone. I was taking comfort in the fact that I thought you only get in both shoulders once only to read on here someone had had it three times. One can only hope they were deformed and had three shoulders. This disease is such a curse. Im moving into my 6th month of pain in my left shoulder and had it in my right shoulder about 6 years ago Cannot believe how painful it is. And it is such a lame term. It would make things a little easier if when you tell someone you are suffering from a FS they completely understand your torment but you can tell they just dont get it and how can they? Frozen Shoulder! More like 'Red Hot Poker'. Anyway, the tremadol is starting to kick in now. Hopefully I'll sleep now.

• Posted

HI,

I've had frozen shoulder three times over the years. I know how painfull it can be, so I sympathise. The best way I found to deal with it, without any injections, was to find a sleeping position, whether that be in an armchair or on a sofa, with pillows, that allows some comfort for sleeping. Once you find a position that doesn't hurt, you might find that gradually it starts to ease off. Takes time, though. Maybe the healing doesn't begin until there is pain free sleep, even if it's uncomfortable. I found it bearable after the first 2 months , although the pain lingers for up to 10 months. I don't believe that the injections work for everyone...so sometimes we must take extra steps to manage it. It will disappear eventually. Try not to raise your arm above shoulder height or reach behind yourself, like you might do as a car driver, and it might help. A little experimenting with where you sleep, although unsettling at first, might help also. A couple of nurofen with some food 1 hour before sleeping might help with the worst of it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey all,

I can so sympathize with the pain your feeling. This is absolutely ridiculous! I started feeling some discomfort in June 2013, thought it might be arthritis, so I bought some aspirin and aspercreme thinking I would be fine ....nope eek July I went to see a doctor where I was misdiagnosed took some pills they offered which did not work and August when the pain became unbearable and movement became much less I went to see an orthopedic who informed me that I have adhesive capsulitis aka frozen shoulder. My first reaction was ok how do I get some relief and then that is when the bomb was dropped there is none WHATTTT!!! I was informed that this excruciating pain could last up to 3 yrs I thought that's impossible for someone to endure such pain for so long with no relief. The first sign of discomfort is the freezing stage, the point where you can not take the pain at all is the frozen stage and when you begin to feel some relief is the thawing stage. All stages hurt. I came here looking for some method of relief to find out it can return and also go to the other arm I'm praying this does not happen to me. I'm not able to work and this is very troubling for me. What does seem to bring a little comfort is heat I use a heating pad at night and a heat pack that I place in the microwave during the day it does little help but I take what I can get. Pain mostly hurrrts in shoulder, shoulder blade, middle arm, elbow, wrist and collar bone.

signed ,

so in pain cry

• Posted

Hi so relieved to find this forum - was beginning to think I was being a real wimp about the pain.

Though I have had pain in the shoulder for 19 months its just been the last 4 months that it has become

unbearable - I also have some nerves trapped in the neck. My doctor gave me a cortisone injection and I

Am having physio which really hurts and not sure whether this is doing me any good. Just read about kinesio tape and thought I would give that a try has anybody had a go with this?

• Posted

My PT put the tape on me Yesterday. I am not sure how it works.  Not sure yet if it really does anything.  Today was day two of PT and I've been in a lot MORE pain, but that is probably from the PT.  I am guessing time will tell. He said it can stay on for up to 5 days even with baths, showers, whatever.  It feels like it pulls slightly on the skin, maybe keeping the shoulder, neck, and shoulder blade muscles from scrunching up.  
  • Posted

Hi, I've just found this forum too. I've been in immense pain the past two weeks, it came out of nowhere and

hit me, wham! I cannot dress or undress without assistance, the searing pain nearly knocks me out and if someone brushes by my arm, I could cry with the pain. I feel so miserable, reading about how I could be like

this for 2 years or more. My GP has prescribed Naproxen. I am already taking Codeine, Paracetamol,

Gabapentin and Amitriptyline for my bad back and it worries me to feel so much pain despite all my meds. I have begged my GP for Cortisone injections and he has added me to his waiting list. I'd give myself one if I could get my hands on it. I am desperate and struggling to keep going at work. I don't want to take sick leave - I can't afford to be off sick for months but I doubt I will last another week without some relief. I've read it can be helped by HRT in menopausal women. Has anyone had relief with that? Also, what about Hydrodilatation?

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you have to go on a waiting list for the cortisone injection I had to wait a while because

of some liver tests but as soon as I received those my Doctor gave me the injection - I was at the begging

Stage by then. I cannot take anything stronger than paracetamol. I have bought a tens machine from boots which was about £35 and this helps. I also use an ice pack several times a day plus my husband massages

The shoulder morning and night. I have never heard of hydro dilation so will be interested to read any comments on this. I just don't know whether to keep going with the physiotherapist.

• Posted

Just wondering how all of you who have posted comments are doing. I am trying the exercises the physio recommended but can only do a few -so painful. Tried the swimming pool the other day I have always been a keen swimmer but just can't believe how my left arm just keeps floating downwards!
  • Posted

So glad to have found this discussion thread. I recently was diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis in my dominant shoulder (after putting up with increasing pain and diminishing range of movement) for about four months, although it could even be longer. I was promptly sent off to get hydro dilation which I was so optimistic about because the doctor said so many people feel a 'popping' sensation and then almost right away, relief. Sadly, that wasn't my experience, it hurt a lot and while I did feel like I gained a little in the way of motion, the pain hasn't diminished. Sometimes I wonder if I really have AC because my symptoms aren't listed anywhere ... tense 'pinched' feeling in that muscle that runs from your neck to your shoulder; occasional tingling in my forearm and/or arm; agonizing pain if I accidently jerk my arm. The other day somebody high fived me and I nearly blacked out. Often this searing pain isn't in my shoulder but in my front upper arm. Are these familiar symptoms to everyone?
    • Posted

Hi Sharon! I read your post (I know it's been awhile) and wanted to know how you are. I have your exact symptoms so was wondering if you ever confirmed that it was FS and how it turned out for you! I hope I hear that you are 100%!

Thank you -

😊 Kate Austin

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I had surgery for caloric tendinitis 5 weeks ago and was doing great then at the end of week 3 of recovery developed pain like I have never felt before and way worse than post surgery. I have been diagnosed with frozen shoulder and my pain is exactly like yours a deep throbbing/aching pain constantly and if I move my arm just slightly funny the worse searing pain ever which makes me feel sick and brings on sweats. The pain is mainly in my front arm (bicep), elbow and down to my fingers and my arm feels like lead all of the time.

I can't sleep the most I am getting is about 1 to 2 hours at night and that is with taking oramorph when I go to bed. I cannot begin to explain to people how much this hurts and hinders just the simple day to day things in your life and working is nearly impossible also

Hope you get some relief soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.