frozen shoulder physio query

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder in February. My doctor prescribed painkillers and monitored my condition. I went back to work in late May on light duties and reduced hours. These have gradually built up and I'm back fulll time with some light duty work.

Work have twice sent me to an occupational heath doctor who had recommended that physio might help.

My own doctor had already given me excerises to do and has been very pleased with my recovery. He said physio isnt really needed now. (I have at least 95%.normal movement in the shoulder now with no pain.)

Work are insisting I have physio and have told me to go back to my doctor to get referred, even though I have explained it might take 12 weeks for an appointment and that my doctor doesn't think its needed.

My query is, if I do go for NHS physio, roughly how many visits would I need, baring in mind I am in no pain and have almost full movement, and if I need more than one, how far apart would any future appointments be?

Many thanks,]

P.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If work are insisting on it, would they consider paying for physio?  They seem to charge around £45 a session.  If you have 95% movement and no pain, there doesn't seem much point.  You sound like you have been doing the right things yourself and the rest will come in time.  I was fortunate enough to be able to go through Bupa - otherwise I'd still be waiting for and NHS physio appointment.  My doctor said 12 weeks wait for an NHS one.

My physio was happy for me to come to see him every 2-3 weeks and do excercises at home in between but I'm sure it varies with individual circumstances and that physio's approach.  Not sure with the NHS though.  Good luck with it!

• Posted

If your GP is refusing to send you then get your company to write a letter saying they insisit you need to see a physio and why they believe it is necesssary. The occy health doctor can do this also. If you do go only the physio will know how many visits you will need. I am currently under a physio and my appt are every two weeks, and have had 8 appointments.

Good Luck. 

• Posted

Well, Paul

i think you are very lucky to have eased your poorly shoulder in a few months. They generally take between 18 months to 3 years!!!!! I am glad for you though. My right shoulder is partially frozen and I have recently had a cortisone injection. It has eased it a little and I can at least get some sleep. My next jab is due on 23 December. As for physio, I was being treated by an nhs physio but once he confirmed it was a frozen shoulder he referred me back to GP for injections. When these are completed he said he would then help me to get my arm strength back SLOWLY. both my GP and physio have said to use my arm but only gently and never to force it. I live in a rural area so getting a physio appointment is not too bad. I only had to wait a couple of weeks. We have 6 sessions with our nhs physio so I guess it is the same across the board. 

• Posted

Hi,

I started with Physio in January this year when my shoulder was in a very bad way. During that phase I was having Physio about once a month. However, the last 2 visits were 3 months apart and the next one will be 3 months after the last. My Physio is really pleased with my progress and he's said I probably won't need to go back after the next visit in January. I do notice a marked improvement within a day of two of Physio. I no longer have any pain during the Physio and I have so much more movement afterwards. I also still do the exercises several times a day and take great care not to aggravate it. I never, ever, want to go through that again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.