Frustrated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dont know if anyone else deals with this too...my back has been killing me since ive had my knee replacement Aug.24,16...not only does it hurt but it just makes it even harder to try and get comfortable.I cant sit still very long or lay down very much.soooo figity.uggg any suggestions for me.Trying so hard to just feel a bit normal but its not happening.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Check my Sciatica section....

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Is this what you're feeling?  Locked SI joints in your hips could cause pain in the lower back, hips and down the leg.

• Posted

Thank you for info. Definately believe I have over compensated and so now my back has been shifted.my therapist showed ways to exercise to get me somewhat straightened out but its difficult to stay that way.ice therapy also helps for temporary relief.
    • Posted

My back problems started around 4 weeks post op.  Ortho recommended a chiropractor but I had to be careful...artificial right hip and four fused vertebrae.  Yup...lots of metal...about 4 1/2 pounds right now.

Found a good one.  My SI joints were completely locked.  We change our gait automatically to compensate for the pain.  It can "throw out your back"...or hips.  Combination of chiro plus some extra PT got me past it.  Takes a little time.  If the problem is truly SI or alignment related, you need a pro to fix it.

• Posted

Right hip...four fused vertebrae (rails, screws and spacers)...TKR.  Putting off the second TKR for at least a year...that's another almost two pounds.  After 44 years of playing hockey, there's a time to pay the piper...

• Posted

I have the same issue.  I bought some Orthoheel shoes and that has helped some.
    • Posted

Haven't had a TKR yet, but severe lumbar problem is definitely helped by wearing Orthoheel shoes. I didn't spend my life in heels so it was an easy transition for me to accept a kind of negative heel. Almost forces one to walk straight and easy.

• Posted

You probably walked any way you could to avoid pain. Then came the surgery and suddenly you are putting your body back in alignment plus still trying to avoid pain. Lots of stuff in a bind, twisted and weak. Slooooooow down. Don't try to do so much so fast. Add a lot of fluid to your daily intake. Dehydration really slows down your recovery. Ice your lower back as well as your knee. Talk to your doc and therapist about adding some simple back stretches to your regular therapy.

• Posted

You are sooo right.yes I really need to hydrate more...thank you.you just confirmed to me what I've been doing and not doing.

• Posted

Is it cause one leg is now longer than the other. Heard of that to.
    • Posted

Yup...but that, at least in my case, was because my hips were out of alignment.  Fixable if that's the cause.

• Posted

Actually thought that as well but I believe it is that ive over compensated to avoid pain and now im crooked.lol.
  • Posted

I had this problem, too! I'm 15 weeks post op and the problem is now gone. The physical therapist told me that when one gets s TKR, the entire leg gets weak, including the hip, which affects the back. Also, I had been walking unevenly due to my painful knee. The therapist gave me exercises to do for my back which didn't do much at first but now, combined with improved walking due to my knee healing, have contributed to a pain free back. I thought I never was going to get here. I plan to continue these exercises for the rest of my life.

• Posted

Gotta remember that traditional total knee replacement entails cutting into the quadriceps tendon, which connects the large quadriceps muscle group on the front of the thigh to the kneecap. The surgeon then moves the kneecap out of the way to access the arthritic joint.  This really affects the quad muscle and it's why we all feel that the leg is weak.

Then after sitting around for weeks on end in pain, everything else (glutes, core, hamstrings) just start to atrophy leading to more weakness.  That's why it's so important to follow up PT with work at the gym to rebuild all that muscle.  Takes time and work.  The intervening weakness (from op to around the 6 month mark) is completely normal and goes away when you rebuild your quad, glutes and core.  Gotta do the work to get the results.  In the meantime, just know to expect the weakness and resolve to do something about it.

• Posted

I lost muscle mass in quads just having my knee scoped. Had it done twice in a year. Was out of work 6 weeks first time. Then he had to go back in cause he missed something. Was out another 9 weeks. All he did was take cartiladge out and grind my underside of knee cap down a little. I could walk 3 weeks later. Give or take. Not real good but without crutches. That was a walk in the park compared to what y'all had. And it took me a long time after getting back to work to rebuild quads alone. He got me a membership to the Y to swim after I did PT. Did that for a year , 3 times a week. Went at 5 am. Did laps in the pool. Was nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.