Frustrating situation!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just come back from my first Rheumatology appointment and feel like a deflated balloon, took videos, pics and diary of what I'm going through and maybe I just had too much expectation of my appointment. My blood tests all came back negative with my GP so I know it's harder to get a diagnosis, sending me on ultrasound, nerve testing and new bloods which I suppose I should be grateful for, they said the burning I have in my arms is not typical RA but I'm not sure I agree and thinks it could be trigger finger which I am sceptical of too. Now not going back for 4 months when all the tests results should be back. Am I being impatient? This thing has spread across my hands, up past elbows and now in knees in a space of 3 months I should be happy that although not ruling RA out they are exploring other avenues first, but part of me just feels they are wasting time and wandering where I'm gonna be in 4 months if the last 3 are anything to go by?!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you Laura, I have the same thing of burning and stinging and trigger finger and I thought it was from the RA. I am progressing rapidly and am frightened so if anyone could shed light on this, we both would appreciate it. 
    • Posted

Hi, I don't believe I do have trigger finger, she suggested it, my problem isn't tendons it's joints, she also said it could be OA but my symptoms have come on quick and are symmetrical, I must sound so ungrateful that she is being thorough, no one in their right mind want to be labelled with RA but I feel like the clock is ticking to get me on proper i

• Posted

Hi Laura,have you had the CCP blood test? Or just RF test? How are your CRP or ESRs....4 months for results is crazy I got all mine in one week....I would get on to them about this!have you got any swelling? Have you considered Peripheral neuropathy, a result of damage to your peripheral nerves, often causes weakness, numbness and pain, usually in your hands and feet. It can also affect other areas of your body.  Hope you feel better soon  
    • Posted

Hi, yes all negative but been repeated today, since they were taken back in March it's gone from 3 knuckles (6 joints) in both sides to all the other areas mentioned and a lump on my thumb which I think is a nodule, pea sized wobbly gristly thing?!

• Posted

Hi laura09552.  My bloods have all been negative each time I've tested.  I started having symptoms early 2015 and finally went to my GP in Feb 2016.  First labs then.  I have all the symptoms but no positive labs.  If you look on other discussions, you can tell this happens often.  

I've been seeing a rheumy since May and he is treating me for RA.  Haven't gotten the right combo yet, as I'm still having flares.  I've been on prednisone at various doseages since February, along with naproxen, so hoping something works soon.

Can you reach out to your GP for something to help in the meantime?  Prednisone or other?

Also, I started using Capsaicin (over the counter) when hurting.  It really helps!  I would suggest the rub on versus the cream, both really burn if you get it near your eyes, nose, or lips.  Even several hours later and hand washing!

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hey, yes, I think I will give it a week or so and then contact the GP, I'm on Naproxen which takes the edge off, today has been bad though, hand swelling knees and elbows stiff and sore and ridiculously tired...it all seems classic RA to me but will have to play the game...

• Posted

Laura the important thing is that your in the system now please be patient the hardest bit for me and I asume for most of us is getting into it you will eventually get there ,take steve.b
    • Posted

Hey, yes I know, some people on here are waiting 15 months to see someone so I should be grateful, just scared at how bad I might be after another 4 months if it is RA and no meds, being self employed I worry what might be round the corner!

I've just got sit tight and wait.

Take Care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.