fsh levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all i dont understand how fsh levels work.  i had a hysterectomy 16 years ago so i dont have periods to tell me how far into menopause i am would the fsh levels tell me that?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi lol

Did you have a total hyster or partial, if you had both ovaries removed you will not require a FSH test.

FSH is follicle stimulating hormone.

When was your last period if you still have ovaries lol

Jay x

• Posted

thank you for your information. he said my fsh was only 13 and up until three months ago i hadnt had any symptoms part from joint pain which i put down to old age lol x
    • Posted

Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)

FSH is produced in the ovaries and stimulates egg maturation.

Levels of FSH on days two to three should be less than 9 milli-international units per milliliter (mIU/ml), according to the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago (AFCC).

A higher level of FSH indicates peri-menopause, and a level higher than 40 mIU/ml means that a woman is menopausal.

FSH levels indicate a woman's potential ability to become pregnant. AFCC states that FSH levels of 11 to 15 mIU/ml indicate decreased egg reserve and a reduced chance of pregnancy, while levels of 20 mIU/ml relate to a very low chance of pregnancy and live birth.

• Posted

Sounds like you may be in early peri.

If fsh is 13

Keep a diary of symptoms and you kniw whats what and can monitor the journey

Jayx

• Posted

still got my ovaries as didnt want to put me thru menopause so early had two blood tests at beginning of year for menopause but dont understand the levels x
  • Posted

Hi lol

About FSH

In women, a natural hormone that is produced by the brain, called follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), normally encourages or "stimulates" the ovaries to mature to produce eggs.

After menopause, as the ovary shrinks and estrogen levels fall, the blood level of FSH rises gradually in response to the falling estrogen levels.

The FSH level reaches a peak level at approximately 1-3 years. As a result, menopausal women have a very elevated FSH level (about 30IU/L) that can be measured by testing the blood.

• Posted

ah thank you so much.   just i asked my doc as i dont have periods was there any way of knowing how far i was through menopause and he just said no x never said if needed bloods repeated again just to come back if symptoms got worse x
    • Posted

Oh he sounds a charmer ' not'

Pity you cant see a Gyno instead ..

Jay x

• Posted

Lol

When Your Ovaries Are Intact, Menopause is Put On Hold

For women who undergo partial hysterectomies excluding the removal of one or both ovaries, early onset of menopause is unlikely to occur, since they continue to produce estrogen. Even though they won't menstruate any more, they will typically enter menopause in the same age range as women who have not had a hysterectomy, although some studies show that those who have undergone partial hysterectomies face menopause about two years earlier than the average for women at large. Of course, not every woman who experiences severe menopause symptoms and some who have a partial hysterectomy might not notice any fluctuations in mood or temperature at all.

• Posted

Heres an FSH chart that may help

Menstruating women

Follicular phase:

1.37–9.9 international units per liter (IU/L)

Midcycle peak:

6.17–17.2 IU/L

Luteal phase:

1.09–9.2 IU/L

Women past menopause:

19.3–100.6 IU/L

Many conditions can change FSH levels. Your doctor will discuss any significant abnormal results with you in relation to your symptoms and past health.

• Posted

thank you for this info it very help and i appreciate it thank you.  we get more info from you ladies than we do at doctors thank you x
  • Posted

Found this all really helpful. I am 48 and been suffering anxiety symptoms which I wondered might be hormonal. Still having periods but other stuff driving me crazy especially forgetfulness/memory issues so I have visited my go and had blood test. My fish level was 19.4 u/l which suppests peri-menopausal? In addition my estrangement was 132 pmol/l.

i have been looking at how I can alleviate some of my symptoms with diet or supplements - could you point me in the right direction or have you any ideas?

Helen

• Posted

hi helen sorry to hear you having a bad time.  im not on hrt just trying the natural route and i take advice from the ladies on here.  i take b6 and b12 along with milk thistle cod liver omega fish oil calcium and ive just started evening primrose oil.  ive had a bad week this week but for previous six weeks symptoms were mild after a bad start.  everyone is different and what works for one may not for another but the ladies on here will keep you right and help you as much as they can i find their advice invaluable x
  • Posted

I have just seen my message - my memory isn't that bad - but I mustt stop relying on the predictive text so much!

its not my 'estrangement' it should read estradiol - I need to find out more about that.

thanks for the info about supplements - I haven't used forums before so will keep an eye on this on your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.