Fully enclosed cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

Diagnosed 8 weeks ago. Gleason 4.3= 7

Recommended as a candidate for NanoKnife therapy.

Supposed total ablation of cancer tissue with little to no side effects

Anybody here able to give more info.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi bernie, sounds interesting. I'm in a similar situation. I hope somebody can shed more light on it.

Yabbie

• Posted

Google Professor Stricker. St Vincents Hospital Sydney Australia.
  • Posted

Hey Bernie

I also have a glesson score of 7 at least I had 2 years ago dont;t know what it is yet lab tomorrow. My doctor wants me to get a full castration. But Im not sure I want that. So can you tell me what is a Nanaoknife therapy? Thanks I am looking into all the options that I can afford.

• Posted

NanoKnife therapy is an experimental procedure on prostate cancer where electrodes are placed into the cancer and an electrical charge is administered to ablate the cancer and surrounding tissue without surgery. Being trialled at St Vincents in Sydney Australia and St Lukes London England. Approximately 30 cases have been reported on with excellent results so far. I'm wondering if any readers here may have had the procedures

• Posted

Means nothing to me - sounds like a windup - but I await more info.
    • Posted

George,

I did some research into 'NanoKnife therapy' and it is indeed impressive. Kills the cancer cells (by electric charge) but spares the nerves and good cells.

Patients are treated as 'outpatients' with little after effects and no ongoing problems. 

It's like the difference of 'key hole' surgery vs full 'open you up' surgery. 

Very clever.

Google 'NanoKnife therapy' and do some reading.

I'm glad to see it in Sydney where I am. Usually these new things are on the other side of the Earth.

I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Bernie, I like the sound of it.

Ask the Professor if you could be contacted by any of his previous patients, for their story.

Yabbie

• Posted

I know nothing about Nano knife.

but I do know that prof stricker is in my opinion, the best surgeon who I am sure would alert you to all the options available not just surgery.

he operated on me a few weeks ago.

• Posted

NanoKnife® provides a minimally invasive option for patients with inoperable or difficult-to-reach tumors, including tumors located near critical structures and major blood vessels in the body. Instead of using extreme heat or cold, which could damage normal adjacent tissues, the NanoKnife System uses electrical currents to destroy cancerous tumors.

Instead of using microwave energy, extreme heat or extreme cold, the NanoKnife System uses electrical currents to treat tumors.

While the patient is under general anesthesia, the interventional radiologist carefully guides up to six thin needles (electrodes) into the patient’s body and strategically places them around the tumor. Then, the NanoKnife System sends electrical pulses or currents between each set of needles to puncture permanent nanometer-sized holes into the tumor. This process, called irreversible electroporation (IRE), causes the cancer cells to be unbalanced and triggers a cell “suicide,” thereby destroying the tumor.

The electrical pulses are contained between the electrodes, minimizing damage to surrounding healthy cell tissue, blood vessels and other important structures. After the tumor is destroyed, the body naturally rids itself of the dead cells, which are replaced with healthy cells.

The procedure lasts from two to four hours and is performed on an outpatient basis. The patient is also given antibiotics before and after the procedure to prevent infection

Potential benefits of NanoKnife include:

No open incisions

Less damage to healthy tissue

Minimal postoperative pain

Fewer side effects

Short hospital stay

Quick post-operative recovery

Ability to repeat the procedure if new tumors develop

• Posted

Thank you - sounds very impressive - why I wonder is it not all over the national press who enjoy Prostate Cancer stories.

I will ask my Urologist when I see him on 15 Dec - now on 6 months check ups as long as PSA stays at 0.01.   Zoladex sweats ar not as brutal as they were but can be imbarrassing in a restuarant.

Keep smiling

• Posted

Felix , that procedure sounds great BUT it sounds like it would cost an arm and a leg. I am guessing that since it is a new procedure that the insurance companies have not offered it to there customers. Let me know if I am wrong. 
    • Posted

If the current excellent results hold up then the cost is irrelevant. The procedure does not have an Australian Billing Code but the normal items (theater.anesthesia.etc) do.

I've been quoted $25,000.

Seems to be a no brainer.

Waiting for my health cover to confirm normal items are covered.

• Posted

You are right. Surgeon, assistant surgeon, anaesthiologist and pathology approx $28,000

on top of that is the hospital room and expenses that relate to that. Insurance pays for that, if you have private cover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.