fungal infection of my lung

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a COPD patient who was in the hospital a year ago with pneumonia and the docters took X-rays and found I had a mass in my left lung that they could not identify. they said the good news was that it wasn't cancer but they coud not find out what it was.

After I was discharged from the hospital I went to my family doctor who took sputum and blood tests and said it was a fungal infection of my lung and prescribed fluconasol which helped at the time, that was 1 year ago and it keeps coming back.

Because my imune system is very low and am often on antibiots and I am on a matenane dose of prednisone.

I have found your web site very informative and so has my doctor.

[i:76542af073]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:76542af073]

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with cancer of my right lung of which was completely removed. It was caught early so I didn't even have to have chemotherapy. While looking around my lungs my doctor found what he said looked like a fungus of sorts and I should have it checked out.

While in the hospital with pneumonia the fungus was confirmed. I've been on prednisone for five months and I now have Shingles. I understand prednisone is not good for shingles. I have recently been prescribed itraconazole. 

Have you been prescribed this drug? If so how well did it work? 

• Posted

Yes i have the unfortunte experience of being on itraconazole - it gave me heart failure ! it was prescribed for aspergillus  I was taking this for about three months and became increasingly tired and bad cough and flu like symptoms eventually i couldnt stand up with the pain in my legs and couldnt breath well i was taken to hospital and that was the cause - medication induced heart failure sorry to say i was in hospital for a week and immediately taken off the drug
  • Posted

Thank you and I wish you well. 
  • Posted

Do you live In a mouldy house? Been exposed to floods? Leaky bathroom? Do you have other symptoms? (Fatigue, headaches) you say it keeps co it back - do you keep getting X-rays to show that or is it your symptoms that say it's back.  Try looking at mould poisoning. Mould can be very toxic and very few doctors know much. When searching online the yanks spell it "mold" so broaden your search that way. It's a type of toxic poisoning that can make people sick and even those that think they haven't been exposed can have it.
    • Posted

Hello Rebecca, 

Thank you for your response. We've had our home checked for mold on several occasions.  So far no mold. No leaks in the house. 

I grew up in Charleston, South Carolina not very far from the ocean and of  course many rivers, marshes and very high humidity even in the winter. I have since moved to dryer colder climate and this is when my " fungus" was diagnosed. I'm told it can be cured however it can return. 

I'm as they say I'm "between a rock and a hard place". Prednisone is not good for aspergillis. As I previously mentioned  my pulmonary doctor has prescribed a new drug. 

• Posted

I guess if it's fungal and the antibiotics give fungals the chance to grow, you should heavily support with diet like natural antifungals (garlic capsules, oil of oregano coconut oil all powerful antifungals , there's others) no sugar, yeast, carbs or anything that gives fungus chance to feed and grow. Have you really looked hard at your diet and been strict or just relying on the drugs - it's so hard I know but people who are sick have to do the hard yards to get better sometimes and diet is the hardest step of all but often the most successful treatment of all. 
    • Posted

Good Morning,

I was doing fine until I came down with a case of the Shingles in August, 14. I am now on "Itraconazole". I am very careful regarding my diet due to the prednisone. I try not to take the pain meds because they make me a bit unstable. I understand the prednisone can initiate Shingles.

Perhaps my doctor can find improvement today.

• Posted

I'm a biologist and clinical scientist, I've been doing some reading about having breathing treatment with Lugol's iodine solution for pneumonia. I think I read it on JJ Crows web site.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'll check it out.

Have a great week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.