fusing of the foot bones

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I will be talking to my ortho surgeon this week pertaining to the fusion of the two top bones on my left foot.  This is due to osteoarthritis, the cartilage is gone and they rub against one another, very painful!  We have spoken for many years about this and I have been wearing an "Arizona Brace" which compresses the foot, therefore; relieves the pain. I can't handle the pain with or without the brace any longer!  I don't take anything for it.  Please tell me about how I can prepare us, my elderly husband and I, for the recovery phase.  Should I consider a rehab facility.  The Dr had previously informed me that it would be two months bed rest and another month light-weight bearing?  How will I get to the bathroom, he can't lift me?  I just want to prepare ahead of time to make life work smoothly for us both!  Any suggestions I welcome!!

Mary

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mary, can you rent a wheel chair?  Are you having bone harvested from your leg?  If not, perhaps you can use a knee scooter. Can you navigate on crutches?  

My surgery is in 3 days, as my Arizona brace, too, no longer gives me relief.   I am having 4 fusions, with the potential for more once he gets in there, so I feel your pain, literally. 😊  I wish you the best of luck, Mary. 

Tracy

• Posted

Hi Mary, I am recovering from bunion and 4 hammer toes surgery resulting

in 2 months of bed/sofa rest with no weight bearing until month 3.  I am 66 years old and worried about the same thing..bathroom trips.  We bought a knee scooter and returned it after the single axle rotated 180 degrees and I fell on the bad foot.  We then rented a "Swivelmate Knee Walker" from "Rentaknee walker.  The shipping is free and the Swivelmate has 3 wheels on the front, with 2 wheels in the back which was MUCH safer.  I just rolled out of bed putting my bad leg on the scotter and off I went.  No, I am not a rep for the company, but I don't want anyone to go through hurting their foof like I did.  Stay away from the single axle knee scooter.  A knee scooter over time can bother your back, but it gives you freedom for bathroom trips.  Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you!

• Posted

Hi,

I can't thank you enough for your recommendation for the "Swivelmate Knee Walker".  I checked the web site and phoned them; it looks fabulous, I was so so worried about those bathroom trips and hurting my husband while getting there, now "No Worries".  I hope you have recovered well.  Thanks again!!

• Posted

Hi Mary,

A few other tips which I did might help also....

1. Get the scooter BEFORE you have the operation and practice on it!

2. Buy a railsed toilet seat with handles (much cheaper over the internet than going into the store (why I don't know) It makes it easier to get on and off the toilet.

3. Order a Cast and Bandage Protector. Even if you don't have a cast, you will be able to shower and not get your bandage wet.

4. Order a shower seat with arms and back for you to sit in the shower.

5. Either borrow or buy a walker --- this will help you down the road. 

If I can think of anything else, I will write you again.  I would suggest you get these things before your operation.  You might want to talk to your surgeon, but I think he/she will agree on these items.

Good luck...when are you scheduled for the operation?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info, I Really appreciate it.  I was just @ the surgeon's office, we looked @ the X-rays from 2012 compared to today, WOW! there's Nothing in betweenthe 2 bones.  Scheduled an MRI and CT, he said fusion surgery is the only way.  He stated there are 2 different tools to use:  artificial bone, which can cancer in spinal surgery or my own from my ankle.  Harvesting my own would be a longer surgery and require a night's stay @ the hospital as opposed to the artificial bone with a 1 day surgery.  Can anyone tell me their experience with either mid-foot foot fusion?

Thanks,

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.