Fusion recovery - milestones and tips

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi again guys - so basically after all your advice last time I decided to go ahead with the surgery, and had spinal fusion surgery on Wednesday 15th July (2015) - now I'm wondering about milestones, such as when I can run/swim/get off the pain killers etc. I know that it differs for each person, but I just wanted a vague estimation? Thanks!

Also, the other thing was if you had any tips? Any products that helped with the scar or with mobility? Or just in general?

Finally, just a massive thank you for all the support that you have given me through this journey - couldn't have done it without you!

Much love, Izzie xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know you Izzie, but it sounds as though things are going well for you now and wish you a speedy recovery.   I do know that they use Vit E for burns but just googled it and it seems to be controversial, so the choice is yours.  I bought a sunflower oil cream from a hospital a while back that my husband used on a hand op and that healed very well and very quickly.  But maybe it would have done anyway!  I read just now that vaseline can be good because it keeps in the moisture and that's the most important aspect to reduce scarring.
    • Posted

Thank you for the quick reply Chris, and thank you for your well wishes! smile I will definitely look into sunflower oil cream and vaseline - do you by any chance know when I can start applying it? I was told not to apply anything directly to the incision to begin with, but was given no real time scale smile

Thank you! Izzie x

• Posted

Izzie, I'm so hesitant to advise on this but can tell you my husband started using it as soon as stitches came out, if that's any help?  I was also reading about people who said they'd had success with Bio oil, the stuff they sometimes suggest to help with stretch marks and scarring.
  • Posted

Hi, I had spianl fusion endof Feb 2015. I was on pain relief for the first two months. There after things got easier. I had a lot of stinging and pricking that has only just gone. I was given Baclofen and Gabapentin for this. Best thing for your scar is Bio  Oil. Can be used 6weeks after the op or your first post op to your consultant. Swimming I was given the go ahead July so 6mths after op. running you are looking at a year according to my consultant.  I did not have stitches, the scar was glued. I am waiting on physio now from the NHS as I am slanting to my right. Need core exercises for the weak muscles. Mobility will come with each day. Keep walking and increasing the distance. 

My operation day was also on a Wednesday, and was fortunate enough to have mine done at Stoke Mandeville Hospital (Uk) which is renowned for it spinal centre.  Seems like Wednesday is Scoliosis day. 

Your recovery will speed up once the pain has gone. Keep positive even on the tough days. 

I am  nearly  going back to work now, but the 6mths off was not all due to my spinal surgery, I had major shoulder surgery too. 

Best wishes Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan, thank you for your reply!

Pain relief wise, I was unlucky in that I experienced mild nerve damage, so my back is numb, meaning that I'm not exactly in a lot of pain which I guess is good and bad!

I'm really excited to get back to exercise, so your timings on that have given me something to look forward to! And thank you for the scar advice, I'll definitely go to Boots to find some!

Thank you again - Izzie smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.