FYI for our Fibro fog...it certainly has helped me.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Porridge

Kicking your day off right is crucial for maintaining energy and mental performance. Studies show that those who eat breakfast every day are less at risk of developing obesity, hypertension and diabetes. Porridge is low in calories and a great source of soluble fibre, keeping you full for longer. Serve with plain yoghurt, honey and berries for a well-rounded meal.

Eggs

Egg yolks have often taken a bad rap on the cholesterol front, but they’re a rich source of omega-3 and choline, a compound that can help maintain healthy brain membranes. The full health benefits of eggs are best realised if they’re stored properly, i.e. in the fridge, and cooked thoroughly to kill any potential bacteria.

Bananas

If you’re looking for a mid-morning snack, look no further than a banana. Bananas contain a high sugar content and a lot of potassium, which is an essential mineral that aids concentration and keeps your brain, nerves and heart in good shape.

Blueberries

Blueberries are said to be a memory-booster and may help protect the brain from the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Blueberries are also rich in antioxidants, and are low in sugar. 

Spinach

Dark leafy greens are full of antioxidants and carotenoids, which boost brain power and help to protect your brain. The B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids in spinach are proven to enhance memory, focus and overall brain health.

Salmon

Omega-3 fatty fish is lauded for its brain-enhancing properties. Salmon is a concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help rebuild brain cells. Diets high in fatty acids have been linked to slower cognitive decline and a lower risk of stroke. The protein in salmon contains essential amino acids that are vital for maintaining brain focus.

Beetroot

A lesser-known memory-boosting food, beetroot has been attributed with promoting better memory, concentration and overall increased cognition. Beetroot contains nitrates, which can dilate the blood vessels and allow for increased blood flow and oxygen to the brain, improving concentration.

Dark chocolate

Your brain’s preferred fuel source is glucose, which it can get from the sugars and carbs that you eat. A burst of something sweet, such as dark chocolate, provides your brain with caffeine to boost alertness. Dark chocolate is lower in fat and refined sugar than milk chocolate. It also boosts the brain’s serotonin and endorphin levels, supporting better concentration.

Green tea

Before you reach for the coffee, consider the benefits of a cup of green tea. Green tea contains a high concentration of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body. It also contains a high amount of caffeine, which is released slowly into your body – unlike coffee – allowing for prolonged concentration.

Water

As thirst and dehydration can cause fatigue, sometimes water is all you really need. Drinks containing caffeine will only dehydrate you further, so remember to keep reaching for the H2O regularly throughout the day.

5 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry can't handle porridge, as I grew up on it but I love Bircher muesli, I soak it the night before in rice milk and grated green apple, and it is delicious. I mix my own so it is sulphur free. I also love bananas for a snack.
    • Posted

With you on that one...just received that info....I eat chopped fresh fruit in season and yohurt..nearly every morning...we dont eat any grains...but I was very pleased to read that I eat the rest on the list which is supposed to help my brain...but when that fog sets in...gotta wonder if it would be worse if I didn't include this so called  brain food...I don't know we seem to try anything...especially if its free..lol..I'm like you with bananas, if you chop it up and freeze it makes fantastic Icecream too with added coconut cream and vanilla bean paste...I also add frozen berries for variety sometimes .....come on summer..... whizzed of course yummy..!!!

be blessed Meg, have a lovely day..:-) xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the dessert ideas sound yum, as I am allergic to dairy, desserts are a problem. I have cut down on grains to, mostly wheat. I was losing too much weight on no grains and as breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I started eating, Bircher muesli. I find the muesli gives me the fuel to get through the morning, with its oats, nuts, seeds, coconut and sulphur free dried mango and pineapple. The other plus is I have now put on weight. I do need some treats as I can not tolerate chocolate.

Warm Hugs Christine, hope Tasmania is warming up.

Meg

🌺

• Posted

Totally agree with your list there christine...  it's exactly what I try to stick to, when I can afford to...  :-))
    • Posted

We are sooo good when we can afford to be aren't we? Apart from porridge as I've just shared with am eg..be blessed deb...have a lovely day:-)xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Christine I absolutley love porridge, I was brought up on it. I also love bannans. I dont like dark chocolate. Ive tried green tea it wasnt for me.I love eggs but dont eat ffried food any more. Beetroot I am mad on I eat loads of that.take care gentle hugsmile
    • Posted

I once never ever would eat fried food..let alone eat eggs...but frying in coconut oil is soo healthy...I was just amazed when I started to research what Paleo was all about..those old myths that were passed down through mum and her mum..etc...were just soo wrong...the food we were supposed to eat was such a myth, not to mention some of it were really bad for you, just came to be from a wrong so called research base...my mum sees the error of her ways now and she's 86...lol

it was very hard for my daughter who is doing a medical PhD..to understand it all..so she really researched it, he knows now..and eats differently...I love beetroot anyway I can get it..love the relish and baked beets..mm..be blessed Kaz, it doesn't  matter how old we get we learn something new nearly every day..lol ....have a lovely weekend.,:-)xxx

• Posted

Hi christine how are you today hun.we are learning all the time, I dont think you ever stop learning what ever age you are.Ive been out this morning just got back and having a rest. I tried to walk its really hurt my legs, Im in agony now. But I hate useing my wheelchair Im stuborn I keep pushing myself to walk. We went to an antique centre, it had a coffee shop so we had a coffee which was nice. Im just resting now. Hope you have alovely weekend christine take care gentle hugsmile
    • Posted

Poor you Kaz...every time we seem to do anything we get some sort if set back..but you have the right attitude and that's the  key  hey??? I have a wheelchair too, bought it when I had to have the knee op, don't use it niw of course...but I gotta admit it's very tempting sometimes...it's 11am Saturdsy morning..lovely day..yay..my back is almost normal niw..found the culprit....my electric chair...lol.supposed to help me..grr...it's when it's in the semi laying down position...well the good news is, I know now...what not to do..another learning curve...lol..have a lovely weekend..pace yourself too..gentle hugs from over the seas..be blessed Kaz..:-) xxx
    • Posted

morning christine hope you managed to sleep well. Im pleased to hear your back is getting back to normal, thats good to hear. I really enjoyed yesterday it was great to get out about. Im paying for it today but it was worth it. we cant let fibro spoil our fun we need some enjoyment else whats the point. its sunny here today which is good as Im buisy washing Ive loads of it too do. Fancy your electric chair causeing your back problem its suppose to be helping you?lol I dont know you buy things to help you they cause more prolems. never mind onwards upwards take care christine have a lovely weekend gentle hugs from me in sunny shropshire x
    • Posted

Hi Kaz..yeah we do spend sooo many  $'s just trying...it's 9.10am, Sunday..a nice day..for winter anyway..it's going to rain later on...off to church soon and out to lunch with friends..back is just about right now..thank God...just don't know how you all you precious people live with back pain...I just have to buy a better chair..actually I have a yellow leather one that matches our suite that's in the garage with broken mechanism..hubby wanted to throw it out, but I said no as it was fairly newish..lol..so it's just sitting there..I kept lifting myself up on the bit that pulls out..as I'm short , and I broke it...mm..It still looks quite new,.ill have to get it fixed..it's a lot better than the one that

is not too good for my back..I guess there all ok, but if you have to sit on them for soooo long sometimes ...grr..anyway I had a tad of trouble going off to sleep last night...I ended up turning the radio off and sleep just happened...it was about 1am...still had a good sleep though, woke at 8am...have a lovely weekend Kaz, be blessed..:-) 

• Posted

afternoon christine sorry to hear you had trouble getting off to sleep. so annoying when that happens. I keep waking up and not going back off to sleep. cant understand why I keep waking up I just end up either getting up or just lieing their watching the hands on the clock going round. My mum suffered alot with back pain I am too. A disc in my back has a tear in it its not healing. Ive had it since last year. dr was on about an operation not over keen on having an op. Hope you have alovely time with your friends and a lovely lunch. so pleased your back has eased for you. take care christine enjoy the rest of sunday gentle hugs karen x
    • Posted

Morning Kaz, your probably in bed...sleeping I hope, I went off to sleep really good last night....hubby wow me at 9am..it's snowing everywhere here...soo unusual for Tasmania..not new, but it's everywhere this time... Does look pretty though..staying inside in the warmth today..going to make something very easy and simple today alarge Shepherds Pie..enough for a couple of days.....then I'm just resting up..my usual Monday..apart from popping in to podiatrist, just up the road, because my back was bad I had to cancel last week..your back must get very sore..Poor you..have a lovely day Kaz, be blessed..:-) xxx
    • Posted

morning christine How are you today hun?Pleased to hear you slept well that always an added bonus for us when we are able to sleep. Shepherds pie yummy, I love shepherds pie with loads of veg and gravy. I  woke up a couple of times last night but managed to get back off. Its 9.23 here in the morning. sun is shinning a t min Ive loads of washing too do dont know where it all comes from. I had 3 lovely days out in a row. its casmileught me up now but the acheing pain tiredness are worth it as had 3 lovely days out. Snow how lovely it looks so pretty especially when the sun catches it and it glistens. Hope you have a good week christine and not too much pain take care gentle hugs xx
    • Posted

Soooo good you managed three days out in a row..well done you..that's an epic thing to do ... Unfortunately we do have that price to pay..but is has gotta be worth it..I made one large shepherds pie 2 small ones and 

2 in ramekins...I use tin foil throw out baking trays.,so I managed to freeze some..yay...lamb mince is soooo hard to get here, I have to buy fillet and mince it.,,you would think it's readily available here but it's not...yeah snow..I couldn't  resist putting some of the photos on here of my daughters property that she emailed me..it was covered in white-it looked like a fairy take..it's big news here as it doesn't happen very often..there was even snow on the sandy beaches down South..be blessed Kaz..have a lovely day.,:-) xxx

• Posted

Thank you shareing those beautiful pictures of the snow. snow is so pretty especially when the sun catches it it just glistens. keep warm christine take care gentle hugs x have a lovely day xsmile
    • Posted

I've been in the nearly all day..in the cozy warmth...hooe your doing well Kaz, be blessed have a lovely day..yea I love the sine..only to look at but..I remember taking the Turks to the snowy mountains one year..they didn't really like it...it was just a novelty to them..only the youngest one ever went skiing when she was older but just the twice.....they prefer the beach..mm...wink
    • Posted

I prefer the beech to the snow any time. I would love the snow to come on christmas day but go boxing day, I dont like it when its icy for travelling in. I worry about my hubby getting to from work safely. I like to see it but always glad when its gone. I love the sea and the beach would love to live near the sea. thats my idea of heaven. keep warm take care have alovely day save me some shepherds pie on my way over for somelol gentle hugs from me to you x
    • Posted

I've frozen a pie for you Kaz. We used to live across the road from one

of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast of Tasmania...it was very beautiful.but we just got sooo bored..it was only a small town, like most of our be achy areas are..there all beautiful with white silica sand and crystal blue waters, but it grew by 100 percent in the hot season,,we began to not like the holiday makers.,how sad are we.,we sold up and moved back,  it's funny isn't it.,,baked dinners  seem synonymous with Christmas, but it's bar-b-question and fancy salads, cold turkey and ham, over here, but do you think you could get my mum to have a Christmas Day  without a fancy baked dinner...wow!! It used to be sooo hot..she must have thought she was back in Yorkshire..we are more into Bar-b-Que and Pavelova and mixed berries ...you can take the mother out of England but you Couldn't  take England

out of her..that's for sure..its soooo cosy inside...just heard on tonight's news that they are expecting more snow...mmm...another exciting day in...oh well a Shepherd pie for tomorrow it is...we havent had it yet...it's 10pm here.. Have a good sleep tonight Kaz, be blessed..:-) xx

• Posted

hi christine Hope you have a good nights sleep hun. hope youve had a good day and a restful one. I am like your mum it wouldnt matter where I was in the world. I cant live with out my sunday roast, sunday isnt sunday for me with out my roast dinner and yorkshire puds. My mumcame from yourkkshire too Beverley in yorkshire. My relatives live ferriby and a couple in hull. I love yorkshire and the people they are no nonse people and straight talkers. My mom didnt mince her words with any one, what she was thinking she said bless her. keep warm sleep well gentle hugs nite nite x
    • Posted

Great sleep....cold outside today..another day in the cosy warm..watching anything and everything on Netflix...hope it's nice tomorrow and our daughter isn't snowed in again, so we can have little Noah, she's at the uni today...so hopefully it will be ok for tomorrow..gee I'm sounding very routine aren't I ??? Yirshure people are very straight..I was born in Middlesborough, my husband is a cockney, but his dad married a Yorkshire girl while he was up there in the army...then they lived in Hackney, where my husband is from so just about all our rello's are from Darby, Durham and Yorkshire.. .hope you have a lovely day Kaz...be blessed..

I love Yorkshire pudding..but I don't eat wheat..I've concocted a recipe not as good as the original but it's ok...:-) xxx

• Posted

Mt mums family are all from yorkshire, my dads family from telford shropshire. my mum met my dad when he was in the raf staioned in yorkshire. when they got married they moved to telford. my mum never lost her yorkshire accent. she was a straight talker who never minced her words. she was a yorkshire lass through through.hope your daughter doesnt get snowed in.must be lovely for you to have your grandson to look after and take out at times. take care christine gentle hugs x
    • Posted

Hiya Kaz, snow all gone from here now...mm...my mother in law from County Durham still has a but of an accent..my mum still has a little accent too,but she thinks she doesn't,  and we came here in 1958... Giving my age away here, I was a child, so I don't have an accent..if any, some words quite cockney...my husband will never loose his either..it is no way as strong as it was, but as soon as he opens his mouth people say " O' your English..how long have you been here" lol..only since 1968??? it's just amazing where we all started as a twinkle in our dad's eye ....lovely day here today...5-11 ..nice and sunny..cold but not windy,,..it's 9.45am..we are off to a city prayer meeting, then out to lunch..gentle hugs...be blessed..have a lovely day....

.hope you had a good sleep last night Kaz.,:-) xxx

• Posted

Hi christine hope you had alovely lunch out and a good meeting.  I had a disturbed sleep last night feel shatterd today but ploding on. hope you managed to sleep well, and dont ache too much after your day out. hope you have alovely day christine and keep warm its 10.35 am Im going to do some washing then see if i have the energy to hoover. thinking of you take care big hug from to you xxsmile
    • Posted

Twas a great day..lovely lunch out too...I haven't done washing, ironinhpg or vacuuming for at least 11 yrs inept...I've got  an awesome husband...either that or he wants a job well done..lol ...although gotta admit I used to forget what I was doing sometimes ..so I just stick to cooking now, we were very fortunate my husband could afford to retire at 45..thank God..I couldn't do anything at all once....hope you have a really nice day.,we've just started watching a great movie..it's 9pm here..cosy and warm in..,probably really cold out?...be blessed Kaz :-) xxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.