Fyling after partial knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I'm having a partial knee replacement either Aug 5th or a week later on Aug 12. I'm going to flying to PR on Sept 6th for my father's 80th birthday. I know i'm cutting it very close. The flight is 3:10 mintues. It will be 4 weeks post op.

What doesn everyone think? My doctor's physicians assistant says I shoud wait 4-6 weeks but it's my father's 80th bday and we have been planning his surprise bday party for a while.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Iris,

I can sympathize with you because I had to make a decision for my TKR.  I am taking a five hour flight 12 weeks post op surgery.  It is now 7 weeks post op and I am still struggling with PT twice a day at home and 3 times a week outpatient, pain, icing, rest and the list goes on.  

Of course, I don't know about partial knee replacement so I'm sure someone on this wonderful site will help you.

Good luck and happy birthday to your Dad.  I hope you can go to celebrate!

• Posted

Marilyn, I'm 8 weeks po from RTKR and can tell you my knee feels better each week.  You have five more weeks of recovery and I think with that amount of time you should be okay.  Good luck.

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty.. I can't thank you enough for your words of encouragement . Yes, I agree the changes occur weekly. Up until 7 weeks post op TKR I didn't sleep for more than an hour due to the pain.My bed looked like a war zone. Finally, I went back to my hormone therapy and took progesterone and slept 5 hours straight. Today, I started all my vitamins. We need our sleep for strength and pt. but had to go off everything pre and post op. Two months without supplements was a killer for me. I have celiac disease and lost ten lbs., was slightly anemic and looked malnourished.

Please let us know about your progress. I am sending you healing wishes. .. Marilyn

• Posted

Hi, just wondering why you had to stop the supplements after surgery, I've never heard of that. 

• Posted

Because some supplements can cause clotting. ... Didn't you have to take Coumedin or a blood thinner?  I took it for 6 weeks and was monitored by the internist on the team.  I had to have my blood checked twice a week and visiting nurse came to house.  My doctor believes in being on blood thinners for 6 weeks even though it can cause swelling.  I would rather swelling than blood clot.

• Posted

Oh wow!  No, I'm in UK, we had injections in hospital, 4 days, then only had to wear anti embolism stockings (socks) for 6 weeks.  I'm 13 weeks now, and doing ok.  You sound like you've been through it all.   Sending you healing thoughts. 

• Posted

Hi Iris

I had a partial knee replacement on May 19, 2016  and at 4 weeks  post op went to a convention that I really needed to be at (was in Florida about a 3/1/2 hours flight  but I had to also switch planes )

I survived it but the travel was brutel ( I suggust setting  up a wheelchair the entire way ) I only did partially and walking the airport was bad bad. I also used a cane to help take some of the pressure off. By the end of the 4 day convention I was in sever pain, all swelled up  and totally felt like a had gone backwards. It took me a good week of iceing, elevating etc. (with working full time) to get back to where I was before I went.

So............my advice is this.........everyone is different and heals different. You are not going to  a convention. You will be able to rest, ice and elevate while you are visiting. I am sure many others will tell you to not go too soon, which I agree with, but at 4 weeks I did feel well enough to try. My Dad is 84 and I can tell you that I would make the trip if It were my dad. Enjoy and spend all the time you can with him! (just my thoughts wink.  It may set you back but if you know that ahead of time you can plan somewhat. Be sure to take your pain meds with you !

All the best to you with the surgery. I am so very glad I had it biggrin

Let us know how it all goes.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi iris, I know that's an important celebration however u really need to see how u r doing and what your dr says. I had tkr and at 4 weeks I could hardly do anything. Gl with your surgery

• Posted

Get approval from Doc because of blood clots etc. Wear support hose, and put something like a carry on bag under your seat so that you can elevate it. Get up and walk as often as possible, and keep pumping your foot. Take your pain meds and keep them in your system, drink lots of water. Suffer it out and you'll get there. Lol. You're going to be suffering anyway, more than likely. I would take a chance if at all possible, because I'm like that! I think his bday is important. Or you can possibly delay your surgery for after? 

• Posted

Like Marilyn says, ask for assistance on the plane...great idea. They will take care of you. And you will set the alarms off going through security too! Even if you feel pretty good. Make it look a little worse and take advantage of the assistance. don't walk the distances.

• Posted

I think the pain is all over my face so I don't have to fake it...ha ha.  I will also have my granddaughter with me and she can give them the ice bags to freeze.  I alsready called the airline and told them about the surgery and have a letter from the doctor that describes the prosthesis and material it is made of. You can be sure I won't walk unless I have to and that will be with a cane.  I hope they will let me take a tube of Voltarin that I use as an antiinflammatory because it is more than 4 oz.  I will call airline again just to be sure.  All I want to do is stay home and heal but in this case my son would be extremely upset.  

Thank you again for your support

• Posted

As far as the letters.....they aren't worth the paper they are written on when it comes to security as the airlines don't control the TSA/HSA. When you have the documents and get ready to go through security they will nod and tell you to go stand over there so they can run the wand over you and when you contact the letters they will tell you to go stand over there so they can run the sand over you. Each airport is different but I've found going out of the continental U S is the most stringent at every airport.

Don't try and take filled ice bags through security as it more than 3 oz and not allowed. Take empty bags and let the crew on board fill them. Ask as soon as you get on board and they will generally take care of it before you get airborne.

• Posted

I have to admit, my flights from India to Thailand, Bangkok and Myanmar (and the reverse back to India) and again from India to the USA, were sort of disapointing when it came to security. I'd gotten the special card from the doctor the flash and no one really cared. They swiped the wand over my knees and said okay. In the USA, every time I've flown domestic flights (most were out of either Las Vegas or Phoenix) they had me go in the big x-ray machine so they saw exactly what was in my knees. Oh, except for when my cat flew with me in the cabin, then we both went to a special room. biggrin

• Posted

In Denver theyput me through the X Ray and the wand. As my wife's Parkinson's disease has worsened we don't travel anymore

• Posted

and I can't say I miss it. I traveled for over 40 years, retiring in 2003. I enjoyed the work but the last 10 years were not enjoyable thanks to the airport scene. My oldest son live in Asia and Europe his last 12 years before retiring in Switzerland and moving back to the Midwest. My youngest lives in central CA, travels every week and still has 10 to 12 years to go. Don't know how he keeps from going nuts. He never was the epitomie of patience anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.