Gabapentin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been taking pregabalin/Lyrica for roughly 5yrs at 300mg a day. Today I find out that my rheumatologist wants me to start on gabapentin as well as the pregabalin, starting on 300mg eventually getting up to 900mg a day. Has anyone else taken both these meds and have they worked? What are your experiences? 

Thanks xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

WHen I was firs diagnosed the doctor put me on gabapentin , it was horrible for me I acted crazy for 3 days with taking only 2 pills. Almost cost me my family and marriage. Then the doctor put me on Lyrica it helped at first, but as pain continued so did the uppering of the milligrams of Lyrica ( I take 200 mg 3 times a day ) the doctor also uppered my Cymbalta to 60 mg 2 times a day. I don't see the reason why he would use 2 medicines in the same class of meds unless you are experiencing something. My doctor said that 200 mg is the max but for severe he will upper my dose next time. I am also suppuse to start suboxone and then slowly get of Lyrica and use only suboxone as my pain relief.

Everyone is different but I would ask him for his reasoning and then check with the pharmacist. My thought is doctors diagnose and write perscriptions. Pharmascist knows what meds are made off , there side effects and how they correspond with other meds.

• Posted

Hi diagnosisalie,  

Thanks for your reply. My GP was also a little confused by the recommendation and contacted my rheumatologist about it. Apparently he only sees patients with fibromyalgia and there have been some good results with people who have tried both meds together, especially when one or the other meds have been tolerated well. He also recommended lowering my amatriptalin, with the hope I can drop the 2mg of diazepam at night. I've been having dreadful spasms and nerve pain in my arms and upper legs. 

It's  good to hear other people's experiences with anything new though. Hope your doing much better now.

Thanks, gentle hugs xx

• Posted

I have been on gapapentin for my fibro and it made me feel sleepy and felt numb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.