gabapentin

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi,i have been taking 100mg x 3 per day for nerve pain and it seems to be working but noticed i have lost appetite been on this medication for around 2 months anybody else experienced this thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I recognise this straight away, I built up to a dose of 1800mg daily of gabapentin ( I have now come off it, as after an amazing period where it was like the magic pill, I started to get cognitive side effects (memory.etc) and it got worse and am still only 41 now, this was when I was 36 I think, and went from bright degree educated 30 something to someone who felt like had Alzheimers ). Anyhow, yes I also lost a LOT of weight. In fact I could not even think what to eat for a meal, so huby had to prepare, then as soon as my body had had enough to eat I would not / could not finish the meal, I would give to the dog or put in the bin. I think if I had lived alone I would have been quite poorly, I looked very washed out, even if I was back to a fab size 10 dress size !.I did improve, ish, I would mention to your dr. I changed after a couple of years onto another drug in this class called pregabalin, and this did not have the same effect on me. It's an odd one, some people put on a lot of weight, others ( fewer ) lose their appetite. As these drugs work on GABA receptors in the brain it's no wonder they potentially have side ffects affecting memory, appetite, sexual desire, etc.....good luck. I did mention to my doctor, so we halted escalayion for short period to see if improved, so so, I just really had to ''make myself'' eat, at least small portions. Good luck, or alternatively, like me, find another way !! I put up with lots of side effects but even in extreme pain when my cogitive function got so badly affected I decided enough was enough and weaned myself slowly off them. Shame dr had never mentioned that one when I started treatment on it ( I have a degree in Pharmacology !!).
    • Posted

thanks for reply holly much appreciated glad iam only on a small dosage i did begin notice the appetite loss pretty quickly and although on other medications i am pretty sure its the gabapentin shame because it as worked for the nerve pain,i will now drop down to 200mg for a month and then a 100mg for another month then discontinue and seek another medication late december at neurology appointment,hope your doing ok on the pregablin thank you
    • Posted

you're welcome, I have been going through the mill with pain clinic appointments and meds and procedures for my lower back problem/sciatica and other things for last 9 years, tbh i don't take the pregabalin either now. It's not that the nerve pain has gone away, I suffer from it in varying intensity from one day to another, just that the cognitive side effects I suffered were a problem with both of these drugs. Therefore,and as I felt I had perhaps developed some sort of tolerance to gabapentin / pregabalin over the years I slowly discontinued it, I will know in a few months if my memory problems and language centre of my brain gets any better. Early days yet I am told despite I have been off it a few months now,The appetite problems resolved quicker than this memory issue I have, and despite being on other meds too like you, I am darn sure it is the GABA receptor meds.....good luck. There are other thinsg, meds and procedures, amitryptiline ( an old style TCA ) can be used at low doses for pain ( sadly I don't get on with this, makes me feel like I have flu ), and there are procedures that don't involve taking meds at all depending on what your exact nerve problem is, eg. for sciatica there is radiofrequency ablation of nerve endings, there are also steroid injections, trigger point injections of steroid ( done under X-ray), varies case to case, so worth exploring options, see whats best for you.
    • Posted

sound like you suffered a bit of pain over years holly its not goodrolleyes i am like you with nerve pain its there daily along with the leg spasms seems be worse at nightime when resting in bed,i was on amitrip 25mg for roughly a year and half it was brilliant i had great sleeps but groggy in mornings plus weight gain and good appetite but i developed major heart palpitations daily so had to ween myself off it and that was a nightmare took me a good 5 months get rid of withdrawl symptoms...my problems are all spinal related condition similar to MS the gabapentin is working for nerve pain i just hope appetite gets better in time,your replies have been interesting reading thank you hollylol
    • Posted

I used to work for 2 pharma companies selling a wide range of Rx meds, but my area of expertise was mental health and antidepressants, but it doesn't take some one even that educated on them to know that the side effect profile of amitryp. is pretty bad. It was one f the first ever to the market, but has so many side effects, is only used by pain clinics at low doses, I just felt too ill on it to even get to the point where I benefited from it. I have heard similar stories of coming off pregabalin and gabapentin so be warned !, but you are not on a huge dose, I was on 1800mg was some years, but they are still finding more out about these meds, in terms of lon terms side effects. Guessing your date like mine might relate to a birthday year, so yeah, pretty painful when in 30's and have good job etc and then lower back prob's ensue, and steroid injections that once worked over the years stopped working for any length of time worthwhile. GABA drugs - fab, until cognitive side effects became an issue for me. Nothing left though, that's the problem ! I live on morphine for pain too, but nothing is very effective on nerve pain. I used to find the nights horrendous and lonely too, so got a back lit Kindle and always have a novel on the go so if wake up I can try and istract my brain a bit from the pain. I have also tried an 8 week Mindfullness course ( ramn by Breathworks), which was very good, not a cure but learned some helpful skills and meditation which can help on v bad days. Good Luck !
    • Posted

yes amitrip was one of the first on the market it did me good apart from the rapid heartbeats they were not nice,it worked for the pain and also made me feel better all round i have recently wondered if a newer antidepressant may help me and kinda calm the anxiety...like you say i am only on a small dose of gabapentin and its highly unlikely i will allow myself to go over 600mg i try not get addicted to medications although i am on powerful immune suppression drugs cellcept....and like you i also have a kindle at hand i love reading never used to up until i got my illness now the kindle distracts my thoughts if i wake up in early hours..hope you have more good days than bad days holly enjoy your weekend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.