Gabapentin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is a drug that is helping me tremendously with anxiety.

I have SEVERE anxiety.

I had to just stop my antidepressent abruptly due to bad side effects (serotonin toxcitiy)...and I also stopped the Gabapentin.

My Dr. told me it was safe to restart the Gabapentin which is for Fibromyalgia...but I noticed within an Ā hour after taking it my anxiety level reduced TREMENDOUSLY.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing what antidepressants were you on and how long for xx
    • Posted

Hi..I was on Citalopram for 10 years...or more.

They then put me on Trazadone for a month (didn't work for sleep).

Then put me on Seroquel for 2 days....when I took an Imitrex for a Migraine...I started vomiting...and then I looked up drug interactions...and found that the Citalopram interacts with everything I take...so I abruptly stopped it...since it is the drug that is working the LEAST for me.

That is why dumb a** Dr. increased dose without telling me the dangers of the interactions.  I called Pharmacist and Pharmacist said she did make the Dr. aware of the interaction possibility and the stupid Dr. moved forward with prescribing it without telling me what to watch out for.

So...when my NICE Dr....called yesterday (my PCP) and said it was safe to restart Gabapentin....I then realized I felt 100% better with anxiety rather quickly.

• Posted

I been on citalpram now 8 years with little breaks but had go back on also on diazapam 1or 2 a day 2 mg but still not right having up down days due to a first appointment with consultant phychatrist on Thursday as I want be sorted I was convinced somethings wrong my head due right side head burning and ear I paid private MRI March which GP did t no and had a MRI on head again on Sunday this week everything all fine no I worrying my heart I been like these 10 year now feel not getting a day without worrying about health I scared taking medication as well incase allergic reaction but I gone back in citalapram 7 week ago but worry all time take I been on diazapam 8 year somethimes 1 a day or 1 every other / I decided going tell consult everything if they have time listen don't want be just given loads drugs have you seen a consultant xx

• Posted

Hi...what I have noticed jacku...is that off Citalopram I feel less anxious...I feel more sleepy at night...I've really been struggling with sleep.

It could be withdrawal from them thou.  I DO need something for depression and ruminating thoughts and racing thoughts.  

Yes, I do see a psychiatrist...and I hate the witch.  But, the reason I won't leave her is because she works with a team of therapist...and I LOVE a therapist there who has just agreed to take me as a client.

The psychaitrist is so concerned about the .5 Ativan I am on she wasn't paying attention to all the Serotonin producing drugs she was prescribing me and I got VERY sick this weekend because of it.

I called the office on Sunday and on Monday and still have not received a phone call back.

On the other hand my PCP is wonderful and have called me like 4 TIMES.

I don't like taking drugs either and have been researching herbs..but alot of them interact with other medication...and I'm scared to get sick again. 

So for anxiety symptoms I am currently taking.

Chamomile tea at night

B Complex Vitamin

Fish Oil

Gabapentin

the .5 Ativan

Melatonin

However, the natural herb that works the best interacts with many medications and many foods and that is St. Johns Wort.  I have thought about Ginseng and doing some research...on it...but the arsenal I have right now is doing ok....

I always worry about my health too..I had an abnormal MRI of brain...having another one next week..it is non specific...meaning they don't know why and don't know what symptoms it can cause....SO WHY they are bothering to do another one? I have no freaking idea.

I also have nodules on lungs and liver.

I also just got my income shut off.

I also had 8 years of recovery from drinking and drank on and off last 2 years.

I also had a great job and left it...2 years ago....I'm just so worried and anxious..constantly.

• Posted

Actually those are all the drugs I take now.

I eliminated Citalopram, Seroquel...and Trazadone...

• Posted

Please tell me more. Ativan helps but it in smallest dose age makes me so drowsy I can't carry on my duties and I hear very addictive. Please tell me how u took it. Dosage and times a day anything. Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi Bucket..I am very sensitive to medication.

A normal dosage for Gabapentin is 300mg 3x a day!

I also am prescribed Ativan and the same as you...it works for about 20 minutes...and then I'm tired....

So, I now use the Ativan 0.5 at night with my Melatonin to sleep.

Melatonin by the way is also supposed to be an anxiety relief med.

Anyway, Gabapentin is not usually prescribed for anxiety but for seizures or generalized pain.

My Dr. prescribed it for Fibromyalgia.  But, I recently had to abruptly stop all medication because my STUPID psychiatrist was prescribing medications that interacted dangerously with my other meds...

So, I was in really bad withdrawals yesterday...and my anxiety was super high and the Ativan was not even touching me or making me drowsy.  

So, my Primary Care told me it was safe to restart the Gaba....I took it and immediately about 1/2 hour later....noticed I felt 100% better.  She told me to restart with my 300mg...but I DIDNT I was too afraid....i took 100mg.

So depending on your weight and tolerance....would depend on what works for you.  

I got up this morning and looked up Gabapentin and anxiety and many studies have shown that Gabapentin works as good as or better than the medications (benzos) like Ativan.  BUT, the studies are not supported at this time for Drs to prescribe just for Anxiety.

So talk to your Dr about what they are willing to do....it said we can even withdraw the BENZO (Ativan) and replace with Gabapentin.

I think any Dr. would be willing to do that...because Gabapentin is not a controlled substance...not a high likely hood of abuse.

• Posted

Guess u mean panic attacksĀ 
    • Posted

Both...it is known to work for both.
    • Posted

I don't really have any and I am super sensitive to medication.  As you can see I'm taking 100 mg 3 x a day...I'm supposed to take 300mg 3x. a day.

It can cause weight gain but I don't know if it did for me because I was on other medication that causes severe weight gain.  

My sister could not tolerate it...said it knocked her out....but she weighs 80lbs....for real.  I weigh about 126.

I don't feel a thing except less anxiety.

• Posted

Will readdress this tonight. I hate this condition. Years and years ago I became agoraphobic for 5? Long years. That is why Ā my fear is so grat

now I have spouse with dementia a mother age 98 lives in our inlaw suite and this has gotten me back fighting this mess. Starting with a counsellor in 2 weeks to see if talking will help

• Posted

It is said talking helps us the most....2 weeks is a long time from now sad.

Do you have any pain that you can request Gabapentin for? Are you close to your Dr?  It really helps...and it is noticable.

• Posted

No pain. Dr my psy I like very much but is mainly a medicine man. Am going to psychologist to talk 26
    • Posted

This may sound silly...but if you are as desperate as I am to quell the anxiety....maybe you will try it...my stupid psychiatrist that I hate cut down my anxiety med (Ativan) to .5 a day...instead of 3 .5 a day....

So...I was reeling with anxiety...I tried Chamomile tea at night time and I drink it now about 9pm...it really DOES make me feel calm...a little bit....

Every little thing we can do to stop the anxiety I just want to throw out there!

• Posted

Ativan is a work immediately med. It is not a daily antidepressant,therefore it will not take away your anxiety,just  help a few hours a day. Your family doctor is capable of perscribing meds. for you, If one did not work for you, and you had a side affect, then they will try another. There has to be a starting point. Don't give up.

• Posted

I do not understand the Ativan. I am on it  but I take 1/2 of a 0.5 and it calms the anxiety I  am having BUT I am so tired and sleepy and unmotivated I can't do anything. Next.my dr says this pill lasts only for I think he said 4 hours.  Seems like.  A quick band aid for the moment but really not a fix  fixing anxiety. Sorta compared to an aspirin for a headache.  So if this be true and its just like a quick fix for the moment and they continue increasing. This is just setting a patient up for another problem since I am reading very addictive. SO besides the ssris which I cannot take. What's the answer 

• Posted

That's exactly what I just posted.  So can't take amitriptaline. Can't take ssris no buspar I am getting no where fast. And I know from experience. The longer this thing goes on without correction the deeper it gets years ago I ended up agoraphobic for 5 years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.