Gabapentin

Posted , 9 users are following.

Could 4600mgs of gabapentin a day be harmful?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes!!! Are you currently taking Gabapentin?? I was on 3600 mg daily for 5 years, and while it did control pain for a while it did great damage to my brain, my ability to function, and my emotional health. Why are you being prescribed so much???

• Posted

Hi Scott,I've taken gabapentin for many many years and it saved my life (with the pain )and my sanity,i took 3600mg daily for 10 years or more and one time when at the pain clinic got prescibed 4500mg daily which I took for a month only to feel exactly the same as 3600mg and when a thorough look online and a chat with a private clinic dr in swindon found out that anything higher than 3600mg daily, that is considered the max ,your body will naturally get rid of,get a second opinion ofcourse and by the way your body gets used to 3600mg daily after many months and life go's on with hopefully a lot less pain, hope this helps a little 😊

• Posted

That is incomprehensible.  You are the only person I have ever heard of that has taken that much and have something good to say about it. The vast majority of people (including my self) can't tolerate it and have devasting side effects after a while. I was on 600 to 1200 mg per day for 4 years....until the horrible side effects drove me to taper off..now I'm down to 100 mg 2 times daily,  and  after 6 weeks am still having very troubling withdrawal symptoms.....very unpleasant and troubling......I'm getting off  all drugs  for good and will never take any kinds of drugs again except in cases of acute pain.  

• Posted

I took 3600-4000 mg a day for five years and it kept me on my feet and functioning - without it I would have been in bed from severe neuropathic Lyme pain. But while it was controlling symtoms it was wreaking havoc with my memory, cognitive function, reflexes, and other functioning  probably don't recognize still. There has to be a better way

• Posted

Interesting ,I too am going to come off all drugs,at present I am on 100mg of pregabalin and have facial neuropathy.Where do you live and why have you decided to come off all drugs and what is your health problem?
    • Posted

And that's it my pain without gabapentin,tramadol and tramadol drops is truley unbearable ,my legs burn and the nerves make so much pain my brain feels like it will explode and I wouldn't want to be here (not exagerated) without the meds,also have plates in my l4/l5 and 2 years ago here in Germany had a spinal stimulator fitted,basically 2 cables in my spine connected to a 9 year memory battery in my arse cheek which helps me reduce as the high electrical pulse down both legs actually beats the pain signal to the brain (roughly),for 17 years I can not sit for longer than 20 mins ,stand for 25 mins,i walk no more that 2x 20mins a day,laying down I have very minimal pain so tv it is.my pain is the same as all them years ago and if I lift something I will be very bad for 2 days then back to the same pain I had 17 years ago,i need tramadol more than gabapentin and will increase the tramadol if needed when reducing the gabapentin.

I can only dream of work etc and still bore my wife with ideas of getting better but have been told the probability is very small but I'll take that atleast I'm alive with a good sense of humour.😀

• Posted

You know pregabalin is about the same as gabapentin so all the associated side effects and withdrawals will prob. be about the same.  I live in USA and the reason I am coming off of gabapentin and klonopin is that the side effects are so intolerable any more.  I have been on both for 4 years now......was getting terrible bouts of dizziness, balance problems, tremors, depression,  agressiveness, nervousness, irritability, some mania....well etc...etc...etc....... and the original diagnosis was for RLS. (now looking back on it....I don't think I have RLS, symptoms don't really match but my neurologist thought it did match!  Doctors opinions you know. So no I have come down to a very low dose (what is a low dose anyways, nobody really knows ? ) of 100 mg/ 2 times per day..........have been that low now for 6 weeks and plan to be off of it in maybe 1 or 2 more months...not taking any chances so going very very slow.  But I feel oh so much better...more alert, no depression (It was causing depression ? ), more energy, my feelings and emotions are coming back.....less, nervousness, less manic feelings.........but I am still not out of the woods yet....I'm still getting some withdrawal syndrome like nervousnesss, irritability, insomnia.....but they come and go less and less as the days and weeks go by...........so thats where I am now.....hope this helps...Jim B.

• Posted

Please dont tell me you are taking that much ?  Your Doc prescribed ? that is insane..........if you have not taken  it..........DON'T do it !  If you are.......it may be a long haul to withdraw .  Good Luck 

• Posted

Yes 4500mg I agree to much but 3600mg when needed is ok as it is a good drug and always ask the pain clinic when you want to reduce as your gp will always say reduce by 300mg daily for a week when your pain clinic will say 100mg daily for a week then reduce again which I am presently doing with no problem,with breaks in between reducing I have in 18 months gone from along with tramadol 400mg to 150mg Daily and 3600mg gabapentin daily to this week 1500mg gabapentin daily,gabapentin is quick to increase and slow to reduce.

That's just my way obviously you must find your own

• Posted

Gosh , there are so many it is impossible to list . But in general...the same as the side effects of being on the meds !  You brain will have been so used to being in your system that it is reacting to the down-dosing and you have all those unpleasant reactions...just do a search on any given drug and you will see what I mean.  
    • Posted

Morning Scott

I've now gone in the last 18mths from 3600mg to 1500mg gabapentin as I said before and tommorow starts another week of 100mg less daily and so on,the main withdrawal and its quite painful and very annoying is the what seems nerve pain in my arms ,my arms feel heavy,sore and just that painful crappy feeling but have read up online as magnesium helps with the withdrawals and as normal me being in Deutschland I will have pay delivery from the UK as that the best and cheapest believe it or not,oh and I'm. 54 and everyday for the past 3 years have taken Centrum for over 50s (they have for all ages) and since then i have had not one cold ,as you know it's hard enough dealing with an illness without some selfish bugger giving you a cold 😀

Enjoy your day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.