GABAPENTIN

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

so iv'e moved house which means new GP. This new GP doesn't think i have fibro on it's own so is doing ALL the tests iv'e already had again and she doesn't think i'm on the right meds either and want's to change them, i'm currently on amitriptyline & co-codamol for fibro and propranolol for anxiety. I shouldn't be on propranolol as i'm also asthmatic and to be honest the amitriptyline does nothing for me at all apart from give me heartburn and makes my internal trmors worse, has anyone any advice on gabapentin,is it any good for fibro, do you get any releif, and what are the most common side effects?. i know what the list say but there are always others that aren't listed. 

any advice please. 

Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gill

I have tried Gabapentin,it did not help with Pain at all ,also put on alot of weight,I have tried Pregabalin as well side effects were dizziness an very light headed,I am now on Amitriptyline an Ibruprofen these do help with pain an helps me sleep as well,i am on the highest dose of Amitriptyline 200mg,Maybe if you have a higher dose it may help you,i started on 25mg an like you was no help at all,My Gp has now told me that he is not willing to prescribe me any stronger Painkillers as i refuse to go to the Pain Clinic,i also suffer from Agoraphobia so i am now been punished for finding it to hard to leave house,so like you my pain in the afternoon is unbearable as this is when Amitriptyline wears off,so i cant wait for night time so i get relief,Everyone reacts differently to different painkillers so what was not good for me may do you the world of good,gentle hugs to you 

Sev x

• Posted

Hi Sev, Thanks for you're reply, it's the weight gain i'm wrried about as i had a horrid time with it on mirtazapine but i guess i will just have to wait till i see what the DR say's when i next see her..

• Posted

Snap! I came off mirtazapine 4 months ago. I'd been taking it for 5 years and had put on 5 stone. Since I have come off it I have lost just under 2 and a half stone. I'm currently taking sertraline which massively reduces my appetite, so i lost the weight without any effort. I started taking pregablin about 2 weeks ago and although it has increased my appetite a bit, I'm now eating as I should. On the sertraline alone I could barely stomach food and the insomnia was dreadful. I still suffer from insomnia but it isn't as extreme. It's really difficult to find the right balance of meds for you. One thing though, when I took cocodamol

• Posted

Sorry hit the wrong button.

Was just going to say when I took a 30mg cocodamol on top of the pregablin I had a terrible reaction. I couldn't keep my leg still for 3 days and all the muscles in my body were twitching and my calf muscles went into spasm. Never again!

• Posted

Hi Gill ~ Not a big believer in narcotics so far for FM. I found gabapentin quite helpful w/ FM & Migraines up to 2 months ago. Actually, none of my other med's aren't working either since then Climbing walls, begging GOD for relief. Been to ER @ hosp, Dr's office 2xs, MRI today & blood work taken again last Thursday. Don't know to turn to any more!!!! Once originally wrote on this forum & addressed myself as " FRUSTRATED"!! WELL, I'M BACK! All I can suggest is to ask GP side effects of gabapentin or other med's similar to it w/less side effects such as Lyrica (not affordable in State) Sending gentle hugs & lots of luck & best wishes, Keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi Full, I'm new to this forum as I was only formally diagnosed with fybromyalgia 3 weeks ago. I also think I may have Myofascial Pain Syndrome. I tried gabapentin about 2months ago but had to come off it after 5 weeks. The most debilitating side effects for me were complete loss of short term memory and constant drowsiness that I couldn't get the better of. Memory loss and struggling to put a sentence together are very common side effects. I work part time as a receptionist for a very busy animal charity so the side effects really impaired my ability to work. It quickly became clear that for me these side effects were more debilitating than the fybromyalgia symptoms, which is saying something. I went back to my doctor and told them I couldn't take this medication anymore. They reluctantly switched me over to Pregablin and the side effects for me are much milder. It also seems to help me sleep which is a bonus. Both of these anticonvulsants worked massively reduced my pain. It just depends which one your body can tolerate and if it's effective for you. I've had anxiety and severe depression since I was a child, after a massive trauma turned my life upside down. I currently take 150mg of sertraline which not only helps my mood but also helps me cope with pain better. Good luck

• Posted

I received it for sleep and it helps i take 600 mg. There is a new one now that last for 24 hours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.