Gabapentin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking gabapentin 300 mg a day and I am taking instaflex advanced. I am supposed to up the gabapentin on Wednesday. Now I am going to see how this works. I am also on sertraline and I want to know if I should stop taking it. My doctor thinks this is ok. I am 76years old. Anyone have an opinion on this would be helpful. Thank you char1940

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor knows best but you could always double check with the pharmacist. Its good for patients to have a discussion group site bearing in mind we all respond differently to medication and as you rightly say so check on the contraindications of other medication that may interact with your pharmacist. But qualified health staff should always be consulted. I hope that helps
  • Posted

The more meds you take char, the more side effects you will get. My 4 year experience with gaba. was horrible. I finally got off of it after a 4 month taping off. I am much happier now and feel so much better.  I also used to be on Paxil for 15 years ! Got off of that too about 5 years ago......the adverse effects from meds is a heavy price to pay for any percieved benefits in my expierence. Especially as we get older. My only advise is to stay off of them completely if possible....or take the lowest possible does if you have to take any thing.  good luck.
    • Posted

I was prescribed gaba. by my neurologist for RLS  or neuopathy. But it did not really help much.  The first couple of years seemed to be ok....but then the adverse effects began to take over the last two years....I just had to quit to  live a normal life again...... 

What are you taking it for ?

• Posted

I suffer from Anxiety..bad...and also have Essential Tremor in hand and head.  So my doctor thought it might help with both.  I seem to have the physical affects of anxiety.  Body tension, stiffness, can't keep leg still, etc.  So he thought I should try this.  Been on 400mg 3x day since Dec 28th.  Feel no difference except I'm so very tired.

• Posted

Feeling so very tired is one of the prominent side effect I believe. Do you think it is really helping you in the other ways ?  I'm just so glad to be free of it now.....in all aspects my life is so much better. I would rather endure the RLS or neuopathy than deal with the advese effects........so generally happy about it now..... 

• Posted

Do you mind my asking what the adverse effects were.  Did it do anything beneficial for you at all?
    • Posted

Anxiety, nervousness, depression, anger, hostility, impatience, fuzzy thinking, dizziness, weakness, nausia, headache, sore neck....just to name the most priminent ones.......more than enough for sure !!
    • Posted

also , balance and walking problems......
    • Posted

Definitely having balance problems already.  Wow, no wonder you were happy to get off this medication.
    • Posted

And I cant really think of any way in which it helped me at all , now  that I think back on it. 
    • Posted

Have to say...it does seem to make me feel calmer in a way. Don't think it helps too much with essential tremor, maybe a bit.  I'm going to give it a fair trial and then decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.