Gabapentin for anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dr. Just started me on Gabapentin. I'm taking it for anxiety.  I'm very sensitive to meds so he started me on 100 mg 3xday.  Depending on how I feel, he will up dosage in 2 wks.  Will I feel anything on this low dose?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen,

Yes, it helped me. I am very sensitive as well. I started feeling calmer almost immediately at 200 mg a day. I ramped up to 300 a day a felt much better. I only got into trouble last week. I take it for GAD and hypochondria. I have had a sore throat all summer, I went back to the ENT and she gave me a serious look and said she needed to biopsy it.  I freaked and went home and started popping the gabapentin like crazy for 2 days. Probably like 2400 mg a day. I was able to cope with the anxiety, but it was a bad idea. I swelled up like a balloon, face stomache and feet. . Biopsy was negative. It seeems to be post nasal drip and acid reflux. 

The Doc had told me this was one of the safest drugs out there, so I made a mistake and took advatage of it.

Good luck

• Posted

When you take the 300 mg daily....do you take it in divided doses or all at once? Thanks for responding.
    • Posted

I took one ot two in the morning and then 1 after lunch. Strangely, they kind of keep me awake. I am going back to that. I just hope the edema goes down soon!
    • Posted

Yup.  It's an anti-convulsant. You can't fool around with sudden increases or decreases.
    • Posted

I know, but I always shut down. I can not do that again and kkep my job. I will never take that much again though.
  • Posted

I was started exactly the same way, and experienced no ill effects.

• Posted

Are you still taking Gabapentin and if so what are you taking it for?  I have high anxiety and essential tremors so my doctor think it will help both. 
  • Posted

When taking Gabapentin for anxiety....what dosages are you all taking? At present I'm taking 400mg 2x daily.  My dr wants me to go up to 400mg 3x a day.  Is anyone else taking this dosage?

• Posted

Apparently LyricA IS LICENSED for anxiety but GAB is not....I'm very sensitive to drugs too so try to get along with herbs and no stimulants....Drugs do not help at low dose and I still end up with side effects.   Do think about the pros and cons.. good luck

• Posted

My doc put me on 100my once a day 3 weeks ago for neck pain and told me it would work for anxiety......I felt it working for the pain.

.but all of a sudden it wasnt..so she told me to up to 200mg a day and that's where I'm at now..but I'm constantly on edge with anxiety....aND my neck pain is still there....will it work??

• Posted

I've been on 400mg 3x day for 1 month and it hasn't helped with anxiety at all.  Also, I'm soooo tired all day.

• Posted

I feel sluggish, almost as if my legs are like jellow, on edge with anxiety? will this either go away or the meds not work?
    • Posted

That's how I feel....dopey and sluggish, heavy legs.  It's been 6wks since I first started meds and I think if the Gabapentin was going to work it would have done so by now.

• Posted

Have you asked your doctor? Yeah they say 4 weeks to feel full effect.
    • Posted

I wouldnt mind just feeling like that..but I feel jumpy...nervous..full of anxiety!
    • Posted

I do feel like that to some extent.  My friends say I'm quite chatty and excitable....but it's not in a good way to me.  Feel too excitable, too worked up.  It's like I'm tired but wired kind of a thing!

• Posted

I'm jumpy...nervous....not liking it cuz I feel worried..like somethings going to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.