Gabapentin for years?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm just starting Gabby and if it works for my RLS.  Potentially I could be on it for years. Have anyone here been on Gabapentin for years? If so how is it for you? Pros and cons, thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with it.....I took it for 3 weeks and it gave me all kinds of weird side effects
  • Posted

Been on it over a year 9x300mg hearing things seeing things mood swings crying lack of sweating weight gain blurry vision thoughts of killing myself good drug but see your doctor every month
  • Posted

I was on it for about 4 years or so, on a dose of 1800mg a day, split over 3 doses. I suffered memory problems and problems with language centre of my brain and cognitive function...I can be half way through a sentence talking to someone and I forget what I am talking about.....yes, it worked on the peripheral nerve pain at least for first few years it did help, and I was scared to come off it, but in the end I gradually dropped dose down and came off and I was getting increasingly worried about my memory problems etc...it still hasn't rectifed either, and no one can tell me if it will improve ....just be careful , i was 12 months into treatment when i noticed these side effects but was encouraged by drs at pain clinic to keep taking them
  • Posted

I have been on it for a couple of years for GI problems.  I am trying to wean off of it slowly.  Am at 900 mg (split 400, 100, 400) now.  I was on a higher dose. Every time I increased, felt a little "heady" for a few days.  Makes me feel tired and does affect my memory also.  Oddly enough, I have developed neuropathy in my feet that this is usually prescribed for! Most likely another cause.  
  • Posted

Hi nancy

Ive been on gabapentin for over 14 years from 3600mg to now 2400ng a day for damaged nerves in my legs ,the pain was unbearable in the beggin ing so in the first 3 years i tried amitriptyline and pregabalin but they didnt really work until i started gabapentin ,the first month or so is getting used to it with the feelings that come with it but i stuck with it and it changed my life ,i still have pain when i sit or do to much etc but laying on the sofa is fine,i did put on weight but not to much but now my weight is fine,your body kind of adapts,all in all i am ill for probably the rest of my life but can garantee i will always take my friend gabi.

Oh and its not the drug that the longer your on it tge more you take well not for me anyway.

Have a nice weekend

• Posted

I have gained weight on Gabapentin also.  Makes me feel like I need to eat all the time even when I am not hungry.  Go figure as I fight nausea daily.  I miss not being able to have a drink now and then.  
  • Posted

I've taken it for 9 months following knee replacement surgery, 3 x 300 mg daily.   It worked brilliantly for the pain of recovery but I decided to reduce the doesage on a gradual taper, it was then that I realised how much it was helping with arthritic pain in other joints so had a chat with my GP and decided that I could continue to take it as and when needed at a slightly lower dose, I've read lots of scare stories about it but it works for me, I hope it works for you too.   An added bonus is that when I take it at night I no longer wake up during the night in pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.