gabapentin side affects?

Posted , 57 users are following.

I am on gabapentin 300mg capsules 3 times a day for nerve pain that i have been suffering from for quite a few weeks now.

Since taking these capsules i cant believe how weird and spaced out i feel,i feel confused alot of the time and also like many other people - dont feel like im in my own body anymore. i cant even imagine going back to work yet as i wouldnt be able to get through a full day without wanting to go and lie down or feeling spaced out.

I dont know what to do as i just want the pain to go away. does anybody have any suggestions please?

5 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Zena,

Go and see your doctor as he/she should tell you what to do, I didn't like Gabapentine, as they did nothing for me, so changed medication.

Regards

SES

• Posted

I have been taking 300mg 3 times a day. The side affects I have been experiencing are idendentical to those you describe.

I am due to see my doctor next week as the pains in my head have not eased at all on this medication. I just feel spaced out most of the time!

• Posted

What kind of pains in your head are you having? I am also on 30mg 3 times a day for nerve pain in my head. I don't feel like meds are working. still in much pain.
  • Posted

Hi

have been on Gabapentin now for over a year my consultant gave it to me for my back problem and trapped scatic nerve, cant say i have even noticed any difference and i am trying to get my dr to take me off it just to see what it does or if it has been doing anything i take other pain control tablets as well and also just two weeks ago had injections in my back so slowly trying to cut medication down.

Margaret

• Posted

I took gabapentin for a total of 2 months for migraines and I also was totally spaced out and feeling strange.,,,,like not in my body. I tapered down (too quickly) in 15 days and have been still feeling the side effects six weeks later plus some very nasty withdrawal symptoms. Some say it can take months to subside. This medicine is very scary and I don't recomend it to anyone.
    • Posted

Hi,

I have been on Gabapentin on and off for about 7 months (since approx January). I was taking it for chronic pelvic pain, and it worked well, but it made me very emotional and made higher cognitive functions difficult. I got off it quickly, but kept it around in case of a severe pain flare up. 

I've used it a few times recently (in July, just a few weeks ago) and it has resulted in continual severe depression and dark thoughts even though I haven't taken any in two weeks. I took it occassionally because I thought the depression was predominantely from the chronic pain, but now I realize the gabapentin was the root of it. I'm terrified because I know the drug has long since left my system but I can't shake the side effects. Doctors and psychologists won't listen to me. They say I'm just depressed and it isn't the medication, but I'm positive it is. No matter how hard I distract myself and push through there's this cloud that impares my ability to emotionally and physical function (feelings of detachment, separation, depression, and some suicidal thoughts) Do the side effects ever go away... How long does it take and what can catalyze the healing process?  

• Posted

Hi,

I am researching the Gabapentin and in fact am learning that these medications were designed as a substitute to "lobotomy". they do lobotomize the patients in a long run. My doctor also suggested to treat me with Gabapentine because of my chronic pain, however I rather "feel" the pain, than become completely disconnected from my body feelings... body acts as 50% of our brain. it has its wisdom!

• Posted

To take any drug is a call only each individual can make. How bad is the pain? Do the side effects from medication outweigh the benefits? You could say that nearly all drugs that work on brain chemistry somewhat "lobotomize" the individual to some extent. This includes anti-convulsants (epilepsy and migraine is what gabapentin was designed for, not a "substitue to lobotomy"), anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

I take lexapro, amitriptyline (for 23 years), lyrica (pregabalin) and tramadol daily. All these drugs impair cognitive function to some degree. I have also taken gabapentin and cymbalta (duloxotine). I have experienced all the cognitive "spaced out" side effects to a greater or lesser extent that others speak of. You know what, the human body has a remarkable capacity to adapt over time given the chance when taken a directed (e.g. tapering up and down as advised).

Net side effects are a some cognitive impairment, fatigue, slowed reactions, weight gain and the memory of a flea. I also get the body jerks that some speak of, mainly when I'm tired. All these side effects reversed when I had to temporarily go off all medication temporarily.

Would I rather feel "spacey" or feel the sensation of steel rods ramming up and down inside my bones? Give me "spacey" any day. Would I rather have my emotions dulled slightly or be morbidly depressed to the point of suicide? I'll take take the dulled emotions thanks.

If you can cope with the chronic pain without medication, good for you. Personally, I can't go back to how miserable my life was before these medications. They literally saved my life and allow me to get some satisfaction out of life. They allow my kids to feel relaxed and happy to be around me. They allow me to work and function as a half normal human being. Simply put; I can get through the day now.

While the side effects of medication should always be carefully considered, I think it is wrong to scare away people that may benefit substantially from some of these medicines.

For those that may interested, pregabalin does seem to have less of a cognitive function impact compared to gabapentin. I can focus better on pregabalin as it seems to acts as more of a "slow release". Whereas, for me at least, gabapentin seemed to work more quickly in the short term. Pregabalin also makes you put on weight more quickly.

• Posted

Hi adam3355

Please listen to your doctor and psychologist. You are describing textbook clinical depression. Even if going on and off gabapentin was the trigger for depression (e.g. triggered some sort of seratonin imbalance), you still need to address this issue and restore normal funtioning of brain chemistry. These may involve taking anti-depressant medication for a time.

Please read the leaflet you get with any medication thoroughly. Anti-convulsants (i.e. Gabapentin) are not drugs you can go on and off suddenly. This is dangerous and can cause seizures. You need to taper any adjustments to dose. The same applies for most anti-depressant, anti-anxiety and mood stabilizers.

Please take care.

• Posted

Hi,i have been through,all those systems,and still do,i used to take  gabapentin, didnt suit me, changed to pregabalin,i have damaged nerve pain in face and now traveled to head,i have only been taking a low dose of amitripyline10g and 100 pregabalin,so didnt think it was medication,thought it might be damaged nerve in head, making my head feel,like its not working properly,i am so confused after 6 years,unbearable to live with,
    • Posted

You are the first person with a good response  to this medicine  i have been put on this for chronic  pelvic  pain  i was on 1 3 times a day but it didn't  hit my pain am ready to give up i have been put on 2 3 times a day and  scared of the  side  effects  but am with you . I wouldn't  rather  be spaced  out than suffer  this  pain . For a year i have been suffering  and after  several  tests  they can't  find the cause  so i think  it looked like am living with this for the rest of my life and am only 42 so ill try anything  . X
    • Posted

Hi, I just wanted to say that I just went thru all the trouble of making an account JUST to reply to you and let you know that you AREN'T crazy and its the crazy pills (neurontin) that you're taking.

My story is somewhat similar to yours. I started at 900mg 3x a day for some pretty bad unexplained neck pain. Tapered myself to 600mg 2x a day. Then just once a day. Then I quit. Well, then I had a flare up of pain and got back on a higher dose. Well, then the dark thoughts hit like mad.

Looking back, I have had tons of other weirs side effects that I am just now putting together all started around the time I started the neurontin.

Tooth sensitivity, forgetting words, hair loss, dry skin.

I have NEVER been a depressed person. I am a 34yr old woman, college educated (in biology, of all things), have a pretty stress free life, 2 beautiful kids, etc.

I KNOW FOR A FACT IT WAS THE NEURONTIN. I am now off it again for a full week. I threw the remainder of my pills away and I am in physical therapy (massage, exercise, heat/STEM treatments) and its managing my pain well.

Certainly not trying to tell someone how to live, but I definitely understand what you just described. Good luck..

• Posted

I will also add, in the beginning it helped me sleep really well, not that I've ever had trouble sleeping. But coming off of it, now I really do have trouble sleeping. I've been taking magnesium which seem to really help with the depression withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi Jane   I know some thimes when I go to the dr. they kook at me like I am crazy.  I am the one with the pain.  I have fibromelgia (nerve end pain  Its also in muscel and tendion ) I have been told.  As I understand there are 17 pressure points.  If it hurts on one of those spot that ,go to the opposite side same spot area and touch it if pain, you more likely have fibromelgia.  I have had it for 15 years.  This November it really flaired up on my arms, and no relief. I finally went to a accuputer and it really helped. I didn't mean to rattly on. I hope you get help soon.PAIN IS NO FUN
    • Posted

Hi Adam you might not pick this up as the post was a while back, but how long was it until you felt any better? I've been on gabapentin and I feel awful, very depressed, it's living hell. Like I'm dragging myself around everywhere, not enjoying anything. I am being weaned off from 900 to 300mg a day then but today I've had none because I want to feel better sooner :-(

• Posted

How bad would the pain be without the medication? I take 1800mg of Gabapentin and 299 mg of extended release Tramadol. I still have pain. So what would it be like without the meds. I am in a bit of a fog but manage ok. I record what I have done as I do forget. My appetite is normal and I have not put on any weight. As you say the decision whether to take meds is for the individual and reactions vary. I took one Temazepam last week and woke up thinking I was dying. My life is definitely better with what I have!
    • Posted

Hi Martin,i was on 3600mg gabapentin and 400 slow release tramadol daily for over 15 years for nerve damage in both legs ,i moved to germany and they put in a Medtronic spinal stimulator and with that slowly over the next 2 years I reduce to 1800mg gabapentin and 100mg tramadol daily,the spinal stim didn't work and must come out soon but because I thought it had it have me the courage and incentive to reduce which wasn't easy,i have lately tried again to reduce but found that what I'm on now is what I need,for bad days I take tramadol drops as one pump (squirt in my tongue) is only 12.5mg fast acting tramadol so that's fine and I take as many or as less as needed,because when you start on gabapentin the drs increase it rapidly you start to wonder over time "is this really the high dose I need or what ", but by then you've been on it for a while and its hard to reduce and we all want to reduce quickly as my wife will tell you ?? but try 100mg a day as in 600mg..600mg and then night time 500mg ,1st of every month (it helps to look forward to a date as a goal) change again, take 100mg off the lunchtime untill you feel happy and if not put the 100mg back on and start again another time,i found that tramadol is the hardest to reduce but actually the best drug for my pain as I lay down all day every day and sit,stand walk hurts.ask the Dr about maybe reducing the gabapentin slowly but having the tramadol drops as a back up (safety net),the key is time and people on high doses like us have time so do it slowly,regardless of how or what you do I wish you well .??

• Posted

Thanks Dave

i may be moving on to Targinact and was wondering about the switchover process

• Posted

I ran across your post from a couple of months ago when you said you had stopped taking the gabapentin.  If you don't mind, I'd be curious to know about your success in getting off of it permanently.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Robin. I see your post is an old one so this may not reach you.

I'm weaning myself off Gabapentin and am down from 1500mgs to 600mgs which I take morning and evening.

I am crying all the time and feel totally worthless.I was awake for 3 hors last night crying too. I'm also pre menopausal so am struggling to know if it's hormones , Gabapentin or both (sorry if u are a man to be mentioning that)

I am under the impression that you can't take Magnesium when on Gabapentin so would be interested to hear how it affected you. I have some but am not sure if I should take it or when in the day to take it. Would be helpful to hear any feedback . Thanks

• Posted

Hi Adam, Pregabalin causes an inflammatory response and thus we suffer general inflammation all over the body and a normal diet with sugar and carbohydrates keeps the body in this inflammatory state with all teh attendant pains and aches. I don't know whether the body can heal from this inflammation completely, i only know that dietary control is necessary. The inflammatory cells entered the healthy soft muscle tissue and caused cell death and all these dead cells cause pain and destruction in the body. I am now in my third week Lyrica free after 6 years of Lyrica 150 mg twice a day. Just know that your brain has no dependency on the drug, but your body's ability to use synapses for electrical firing has been destroyed and was replaced by inflammation that acts like making small fires in your body and burning cells for energy, if I can use this analogy. If you can heal yoru body's allergic response, you will be fine, if the inflammation continues to will remain allergic and will have to follow a dietary regime for ease and comfort. Doctors don't know how this drug works and loweing a dose incrementally keeps the allergy and inflammation on high and makes life hell. Thus getting off it requiries halving and stopping completely. Every time you take Gaba abd Lyrica, teh allergy inflammtion response is triggered and your body will remain sick. kind regards, Marilese Koch.

• Posted

I found the gabapentin caused me more pelvic pain!  
    • Posted

I don't recommend this medication either   I need to get off it cant sleep cant go out of house not comfortable in my house or anything else  HELP

• Posted

I need help getting off this horrible drug it make s me paranoid and I cant go outside or anything my heart feels like its going 1000 miles a minute and I have VERY HIGH ANXIETY AND CANT SLEEP  PLEASE HELP   I M SUPPOSED TO GO TO THE DOCTOR BUT I AM TO SCARED TO GO OUTOF HOUSE AND I AM SMOKING TWICE AS MUCH
    • Posted

SOMEBODY PLEASE WRITE TO ME
    • Posted

This meds are bad news . I ended up in the ER with a heart rate of 130 it hard to get off you have to slowly wing your self off.taking magnesium. Helps with the anxiety of it it a vitamin. But your dr should be able to help u wing off the side effects last a couple of months after though but taking the magnesuim helps the anxiety
    • Posted

I am not a Dr but maybe you should have them check your magnesium levels I. Got this from the internet. And. I take a magnesium tablets and it helps me with my anxiety your should discuss this with your Dr and have them help u with these side effects but never just stop taking it you have to wing off and your dr can tell you how to do that call and ask a nurse in the office if you cant speak to Dr or ask for a appointment asap. Studies have shown that magnesium deficiency may contribute to numerous mental health problems, including anxiety. Magnesium is a calming and relaxing mineral. It regulates the nervous system and may help you cope with stress so as to prevent anxiety, fear, nervousness, restlessness and irritability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.