Gabapentin SideEffects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - I usually post on the Trigeminal Neuralgia forum as I was diagnosed last July and MRI has shown a vascular compression of the nerve as it leaves the brain.  My question is, I was prescribled Carbamepazine originally and had an allergic reaction within 3 weeks so was put on Gabapentin. I'm taking 1600mg a day at present and can go up to 2700mg a day.  My memory seems to be suffering and I get various other side effects such as vertigo.  Recently though my finger tips have been swelling, turning red and painful to touch, the last few days my ankle has double in size and is also red, and I'm getting areas on the soles of my feet that are large marble sized and very painful to walk on.  I asked my pharmacist yesterday if these could be caused by Gabapentin and she said there is a possibility????  I'm going to hopefully to my doctor on Monday but I'm a bit worried.  Thanks for any advice!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joanna, I have been on carbamzapine a few years ago and suffered many side effects. I now take Gaberpentin, 3 x 300 mg. It's the only drug that as helped with my nerve pain. The side effects for me are an increase in weight. What suits one person doesn't always suit another. I suffer also with arthritis which this drug helps with. I would talk to your GP and see what they think. It does take a while for the drugs to work. You may be able to try something else, unfortunately these strong drugs have many side effects. 

Hope you find something that works for you.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

This medication give you a false sense of well being, be very carefult taking this, doctoer's are handing this out like it's penecillin and using for everything.  I suggest try natural herbs, exercise, pool, yoga, walking.  Please don't drink with this.
  • Posted

One thing to think about is this Gabapentin can severly dehydrate you. That can cause dizziness and retention of fluid. Be sure to drink at least half your weight in ounces per day while taking Gabapentin. So, if a person weighed 200 pounds, they would drink 100 ounces of water per day. Wishing you the best!
  • Posted

Hi - Thanks for your replies, I didn't know about the dehydration so that's interesting thankyou.  Unfortunately the pain cannot be controlled/subdued by any painkillers even morphine, so coming off them or herbal remedies are a definate no as the pain even on 1600mg a day gets through.  I'm seeing a Neurosurgeon soon as the Q E Hospital in Birmingham to discuss MVD or radiotherapy
  • Posted

I'm on 9x300mg have been for over a year now tiredness nightmares lack of sweating weight gain crying all the time good drug for me I do put up with the side effects
  • Posted

Hi Joanna. It sounds like you are having a bad reaction to the Gabapentin. If my memory serves me correctly, the side effects you listed are described in the documentation that comes with Gabapentin. Ideally it would be best to see your Doctor immediately and don't leave out any detail. 

All the best.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for replying.  I've got an appointment on Friday with the Doctor, I've also developed edema in my ankles which as you've stated and I've recently realised is a reaction!  I'd recently increased my Gabapentin by 100mg a day so I've now gone back down to the 1500mg a day I've been on for sometime without any problems.  I'd had a bad reaction to Carbamepazine which is the medicine of choice for what I have, which was why they put me on this drug (being the next best). Unforntunatelyas far as I'm aware there is no cure so not quite sure how many types of anti convulsants I'm going to get through in the next 30-40yrs! (if I have that long that is!).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.