Gabapentin withdrawal after short term use?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there,

I was prescribed gabapentin for a nerve issue. The goal was to start at 100mg and work up to 800mg by adding 100mg every 3 days or 4 days.

I started to feel badly at 300mg (slurring words, irritable, feeling violent), and then did one day of 400 mg and could take no more (feeling extraordinary irritated/borderline suicidal). This increase took place over about 16 days.

I cut back on the drug for a day or two (down to 100 mg), still felt no better, and then stopped.

That was a week ago, and I still feel horrible. Exhaustion, splitting headache, anxiety.

1) is it possible this drug caused permanent damage in the short time I was on it?

2) The effects of the drug were so awful, I couldn't bear to take another pill. Is it possible damage was done because I didn't wean slowly? Even after two weeks?

3) I have a message into my doctor, who has been very unhelpful through all this.

Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on a high does of Gabby for almost a year. Dr brought me off to fast and withdrawal is awful! Anxiety, nervousness, chest pain etc... It's been 7 weeks now and still having stomach issues but each day gets better.

You need to do a very slow taper on this drug.

Good Luck

• Posted

Did this medication and give you anxiety And depressionif so how long did it take to leave
    • Posted

Hi sandy I hope you feel better I’ve been on gabapentin for 90 days 300 mg 3 times a day I m depressed never was until I started this .
  • Posted

That might be too fast for you to taper off. I don't believe there is any damage done. After only a few days on this drug your brain adapts to working with an depending on it to function. A quick discontinuing does not give your brain enough time to adapt without it. The fastest taper would be 50% for a couple weeks, then 50% down again for a couple weeks, staying at that until you are off. You may need to go down much slower than that. The medication takes 6 days to completely leave your body. Then, your nervous system and your brain may take several weeks to get used to running without it. The withdrawals effects are bad with this drug for most people. The lower the dose you are on, the more biavailable it is in your body so you will feel the withdrawals even at lower doses. I was only on 100 mg for 6 months and could not get off it because of the withdrawals. My doctor put me on the liquid form and I'm currently tapering down by 10 mg every 3 weeks... currently down to 10 mg. I'm still having withdrawals, but I am able to live with it, although it's still not good at all. Unfortunately, the leaflet that comes with the medication tells doctors that this medication is safe and has no withdrawals. That is not true at all. The doctors don't know what to do because the information that comes from the manufacture makes it seem easy to get on or off. It has put me through hell, even at a low dose. I could not imagine trying to get off a high dose.  : \
    • Posted

I was on 3200 then dropped to 1600 for 5 days then 800 for 5 days then nothing. Just wonder how long it will take to be normal again. It's been 7 weeks
    • Posted

Oh my gosh Sandy! I hope you are back to normal soon! Who ever advised that taper should go on it themselves and taper off it like that. Sheeeeesh!  : \
    • Posted

Hi Sandy I think I spoke to you awhile ago.......I hope you found yourself a new dr.........that dr. that treated you should have their license removed....You should have never dropped down like that.........It could take weeks to months......If you are still feeling horrible even though you probably dont want to do it...you need to go back on it........not sure how many mg...they may want you to take 1000 and then wean down from there.......you did not give you brain time to get accustomed to not taking it........Please find a dr that knows what they are doing...so sorry for you
    • Posted

I have been off Gabby for 7 weeks. Only thing still bothering me is some stomach issues. Bloating, not a good appetite. Hoping this will pass soon. NO way am I going back on it now. Do not want to start over!! rolleyes
    • Posted

It's not been fun! It was my Rheumatoligist who took me down. My family Dr was upset over it. My Rheumatoligist words were " haven't heard of any withdrawal problems". Very scary. Take each day at a time. Just hoping my stomach straightens out!!

Thanks

• Posted

Dont know how he hasn't heard of withdrawal symptoms.......very odd......it may take months before your stomach is back to normal....try eating something small every 3 hours.......maybe that would help
  • Posted

Hi David...I have been on gaba for about 6 months now maybe even 7.......I started with 300 then after one month I went to 400....I am now tapered off to 100 a day...when I went to 100 every other day it was like WOW so I went to 100 a day and Im good...I think your doctor pushed up the dosage way to fast for you  and no you did not do damage ...some people can not take it...and yes you MUST be tapered off slowly....I went down 100 mg every 3 weeks....was doing pretty good until the end...I think April 21 we are going to try and go lower  ........and yes the medicine can give you those thoughts .....when that happens your doctor needs to start getting you off........you need to find another doctor....this is not a drug to fool around with.......and yes the side effects can be awful.......Remember once you are completely off side effects can last for weeks...Good Luck.....keep posting
    • Posted

Hi Rita I hope this message received you I have been on gabapentin for about three months I was severely burned but I’m doing great and healing good but I have anxiety and depression and I’m off now for four days just wondering how the meds did with you
  • Posted

Hi David, I'm sorry you're suffering. I was prescribed 900mg gabapentin last summer for sciatica. When I first started taking it it was 300mg to be increased over several weeks but after reading about the drug I decided to keep it at the 300mg level and try and manage the pain with other drugs.

Initially I had flu like symptoms which did go after a few days.

I have recently come off the 300mg( I took it at night to help me sleep)

I did it by reducing 100mg every two weeks until I finally stopped.

During that time I was anxious, in pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, slurring words. Not sleeping. I was adamant I was coming off them, I had tried before but couldn't bear the pain. As my body readjusted to not taking them the pain has eased. I still get a bit jittery. I've been off then for a fortnight now. I feel much better but I'm not sleeping well. I feel tired but can't sleep so get headaches.

Are you able to speak to another Dr?

Although the drug worked and did help me I am very relieved to be off it. I am hoping that the side effects disappear.

It sounds like you came off them very quickly. Speak to a pharmacist if not a Dr. They should be able to give you some advice. Good luck and I hope your symptoms ease soon.

• Posted

David this will.wear.off. I'm wild.for not weaning of drugs slowly but I always go back to normal. Give it another few weeks. Gabapentin are ridiculous for side effects but I promise this will pass as soon as it leaves your system.which takes a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.