Gabapentin withdrawal and palpitations

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi. I was put on Gabapentin for nerve pain (though it turns out I was just having nerve pain-like withdrawals from coming off Mirtazapine). I only took Gabapentin for a week - max 200mg - then stopped as it gave me terrible side effects. I have now had two weeks of terrible withdrawals - nausea and insomnia for 5-6 days but ongoing heart palpitations (especially in the afternoon and evening) and high dayime anxiety. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? The palpitations are worse at mealtimes and I've lost a lot of weight too. Anyone had a similar experience? Does it ease? I'm gutted to have such withdrawals after just a week of taking a low dose.

3 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gina. I just looked up Mirtazapine  medication on the internet... Drugs.com.  It certainly seems to have some of the more severe side effects I;ve seen  including heart palpatations and decreased blood  presure,  anxiety. Gabapentin doesn't list those kind of side effects. How long has it been since you stopped the Mirtazapine? I don't think I had those types of side effests when I cut bact on Gabapentine and have not taken the Mirts. Do you have a heart condition? By for now. "I"

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I don't have a heart condition and I stopped taking the Mirts 3 months ago - with the only lingering withdrawal being the nerve pain. I wasn't put on the the Mirts for anxiety but more because my husband became ill and later died. I've only had he high anxiety since stopping the Gabapentin (and it's listed as a common withdrawal on some sites). I've alos read that some people an have very extreme reactions to Gabapentin even at a very low dose for a short time - my side effects were certainly horrible. Just wondered whether anyone else expeienced the same?
    • Posted

Good Grief Girl.. you've surely been thru it !   Hope the nerve pain gets handled. It would be interesting to see who else had those withdrawal issues. Bless you. "I"

• Posted

I was on gabapentin for one week only, and took just 1500mg in total, I am now on my 10th day of the worst withdrawal ever, including sickness dizziness thumping headache to name but a few. Just wondered how you coped with your withdrawal, and how you are doing now? Sandra
    • Posted

Hi Gina

i am interested in your post as I too came off Mirtazapine and about 2 months after stopping I developed nerve pain in my lady parts. Has your nerve pain stopped? I was put on pregabalin for the nerve pain, which helped some what, but I am struggling with the weight gain side effect, so tonight I saw a GP who suggested switching to gabapentin, but I'm scared to in case it's worse!

id appreciate your reply!

jo x

• Posted

Sorry to hear this...

I am no doctor but you have to take Gabpentin over a number of weeks for it to take effect... it builds up...I take 300mgx3 a day...which does help my leg pain but if I miss one tablet the pain does get worse...

200mg doesn't sound strong enough to get side effects...

I did get terrible head sweats which have gone now...

I take Venlafaxine ( Venlalic )...150mg per day...only have to miss one and have terrible noises in my head hard to describe...

I sleep like a baby and have lost wieght...not sure where but I am a stone lighter...

If I didn't take any of my medication I would be in hospital or dead...I would be in so much pain and not able to function...living on my own doesn't help but I get there...

I hope there is answer out there for you...x

• Posted

Thank you Gina for your post! I have recently gone off of gabapentin and have experienced the exact same side effects. I only figured out today, because of your post, that it is much worse after meals. The heart palpitations are awful. I was taking between 400 - 600mg a day for 4 1/2 months. I went off cold turkey. I am on week two and still have all the side effects you described plus headaches. The heart Palps seem to ebb and flow but are worse in the evening as you described. I am hoping that the side effects eventually go away. Do you still have any side effects? I noticed your post is 3 months old and was hoping they are completely gone by now. Please let me know. These forums have gotten me through a couple of really bad days. Thank you!
  • Posted

I'm curious to know if/when your withdrawal symptoms stopped.  I have had nausea, loss of appetite, heart palpitations and anxiety, that has also caused chest pain, shortness of breath.  I have had 3 EKG's and 2 chest xrays as well as numerous other tests for heart troubles.  My heart is fine, and they diagnosed me with Panic Disorder.  I have never had issues like this until I stopped the Neurontin.  I even slowly titrated over 3 months, dropping 100mg per week.  Now that I'm completely finished, the symptoms are worse.

They are also worse during the afternoon and evening.  I'm hoping they subside soon.

• Posted

Hi ina16070 - I'm a week on from reducing Gabapentin and feel dreadful - I was taking 900 mg a day, reduced by 100 mg just over a week ago and daren't reduce any more until it levels out, then will try for another 100 mg reduction . . . what an awful drug.   It's recommended not to give it to people with a history of depression/anxiety, yet they did!  Really hope you're feeling better now.

• Posted

My son has a spinal cord injury and was prescribed this for his severe nerve pain. After surgery he remained taking it and got very dizzy and almost passed out. The doctor said it was from this medication and he no longer needs it. Luckily the surgery corrected all paralysis and nerve issues so he has minimal pain. So if pain is minimal I suggest asking doctor for a lower dose or just get off of it.
  • Posted

I forgot to say he started getting a funny feeling in his chest too after getting off of it and he is an elite athlete in tip top shape. The doctor said it will go away an it's on. It's the blood pressure causing it.
  • Posted

I will never take this medicine again. I consider it dangerous. Had very bad heart palpitations, dizziness, headache. I went off of it gradually, as instructed & feeling even worse than on it!!! Having low blood pressure & dizziness. 
  • Posted

I wish I had never started Gabapentin.  Only took it for 11 days, then the wee pines started.  Started gradually withdrawing on day 11, after going up to 300 x 3 times a day.  Cried for last four days.  I take antidepressants but I feel that the two meds were fighting each other.  Ivywalls
  • Posted

ii was taking Mirtazapine but been without past few months. Now taking Gabapentin which it's causing bad withdrawals..... heart palpitations, muscle weakness from neck shoulders && arms

• Posted

Hi there,   

I am having the exact same palpitations and insomnia conditions after withdrawing gabapentin and methylcobalamin tablets after using them for a week 1 tab. at night.

It's so hard and scary to sleep at night and I feel always sleepy in day time. 

Basically I had a shoulder sprain so doctor prescribed me this gabapentin tab.

Kindly do suggest some remedies/cure to avert/stop these side effects.

• Posted

it was scary for me too to sleep at night my foot was crushed at work and there pills caused me to be awake for one week so they prescribed me gabapentin to sleep but once i tapered off it at 300mg a day i didnt sleep for 3 weeks which then caused generalized anxiety disorder from no sleep for 3 weeks the way i got off gabapentin was to taper off gabapentin with 100mg capsules and ativan 1mg. i diet and excersize for one month before starting to taper off gabapentin and when i started i started with 200mg of gabapentin and 1mg of ativan at bed time every night for first week while dieting and excersizing all through the taper then day 7 i changed to 100mg gabapentin and .5mg of ativan at bed time every night all through week 2 then starting week 3 no gabapentin and .25mg of ativan each night at bedtime every night all through week 3 then starting week 4 every night at bed time .12mg ativan and no gabapentin every night at bed time all through week 4 then at end of week 4 no gabapentin and no ativan and i could sleep again with no pills but my sleep seemed like i wasnt sleeping for 2 months after stoping ativan but i was sleeping because one moment im going to bed and it was night time then 5 minutes later the sun was out so the fact that i didnt see the sun slowly rising through out the night told me i was sleeping but i would keep dieting and excersizing for at least 5 months more months after taking your last pill to heal the injury and the brain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.