Gabapentin withdrawals

Posted , 3 users are following.

I too have been taking Gabapentin for Femoral nerve damage for about 2 weeks...300mg/3times a day. I went out of town recently and skipped a couple doses by accident. When I realized it I took my next dose. For two days I experienced nausea, terrible anxiety attacks, and now my pain is worse. I go back to the dr this week...praying he can do something!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry!

I have been taking the same doseage for Sciatic leg pain after two Disc operations in the past 12 months.

I have also successfully come off this medication after my first operation(Oct.2014) by carefully reducing the dose by one tablet less every 5 days. The reduction must be very carefully managed to eliminate withdrawal symptoms - do go on your Doctor's advice though it is a very powerful drug acting on the brain receptors to pain.

I am again taking the prescribed 3 x 300mg Gabapentin but have no fears about coming off again following expert advice when I feel I can manage the pain.

You will get through this!!

• Posted

Dear Sharon, hi, sadly,these symptoms sound familiar. However I found that once I began taking Gab again after a few days tacking them again, they seemed to build back up in my system, and the horrid side effects stopped. Obviously, if you are wanting to stop taking them at any time altogether, I would strongly advise seeing your GP for a reduction program. Hope that helps, Jan
    • Posted

Hi Janet! I wasnt trying to stop taking them, sorry if what I typed was confusing, I skipped a couple of doses and after missing only 2 pills I had the withdrawal symptoms. I started them again and the symptoms went away. When I do stop them or if my Dr changes me to something else; I will definitely stop them according to his instructions! Thank you for your concern!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.