gabapetin for anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I was put on gabapetin for anxiety I'm taking 900mg 3xday and I feel nothing but tired and no energy at all!! I tapered off 600mg recently but feel the same has any one been on this for anxiety?any information will be helpful thanks cat196111

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow! 900mg 3x a day! And I thought I was a lot with 600mg every 3 hours. What does your neurologist say?
  • Posted

Gabapentin is a drug that stimulates the regeneration of nerves. It is in no way an anxiety med.. Your doctor is probably getting a kickback for prescibing it. Doctors usually do when they push gababentin, aka Neurontin. I would express extreme skepticism to your doctor about its efficiency in helping anxiety. I have ptsd, anxiety and shingles, and the only time gabapentin has been recommended is to encourage ravaged nerves to regenerate after a shingles outbreak..never in the context of anxiety. I take mild xanax and/or valium for ptsd, anxiety and depression. Don't be afraid to question. Ask Google questions about your illness and the meds that might help. Remember that shingles is a virus and we have no medicines to fight virus.

• Posted

Gabapetin for anxiety doesn't sound right to me either.

• Posted

I swear they will prescribe that drug for anything. The cost is outrageous, and even the short term effects aren't guaranteed. I have a much longer story of how I became involved with Gabapentin, it involves ALS patients being hustled to take it @$700 a month but ins pays for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.