Gabpentin stomach issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was taken off Gabpentin way to fast..went thru months of withdrawal that was horrid.

​Finnally starting to feel better now but ended up with stomach issues, Bloating, stomach aches off and one..has anyone else had these problems?  I am going to check with my Dr to see if maybe I have a Hiatal Hernia or something.

​Was put on this horrid drug for Osteo Arthritis pain which it did nothing but make me sleep.

​Thanks  Appreciate any help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have been on this drug for years following instructions as prescribed. Could you have irritable bowel symptoms? Any new stress or stress from what you are going through. I have no complaints about this drug. The only thing I find is that if I don't take it at the right times, the restless leg really acts up. I was put on it for osteoarthritis and RLS (which includes restless arms also). This drug keeps everything under control for me. Before you go through a lot of testing which you probably don't like, why don't you try keeping a food diary and a stress diary. Maybe you will be able to tract a pattern which will help your physician figure it out. Good luck 

• Posted

I have not hardly any stress. Diet is pretty much the same. I had no problems til I got off of it. I was on 3200 mgs. My Rheumatologist took me down to fast. Dropped to 1800 for 5 days then 800 for 5 days then nothing. Went thru months of withdrawal. Everything pretty much went back to normal except digestive issues which I had never had any problems with before Gabby..

Just want to feel good again. I go in for blood work & to see my family Dr in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the input.

• Posted

Hi Sandy-

You were so helpful to me when I was going through my Gaba withdrawal, with all its hideous stomach issues. I finally had to go on Valium to deal with the tail end of my withdrawal (am doing a long, slow micro taper). But I did finally get the stomach issues to resolve. I had to use probiotics, fermented foods, get off wheat and dairy, and basically eliminate all junky foods. But it did work. I know you have struggled with this for a long time: hope this advice helps.

• Posted

Did you have the bloating in upper abdomen? So uncomfortable.

Do probiotics help? I have tried Zantac, gas x. Nothing seems to help much.

Appreciate the help so happy your better. smile

• Posted

Thank you. I have tried the probiotics and eliminated all goodies. Feeling much better and losing weight too. Still have episodes but I also have malabsorption anemia so when the problems hit it is hard. Positive though and pain free. I walk a lot when I grave junk stuff. It helps!
    • Posted

Pam and I were just writing about this. With malabsorption anemia I have to watch what I eat. I gave up junk food and use probiotics. Pam gave up wheat and dairy foods. I walk a lot when cravings hit but the stomach is a lot better. 
    • Posted

Don't do Zantac. For a probiotic get a good Chlorella and take a few tabs. By fermented foods I mean genuinely fermented foods from the health food store. I had every abdominal symptom: upper stomach pain was bad, constipation was terrible, and I wa so nauseous I thought I would just die.

It took a long time to be 'better' - when I went from 100 to 0 I was in hell. Finally had to do a tiny dose of Valium - which I am tapering slowly - to be able to function at all. The taper is going well, and hopefully in a few months I will be totally drug free!!! And your stomach will recover: I cannot recommend the chlorella and the fermented foods enough

• Posted

I have never done probiotics?? Know nothing about them and up until I went off Gabby I never had stomach issues..I have no Dierrha (spell) or constipation..that end works well..lol..just the bloating and feeling uncomfortable that really bugs me..

Thanks..so much  <3

• Posted

You can google it. A lot of gabapentin receptors are in your stomach/intestines, and any bad balance of bacteria can make you sick in gaba withdrawal. Fermented foods are good, raw veggies and fruits are good. Healthy fats are good. Refined foods bad.

Have been thinking of you: tapering off Valium to deal with the Gaba withdrawal symptoms, and have gotten low enough with that to be experiencing nausea and anxiety again. It just takes a long long time to heal from this drug, and I believe the speed of your withdrawal, and my extended high use, are making it especially challenging for us. I am thinking of you; we WILL heal

• Posted

Boy just can not believe how nasty these drugs are..its horrible..I have not had any Gabby since last February and everything else got back to normal in my body but my stomach..achy sometimes, and bloated..

I go in for blood work the end of this month and then see my family doctor in March..I just pray she has an easy answer do not want to go to a gastroligist if I don't have to. Tired of doctors..

I haven't even taken any anti inflammotory's in over a year now..only try Advil etc...for pain..just don't want the nasty things in me..The only pill I have to take is blood pressure and I have that cut in half now.

How long has it been for you?  Good luck..

Thinking of you..keep me posted..biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.