gallbladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all, i had my gallbladder removed last november,the last few months i have been gettin really bad stomach cramps after i eat in the morning, its like i am away to have to run toilet but it doesnt come to that , does any1 know if this is havin gallbladder removed or something else like ibs? its really bad that i have to lie down and rub my tummy for a bit or take a pain killer and sometimes its really bad wind that comes, it only happens once ive had something to eat in morning or if i skip breakfast and have lunch any help would be great thank u xx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I can't tell you what it might be but if the pain is caused by muscle cramps you might get relief from Buscopan while you have it checked out by Dr.
    • Posted

thanks tom, yeh someone else suggested buscopan , ill give that a try and maybe a trip to doctors just to check it out thank u 
  • Posted

Hi tammi31 am confused are you getting diarrhea first thing in the morning or just cramps and the urge to go and nothing just wind? Diarrhea is a common side effect after gallbladder removal particularly when you eat fatty foods. In most people this settles down anywhere from 6 weeks to over a year post op. How is your appetite? Can you eat normally? Some people get labelled with ibs after gallbladder removal when in fact it's a side effect from the op. If your getting Diarrhea you could try caltrate calcium 600 d tablets or psyllium husk which soak up the bile and can also help with wind too. I would go to your doctor and get their opinion however doctors tend to brush off any connection with gallbladder removal when in fact it is a side effect of the op. Good luck x
    • Posted

hi ace , yeh its just bad stomach cramps like im away to have diarrhea but its just bad wind, my appetite is ok can eat better now i have my gallbladder out, only down fall is im not a breakfast person and can have my first food maybe lunch time and still get bad cramps, i was gonna make an appointment wif doctor just for a check up, someone else suggested buscopan so might give that a try, when i got my gallbladder out i never got any advice on what to eat etc, and think because im gettin cramps when i do eat breakfast im puttin that off and not eating till lunch time which really isnt good, i do get a lot of wind now my gallbladder out, thanks ace smile x
    • Posted

Hi tammi try and eat something light in the morning even just toast. I suspect the reason your getting cramps is because you haven't eaten and the bile is just dripping slowly into your bowel and causing it contract. Wind is a common side effect of the operation. You could try milk thistle. I'm taking it the last 6 weeks and find it great. A lot of people take it after gallbladder removal as it helps detox the liver which has a knock on effect on the digestive system. It's good you can eat ok. That's a good sign. I had mine out in December and it hadn't been a good experience however I did also have a large cyst on my ovary which I now think was causing a lot of my post op symptoms ie nausea and vomiting. My gp said it takes a year to fully recover for a lot of people but she hasn't seen anyone who hasn't recovered except one person who has chronic Diarrhea but is managing it with medication. You could try the buscopan and see does it help. X
    • Posted

hi ace, i managed to have a slice of toast this morning and no cramps, im gonna try and eat light meals for a bit and c how i get on, ill try milk thistle as well, thank u, im happy i got my gb out, best thing i ever did, was in pain for 4 years with it, so now im eating anythin and not gettin the pain i used to is great smile.... ill c how i get on the next few days with my cramps xx
    • Posted

Check out that milk thistle is ok with any prescription meds you are taking.  Like valerian and st J W, MT does have active substance.  
    • Posted

hi tom, im not on any meds , used to take omeprazole but dont need them anymore x
    • Posted

Thats great tammi. Unfortunately with no gallbladder the bile just keeps on slowly dripping into the bowel. My surgeon said to try to eat 6 small meals a day as opposed to 3 big ones. Sorry to hear you were suffering for so long. Did you have stones? I was only diagnosed in October and the pain started 2 weeks later and had op at start of December. Had 1 large stone that couldn't get out. I do regret the op but probably because I've been so sick since but I know that I would probably eventually had to have it done but wish I had of tried the alternative road first. Unfortunately I had a large ovarian cyst as well which didn't help but I'm a lot better since that partially ruptured and can eat most things. Hope you feel better soon. X
    • Posted

That's good tammi as recent studies have found a link between The use of ppi mess and heart attacks. Also other studies suggest these drugs can also cause gallbladder problems if taken long term. If you can do without them great. Milk thistle can interact with anti depressants, some hormone meds and cholesterol meds as far as I am aware. The milk thistle can make these less effective as its function is to detox and cleanse the liver and help it work more efficiently. X
    • Posted

hi ace, yeh when i got my GB removed and i was in recovery the surgeon said they found a large stone and lots of wee ones, i had to push for this to happen , i kept getting fobbed off wif indigestion, after numerous times to out of hours i begged for a scan, they found debris and sludge on GB so got refered to get it out, heard so many horrible stories and was so anxious, but i have been feeling great apart from the odd stomach cramps, im goin to start a new diet and eat proper meals to c if that will help, sorry u had a hard time with it, thank u and hope u are now on the mend smile xx
  • Posted

Tammi, it is flour that causes this. Gluten as we call it. Stop eating anything with flour in it. Your problems are over.
    • Posted

aww really karin? thats good to know, thank u so much, xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.