Gallbladder post op concerns.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Admitted to A & E in agonising pain early Bank Holiday Monday, ultrasound showed gallstones and consultant said gallbladder needed removing. (operation Tuesday) Wasn't aware I had gallstones prior to this, although I did suffer from feeling sickly regularly and felt as if I was always having to feed something (ate loads of dry crackers over last few years). Problem put down to reflux as I have a Hiatus hernia, I've also had some shoulder pain for a coupleof months but thought it was trapped nerve.  Now wondering if these were signs of gallbladder probs after reading this forum.

I know its early days and I have gas/wind and I'm still very sore and have bad back pain, but what I'm most worried about is that my stomach feels like a washing machine turning and its worse when I eat anything, I'm eating very small amounts and advoiding fats but this rumbling/turning feeling still remains.  Anyone had similar problem.  Also concerned that I was not given an information on diet and told I could eat as normal.  Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From what I've been told by doctors is it will take a while for your system to settle down. Wind is common for the first week or two and this is from the surgery as they have to inflate your stomach to make more room to remove the gallbladder. I've allowed for this, however I'm experiencing indigestion and trapped wind like before I had my gallbladder out and it seems to occur after anything I eat which is bland and low fat at the mo. Try and stick to soft foods if you can and avoid meat and veg for the first ever weeks and gradually introduce them back into your diet. I had a similar feeling in my stomach after surgery and it settled a few days later. I just assumed it other organs readjusting to having no gallbladder but it did go away
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, will stick to soft foods for a while and see if it helps. Appreciate you taking time out to answer.

• Posted

It's worth a try and maybe cut out diary to see if that may help also. No problem vino50 just remember your not alone in this.
  • Posted

I had terrible horrific pain with stones stuck in my bile duct. 

After removal follow dr diet and you will be glad it is out!

Dood luck and many healing blessings sent ur way!

• Posted

Hi hope4cure, thanks for replying, dr diet? do you mean doctors diet, if so I wasn't given any advice on diet, or is this the name of a diet that I can find online. At present cutting out diary product as much as I can and also cutting out fat.  Can't believe that they brought me mince & dumplings for my lunch day after the operation, fortunately I didn't feel like eating so just picked at a couple of the carrots..
    • Posted

Hi Vino,

My doctor has a phamplet printed up of do & don't as well as foods to avoid and foods Ok to eat after surgery. He explained that the gallbladder makes enzymes that break down fatty foods and other thick skinned foods. I'm surprised that your doctor didn't. Sometimes the doctor will write a script for enzymes tables to take a 1/2 before eating. They didn't help me at all so I had to watch what I ate. Now I can eat most eveything except for for fatty greasy foods. It gets me every time. I still enjoy my fries and other fried foods at home cooked in coconut oil, palm oil or avocado oil. These oils are not as difficult to digest. 

Hope you are doing better and take it slow !

Hang in there, don't give up! 

• Posted

Hi, I am now on day 11 after my GB removal op.  When they gvie you an anthestetic it paralises your bowel  for a while and it takes time to kick start back in. A lot of the gurgling that you are experience is your digestive system restarting to work so its not a bad thing necessarily smile. I had the same sort of thing the first few days. I got the gas pains too for about 4 days but then eased off. I am finding everyday I am improving. I am eating soft things too although i do find having anything acidic  for eg I had marmalade a little irritating for now . The first few days I can hardly eat very much but the pain was gone smile I am gradually finding I can eat a little more but I did find  around day 4/5 that  I got nausea as soon as i felt hungry and also after eating but  after a couple of days this went. I am now doing very well. I think it is imortant to keep to soft  and easily digestable things. I have had a little chicken and that seemed fine but i just make sure i have plenty of low fat sauces with it so its more sloppy smile

Everything  you have said sounds normal to me considering you have had major surgery. You mentioned your back. I had really bad back ache and spasms for the first 4 days but  then it went . I think they man handle  you a fair bit in theatre and plus laying on a hard table for a couple of hours wouldnt help so hopefully this will settle as mine did.  I was told just to eat normally  but given so ideas but I think just use your common sense and keep to low fat and soft things for the first couple of weeks at least and then start to reintroduce things gradually in  and give your digestive system time to adjust. Ive found a boiled egg and toast is nice and easy to manage.

I wish you all the best .

• Posted

Many thanks jane3315

its reassuring to know that others have gotten over the worst in a couple of weeks, just hope I do too.  Kind regards.

• Posted

Vino50,

I am currently 7 weeks post op. The first 3 weeks were pretty tough.

Makesure to eat light foods. Mainly soups, etc..Other foods to eat that will help are brown rice and breads. Your bowel movements will take some time to get back to normal. So these types of foods will help your bowel movements not be so loose.

Hpoe you better. Rememeber to take it easy. rest.

• Posted

Hi jha0024

Thanks for taking time to post,  I'm managing ok and things are starting to get a bit better, have always eaten brown seeded/grains bread so no problem with that, lots of home made soups etc, but eating small portions. Did have half of a slice of Sainsburys carrot cake with a weak coffee when my sister was over, but I paid for it, stomach churning etc so that off the menu for the foreseeable future, I should have known it was way to early to try having cake. Pleased to hear you are getting better and nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.   Take care,kind regards,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.