Gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed almost a week ago but I only have had 2 BOWEL MOVEMENTS CAN SOMONE HELP.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out on the 15th and i have only had one bowel movement so not alit of help from me sorry
  • Posted

Hi I also had my gallbladder out a week tomorrow Friday, I've been real lucky , eating,drinking, going to toilet as normal, but it's also a lot to do with what your eating? Plenty of fresh fruit & not many painkillers only when needed. Good luck ! X

• Posted

I also had mine removed a week ago and have had the same problem.  I have heard about the diarrhoea and flatulence but had none of it, wish I did!  I was told that one of the painkillers they gave me - a codiene type - would make me constipated, so tried not to take them, just took the paracetomol and ibuprofen.  Then when the general anaesthetic wore off the next day I gave in as the pain was horrible.  However, I have since only had 2 more and still been constipated, feeling full and pressure from the inside of your belly is not pleasant as we know.  I have been eating light, soup and cereal although they told me I could eat normally straight away I have been taking it easy as I think this is best.   I was also told that a hernia is possible where the belly button wound is as it is open and so any straining on the loo is out of the question.  Anyway, what I did was eat a big dish of grapes (no prunes in Tescos) and had one dulcolax pill in the evening - that was two nights ago and I am pretty much normal now, you should also drink plenty of water.  Why did no-one mention constipation?  It seems a lot of us suffer from it.
  • Posted

What have you been eating? Like they said, if you are taking it easy you just might not have enough food in your system to make a bowel movement happen. I didn't have a movement for 2.5 days after surgery and then it was diarrhea. I didn't take any of the pain killers though, just Advil. The pain killers will constipate you and you should be able to be off of them this far after surgery. You can take a stool softener (NOT a laxative) to help get things moving again. Like people have said, lots of water and slowly add some fiber to your diet.

• Posted

I had too stop taking pain meds too be able too go too the bathroom just took over the counter pain relievers.
  • Posted

I had too stop taking pain meds too be able too go too the bathroom just took over the counter pain relievers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.