Gallbladder removed lapro 6 days ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

I didn't get the dreaded gas pains or pains around my surgery site - only took 1 pain pill following surgery (went home the same day).  I immediately started eating small meals and feeling pretty well.  However I didn't have a BM for about 5 days so I took a little Milk of Magnesia which brought on a round of diareahha.  Yesterday I felt ok but this morning as soon as I ate breakfast I felt deathly nauseated - and began cramping severly in my stomach and (I guess intestines). The cramping didn't seem to be associated with the surgery area.  Does all of this sound normal? Is it going to take my digestion a while to get on track?  I'm very discouraged and feel very weepy these days because I fear that I'm going to be sick forever (was sick for months before they finally figured out it was my gallbladder).  I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow (desk job) and am now stressing, afraid the nausea and cramping will hit me at work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am like this if I eat anything with high fat, Ie cooked breakfast, chips etc and I had my gall bladder removed nearly 3 years ago, make a note of what you eat and if problem occurs change food intake, I love a cooked breakfast on holidays (don't do them at home) so what I do I take a mild diarea pill an hour before and I'm fine with that and don't feel nausea at all, you will be fine

• Posted

Thank you for replying - just knowing I'm not alone is so helpful.  I only had turkey bacon and a biscuit so I didn't think it would hurt me.  It feels like there's a lump on my left side where my colon turns to go down - like if I could have a good BM it would help things. I'm hoping things are just not "normal" yet but will soon get that way - does that sound reasonable?

• Posted

Yes it's normal, I'm sure it will all settle down in few weeks, it's a lot better than all the pains before the op.

• Posted

Thanks again. As you can tell my anxiety level is not helping the situation.  I was sick for almost a year before anyone figured out it was my gallbladder and I just want to feel well again. It's difficult as I'm sure you and others on here know.

• Posted

Hi Lynn. Hope you feeling better. I had my gallbladder out Friday (three days ago) and I woke up today and felt nausus. Nausea was my main symptom for months before I had it removed. I'm wondering if it is cause I'm constipated. I only took pain meds in my IV on Friday. No pain pills. I know my abdomen is full of gas also. I don't want this nausea. Please let me know if you found out if this is normal.

• Posted

Hi Cathy

Yes it's quite normal and should settle down after few weeks, they pump you up with gas to get gall bladder out, I was just the same

• Posted

Lynn, thanks for the reply. Did you have nausea also? I just can't stand this nausea.

• Posted

Nausea was also one of my main symptoms before the surgery.  On day 2 I woke up fine and thought "wow - this is going to be a piece of cake" then day 3 I woke up with extreme nausea (could only lie perfectly still and pray that it subsided).  I felt bad the rest of day 3.  The next few days -no nausea but still not my old self. I'm not having very frequent BMs so that worries me as this was also a problem before the surgery.  This morning is day 6 and I didn't wake up with the nausea but had it immediately upon eating breakfast.  This time I had severe stomach cramps as well so I feel like it's something to do with the consitipation.  I'm just hoping everything levels off soon,

• Posted

Your story is similar to mine. This is day 3. Day 2 I ate more than I ever ate before surgery. Applesauce yogurt, banana, soup and crackers. I felt good. Today is scary bad. It's like I'm flash backing to how I felt before. I have severe anxiety over this. I can't stop thinking and wondering if I'm gonna be nausus every day. I did read, though, that constipation could cause nausea. Maybe we will feel better when we are more regular. What do ya think?

• Posted

Yes I did, I had nausea for the first couple of weeks then it settled down
    • Posted

Thanks, Lynn. I need to think positive. Hearing from you has given me much confidence. Thank you.
    • Posted

That's what I'm hoping. Yes, it does feed the anxiety. I too am afraid I am always going to be like this.  I HATE being nauseous - I don't deal with it well.

• Posted

I'm pretty sure my husband is getting sick of me being sick. I've had this since June. Nausea is so debilitating. Let's start thinking positive. My husband always tells me to eat. But when you are nausus you can't eat. Sitting in the basement binge watching orange is the new black. Don't even know what to do with myself.

• Posted

I feel the same way - like my family is so tired of me being sick and missing out on events.  
    • Posted

I've not had a bm yet and I am post op day 6 now and I don't feel like I need anything either,I am eating a lot of cereal so I'm getting a lot of fibre etc but I haven't really tried fatty foods yet I'm just gradually building up, but I got a bit nausea tonight when in the shower and then I took my paper stitches off also and due to me feeling nausea and one of my wounds started bleeding I ended up putting the spare dressing on them as I couldn't bare to look at the wounds while feeling sick :-/

I hope uz are both feeling alot better now... I've swore I won't go for another op lol

• Posted

Oh, I don't want another surgery either. That was scary bad. Makes you feel like you got hit by a truck. I had my gallbladder out Friday. I was in so much constipation pain yesterday I really thought I was gonna give birth. I had taken two stool softners the day before. I hadn't gone in 5 days. I called and they told me to drink prune juice and walk around. I walked around the house, sweating from pain and finally.........once the clog came out (and there was blood cause it was so hard) I had diarrhea. I don't mind the diarrhea as of now. Constipation was the worst. I wasn't even taking pain pills, just the meds they put in my IV on Friday. I'm still staying in the house wondering when I will be better. When outside in the sun and read a book which made me feel better. Hope you feel better soon! Many people on this site say it just takes time. 2-3 weeks. We can do this! 💜

• Posted

Hi Cathy

Thanks for ur reply, yeah I think I might give the docs a fone to see if I can get the sachets that they used to give me when I had sluggish bowels as I don't fancy getting constipation while still healing, since taking off the paper stitches that where covering the wounds, the wounds are a bit more sore but doesn't help that I possibly have a post op chest infection, so felt like the paper stitches where supporting the wounds more when coughing and having to blow my nose. I still need to take off the dressing I put on last night since they started bleeding after taking my paper stitches off.. hope u r recovering well, u seem to be doing well since u don't need pain relief which is fab news as I still need to take tablets but not as many now..

• Posted

Hi back2heath!

The constipation pain I had the other day was actually worse than the pain I had after I woke up from surgery. I'm gonna continue to take stool softners and a glass of prune juice (small) every other day. I also think I still have trapped air in there still. Maybe you could also go back to the surgeons office and get a paper stitch put back on. I feel horrible for you too because of your cough. I sneezed a few times and I started crying in pain. For now on I hold a pillow again my stomach when I sneeze. I may be getting a cold also cause my son has a real bad one. I hope you can stay home from work and heal today. Get better soon! 🙏 💜

• Posted

Hey Cathy cat

Thankfully I haven't had to sneeze yet, the coughing is enough for me and constant blowing the nose :-(

Ohh I hope ur not catching what ur son has got and hopefully he is on the mend soon.

The surgeon signed me off work for 2 and a half weeks which was good of him, I've been of work for about 7 weeks now as I was in a lot of pain with my gallbladder prior to the op and I wasn't eating and was loosing to much weight so doc wanted me off till my op... I even had the joys of being threatened to b sacked and all sorts :-(

Hope ur taking it easy today

• Posted

Hi back2health!

Are you feeling a little better? Each day I think I'm getting a tiny better. So tiny that I barely notice. I was sick with nausea all summer before I had my gallbladder out. Lost almost 25 pounds. Feel like I'm living in a shelter. I'm so anxious to get better. Im almost finished watching the show Orange is the New Black and have read about 20 books. Hopefully gonna get some sun today. Try to feel better today! Hang in there!

• Posted

The nausea feeling has worn off now,stupid me thought I would get up and about and try tidy up some of my flat ( not a bright idea ). And lifted something wasn't heavy but it hurt the incision at my belly button :-( so now feeling tender which isn't fun and I still need to nip out to pick up a birthday card which I will do when my partner finishes as I'm not allowed out the house without her lol.. I know the feeling I have been watching little peple big world had about 5 pages worth reordered and now left with one page haha, hope ur doing ok this afternoon

• Posted

I like Little People Big World. Watched all the Big Fat American Gypsy also. I still feel waves of nausea which I don't like at all. Scares me thinking it's all coming back. Gonna try and be positive. Feel better today!

• Posted

Hi cathycat

Hope u are getting more back to normal each day, I've not been on the last few days as I've been in a little bit of pain and had terrible toothache,so had to get sedated yesterday to get the tooth out, been feeling a bit tired the last few days and a bit sore today again .

• Posted

Hi back2health!

Take it easy today. I bet you will feel better this evening. When you don't feel good I know you can feel all the other pains in your body. I'm trying to keep my mind busy so I don't think about this feeling yucky. Day 7 for me after surgery. Sometimes I feel like a basket case and feel I'm losing my mind. I was sick 4 months before and now recovering from surgery. I'm not a good patient and I want to feel good. I miss eating real food and laughing and doing things. I feel like a hermit. Im still eating bland foods and wonder if you have any ideas for feel good foods. I feel I have no energy and want to sit or lay. Is that how you feel? I feel a tiny bit nausus at times but not sure if that's cause I haven't been eating much. Any ideas to feel better quick? Did you doctor let you know if this just takes some time? Feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.