Gallbladder surgery day by day

Posted , 12 users are following.

I wanted to let some people on here know that today is my third day after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery it was done on Oct 18 2016 and today is Oct 21. Everything feels pretty good. I feel way better today, was able to get good sleep. I take Norcos and I sleep on my back with some pillows behind me. Okay, going back to the beginning, I was about 7 months prego and I found out i had multiple Gallstone after having a ultra sound done because I had gone to the hospital for feeling the most devastating pain I had ever felt. I thought I was going into labor, the funny part is that as soon as I got to the hospital and they laid me down on the bed the pain Disappeared! I was like wtf just happened? Anyways, a few weeks later, I had an ultrasound to see what that pain was because my doctor said it might be Gallstones and sure enough, it was. So, back to what i was saying. Lol! The reason why im even on here is because I have read nothing but bad things about having your gallbladder removed, that's actually one of the reasons I took so long to have mine removed. But to tell you the truth so far so good! The first two days i was in pain, but it was tolerable. I had a lot of water because I was very thirsty. I also had chicken soup. I have read that people feel a little nauseous after the Surgery, but not me. I actually felt hungry I wanted to eat a lot but I was scared I didn't know how my stomach would react being that my stomach was probably still in shock after just having surgery so I just ate a little bit. The soup did have pieces of chicken and vegetables I ate those too. Afterwards, I started to feel like I had to burp so I would pat my own back and I would burp sounds Weird but believe me it helps . It hurt but as soon as I burped i felt a relief in my stomach. You will feel bloated the first couple of days.But like I said today is my third day and my stomach is not bloated any more. I'm actually sitting down right now and I have absolutely no pain. I only feel pain if I get up fast so I try not to. I take my time, and I have absolutely no pain, I feel good I actually had some ice cream today just a little bit just to give it a try I wanted to see if it would give me diarrhea due to the fact that i haven't pooped in 3 days. I had a little coffee too. I had it the 1st and the 2nd day, it didn't bother My stomach at all, but today after having some coffee, chicken soup and a little bit of ice cream I felt My stomach grumbling. So I went to the restroom and I pooped a little bit. It didn't hurt or nothing it wasn't hard it was in soft it was just normal. Also, as of today I stop taking the pain meds. I will keep everyone updated on what I eat and how I feel. If you have any questions feel free to ask anything.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Congrats ! You've made it past the yucky part and on your way to recovering smile I know each of us has a unique 'journey' but it's always nice to hear from someone who feels relief and hopeful. Take things slooow. I was amazed at how weak I was at first sad  Hope you continue to improve. Eating smaller, frequent meals helps me. Less fried stuff, too. Best wishes~

• Posted

Amazing isn't it? Well it was for me also. I still can't get used to being able to eat what I like. I don't appear to have any side effects at all. My surgery was done in may and it's changed my life. I wish you a full and speedy recovery :-)

• Posted

Thank you Lisa! Yes I still can't believe I can eat whatever i want. I still get scared sometimes lol! I feel great and im very happy i did it i actually wish i would have done it sooner. Well hope you had a fun Halloween. I had some pizza tonight and let me tell you that it felt good to not have to be scared about having a attack 😀

• Posted

Thanks Grace, I haven't had my gallbladder out but it looks like I might when I have the HIDA scan so its good to hear a more upbeat tale. I've read all the pros and cons and obviously these sites you get to hear the cons so thank you for letting us know. I hope your progress continues and please keep us updated as I would like to hear what its like further into your recovery. take care and don't do too much too early. 

• Posted

Thrilled and happy for you that you went ahead with the surgery.  All good wishes for continued good health!
  • Posted

This is great to hear after all the negative stories. Happy for you! I'm having the surgery this Friday. This is my first time having surgery. I have some questions. Did you take pain pills the first two days every so many hours or did you take them when you felt you needed it? After the surgery what did you wear home? Is it easier to wear a button down shirt than something over your head lifting your arms? Did you have to sleep propped up a bit to feel comfortable? Sorry for all the questions. THAnks.

• Posted

Sorry for Taking so long to reply. By Now you probably had your surgery. I really hope everything went well for you I did take my medicine every time I had pain mostly at night time after the third day I would only take it at night since I am breastfeeding my four month old. Today had my two week check up with the doctor he said everything looks great my scars are healing pretty well. I went out trick or treating today and after I got home I ordered some pizza and I must say it was delicious lol!
  • Posted

Thanks, Grace!

Soumds like you did very well!  Please continue to let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hello everyone today is October the 31st Halloween. Sorry I took so long to get back on here I was surprised to see so many people actually reading what I had wrote. Today I went for My 2 week check up with My surgeon and he said that everything looks great My scars are healing pretty well I no longer take pain medication the only thing is that I am a little constipated so he gave me a few laxatives And told me that I should eat more fiber And drink lots of water. Other than that, everything seems pretty well. I was finally able to sleep on My right side because all the other nights I would sleep on My back I haven't been able to sleep on My left side yet it still feels a little weird. I have a tiny bit of pain under My right rib cage where my gallbladder was pulled out I think that was the biggest cut But I think that it's because it's still healing there's no pain inside My stomach where the gallbladder used to be it's just like on the top part where the cut is healing. I thank God everyday that everything went well and I feel pretty lucky. I'm so happy I was brave enough to get the surgery done. I have no regrets! It feels great to be able to eat and not be scared about getting that Horrible pain anymore. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me and I will be back on here tomorrow thank you.

• Posted

Today is my 3rd day after and I feel so weak and having some pain in my left side as well a lot of gas but no stool yet
  • Posted

Hi there, I am on day 4 since removal of my gallbladder. 1st might was the hardest dealing with heartburn and unable to sleep. Today is amazing I feel like I have a whole new lease on life..I have energy and no heartburn what so ever. I have sore ribs on the right but other than that I feel less toxic and like I am no longer ill..I'm pretty sure this is the best thing I have ever done.

• Posted

Wow Thanks for sharing ....my Daughter-in Law  Did the appendix when she was pregnant and had a heck of a time with the gas pains from the laparoscopic surgery sad

I am on Day 3 and thought the pain had subsided enough to get my shower and make a trip to the store for printer ink. Not sad  I ate chicken broth, tea and crackers for 2 days So was doing everything right or at least I thought I was .....

It put me right back in severe pain and it hurts when I breath I have pain in the area where the gall bladder was and up through my chest. The only relief is to get back on the recliner. sad  

I am not sure why the feeling better and then not ....but am calling the doctor tomorrow because my instructions say I should be able to get up and move around and actually should feel better when I do....which is not the case and is worrying me sad

I also did the milk of magnesia to Help since it had been 48 hours and did pure bathroom water last night but it worked smile

It is not as pleasant as the they make it out to be and I had been sick with stones and sludge for over 5 years before they did a sonogram finally smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.