gallstones

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had stomach cramps for a week at the beginning of December. I thought it would just settle down so did not do anything about it. Then I woke up one morning and it was really bad. A GP came to see me and said she thought it might be gallstones. So I went to the hospital and was given various tests. They said I had a urine infection gave me some antibiotics and discharged me. I thought that was the end of that. Then a couple of days later I had a letter asking me to make an appointment for an ultrasound scan. I went the next week and the result showed I had gallstones. Another GP thought it was either gallstones or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

There is now 6 - 9 month waiting list to have my gallbladder removed and I still have bad stomach cramps and pain in my right side on and off.

I am taking buscopan which are bowel muscle relaxant tablets as and when I need them and i think they really help. I am also on a lo fat diet. Although a GP has said I can go back to eating what I like after I have had my gallbladder removed I now realize that I was eating quite a lot of junk food and would certainly not want to go back to it. This has been a wake up call. LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear you have gallstones.Removal of gallbladder lastSeptember, such relief for my self. But still keep on dairy free diet. Still get discomfort, stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea. It is not so bad as it was. For some plain sailing. But any op you need time to recovery needs time to get back to normal. If you suffering attack thendo not suffer, ring for an ambulance. Also if suffering lots of discomfort. inform GP. Wish you luck.

• Posted

Thank you Janet it is so nice to feel supported. Had another attack of stomach cramps today after eating jacket potatoe (with no butter or spread) baked beans and a bit of salad. I cannot work out what starts it off and feel it is a real battle at the moment.

I like to commit myself to things which I cannot do at the moment as I do not know how i will be from one moment to the next. Finding that very difficult.

My GP knows I am suffering and has written to the hospital to try and speed surgery up.

We have a system here called Shropdoc which is available out of hours. You can talk to a doctor on the phoen and if necessary they will come to you. I have used that a few times lately

• Posted

Ok baked beans are notoriously known for making one have wind, hence bloating and well be the source of your attack. Also tomato is acidy so leave it out. No spices no acid no fizzy drinks. It's hard but need to. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.