gallstones

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive been diagnosed with gallstones im awaiting an MRI scan as they think 1 or more has come out of the gallbladder should i refrain from lifting things hope somone can help thank you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Personally I would refrain from doing anything that will strain the musculature of the abdomen. I don't know for certain if doing so would cause the gallstone to travel, but it seems a very sensible precaution to take. I would also take buscopan regularly as this acts on the sympathetic nervous system and can stop spasms in the abdomen and gall bladder. Spasms in those areas could cause the gallstone to travel.

I hope you get your MRI soon, a diagnosis is made and relevant treatment started or action/intervention taken. If a gallstone gets into the pancreas it can present a pretty serious probelm.

• Posted

thank you for replying to me yes ive been given buscupan as well as other pain killers to take
    • Posted

I have gallstones too, and I'd be interested to know what the other pain killers are that you've been prescribed.
    • Posted

ive been given paracetamol co-codamol & tramadol but i try not to take the tramadol unless really need to
    • Posted

I would also say stick to a very low fat diet. As low as you can and less than 3% fat. It's hard but it really does help.
    • Posted

thank you yes ive been trying to read up on everything on what to eat and what not to eat
  • Posted

Really sorry to hear this Andrea, would you mind me asking what symptoms you had before? I have pain in top right abdomen and bottom of right ribs also belching heartburn liver function test normal being sent for ultra sound as they suse to gallstones I had a baby 6 months ago! I'm absolutely worried sick as Internet f

just comes up with liver pain? I do not have this all the time it comes and goes xxx

• Posted

sorry to hear but congratulations on you baby x mine started as though i had indigestion i had really bad pain inbetween my breasts under the right breast and through to my back
    • Posted

Gallstone pain does come and go. An attack is where a stone gets pushed to the neck of the gallbladder either blocking the flow of bile or irritating the gallbladder. The attacks themselves normally happen in the evening or overnight and can be caused by eating fatty food. The attacks feel a bit like a stitch and a tightening across the middle of your stomach, under your ribs and round your back. I found that it did not take overly fatty foods to trigger an attack so for a while I was a bit confused. That was until I was in hospital with cholecystitis. They explained I needed to go on a less than 3% fat diet. This means even eggs are too high in fat at around 9% and no fat is good fat so even olive oil is out. Also the attacks can come on very suddenly and then just stop suddenly. I had low level irritation that felt like tight waist bands were trapping wind or something, also bras were uncomfortable to wear. It can be different for everyone but I think my symptoms were fairly "classic gallstone". Hope that helps
    • Posted

Thanks so much for reply it did start as heartburn lots of burping sorry for that !! Then pain started in right side but doesn't happen after everything I eat it's weird ! Also sometimes I get what feels like heartburn on the right side if that sounds right? Also it feels sore under my right breast on the bone so I undo my bra sorry for tmi again! This comes and goes maybe weeks or days ! Got an ultrasound Saturday I'm just worried keep diagnosing myself with liver problems as Internet says its liver area I do get it after alcohol as well? But maybe alcohol does trigger this off
    • Posted

It sounds like it could still be gallstones. It's worth getting it checked out. If it is early stage you can save yourself a lot of trouble by getting diagnosed and getting rid of it before it gives you real trouble. I suffered for over three years before I was taken to hospital for nine days with cholecystitis. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Then I had to wait a further 7 months for the operation. They are in no hurry to remove gallbladders. The wait is very long.
    • Posted

The biliary colic I experienced was so much worse than feeling a bit like a stitch. The pain was very severe whenever I got an attack. My attacks always happened at night, just as you described Lisa. The pain was so apalling in my case that I also had various tests done on my liver and pancreas and I had two ultrasounds. The surgeon told me I have a single large calcified mass blocking my gall bladder and that the gall bladder itself is completely contracted around this 'calcified mass'. She was nice enough to say "you must be in terrible pain"! 

Ive just had my preoperative assessment and will hopefully be getting my cholisysectomy soon.

Does anyone know if they still allow you to keep your stones? I remember my grandmother had an old jam jar with the gallstones she'd had removed in it. I remember they were speckled with different colours.

• Posted

Yeah the pain is worse than a stitch but that's the only way I can describe how the attacks started for me. When I had a full blown attack I struggled to breathe even and I didn't know what to do with myself. It felt like trapped wind, constipation and a stomach full of acid all at once. Gripping pain.

Re keeping the stones I was told categorically no, I couldn't have them or even just one. Something about someone getting seriously ill once or something. Health and safety gone mad. I said I wasn't going to eat them, play marbles or create a rockery in my garden but they said I couldn't have them.

• Posted

To be on the safe side, I would not move any very heavy things until you know more as your tummy will might have a bit of inflammation as well. Just take things easy! Hope you soon have answers and get help for this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.