Gallstones and exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I am awaiting a scan to find out whether my abdominal pain is due to having gallstones, my GP seems to think it is due to the nature of the pain and where it is. Just wanted to ask if anyone else experiences increased pain after exercise???? I have stopped running which I really didn't want to do but I thought that the high impact might have been affecting my condition. I've now started swimming instead but the pain still seems worse after I've exercised. sad. This is so frustrating! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leannet18, I am the wrong person to help you with this as I cannot exercise at all, due to being confined to a wheelchair. I hope you get sorted out as it can't be easy if you have already been doing it regularly.

Good luck any way. Sandrog

• Posted

Although regular exercise can typically help prevent symptoms worsening, the physical exertion can make gallbladder attack worse. So be a picky when it comes to exercise. Walking and biking were best for me, though you need to find out what suits your body better.

Diet can help you little as well, especially if you are low on exercise and hence at more risk of gaining weight. The best thing for you to do is eat less fatty foods, even if you don't see a difference right away. If exercise is definitely causing your gallbladder pain, you should discuss a more aggressive treatment approach with your doctor. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Feel better soon!

• Posted

Leanne,

I had an issue like that when my gallbladder was acting up. I played Ice hockey and I had pain and dry heaving during games and always felt horrendous afterwards.

• Posted

This is an interesting one. I can only tell you of my own experience.

3 Years ago I had TKR and up until December 2014 was still doing physio exercises.

Then in December I started having stomach pains and bad pain in my right side. It turned out to be gallstones and I had my gallbladder removed at tend of April.

While I was getting these pains with gallstones I felt unable to do knee exercises so have really lapsed.

I went to Aquq Aerobics last week and realised how unfit I now am!!

So I have said to myself, OK rest period over time for action and am gradually trying to get back to doing exercises again.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.